CFS and Head Congestion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Oct 17, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Do any of you with cfs keep a lot of head congestion , sinus/ear issues, off balance feelings and all the other misery with cfs? Not like a cold just a fullness, weird feeling in head along with blury vision . Have been treated so often with antibiotics that I can't take them anymore.

Allergy test were negative, didn't have the food testing. Not sure whats going if its just a part of cfs or something that could be treated. My doc doesn't have a clue.

2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Yes I have that head congestion all the time an it's exactly the way you describe.

I think it's good that your allergy tests were negative. You don't need allergies on top of all this.

3. onset1990

onset1990 Member

yes to all of your symptoms. It seems i have a chronic allergic type reaction all year that has no apparent cause. Drives me nuts!

chronic sinusitus, ear issues on and off, vertigo at times (mine seems to be viral relapse)

fullness in head almost al the time. never breathe freely unless I am at the beach breathing fresh clean air.

Try looking up vasomotor rhinitus at

"Though rhinitis is commonly thought of as a response to the deposition of allergens on the nasal mucosa, a significant percentage of patients suffering with rhinitis are not allergic. So-called non-allergic rhinitis is not one uniform syndrome but instead a collection of disorders that lead to the classic symptoms of rhinitis including rhinorrhea and/or nasal congestion. The types of non-allergic rhinitis are varied and include vasomotor, hormonal, drug-induced, irritant-induced and many others (Table 2). Non-allergic rhinitis may effect as many as 30-50% of rhinitic patients and is especially common in patients with adult-onset nasal symptoms."

This is what my doctor suggests I have. It's common.
  4. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Consider trying Nasonex, it's general anti-inflammatory not just antihistamine and you take it two weeks then stop it two weeks

The only thing that works for me since regular allergy medicine doesn't help me (because I don't have allergies!)
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks Tee and Onset, now what do you do for relief from this ? I think I have tried about everything seems nothing works.

I awoke this morning with the horrible sinus headache but seems to leave when I get up but the congestion, nausea, ear fullnes is still with me. This has been going on to long.

Thinking of trying the darn antibiotic again but then the side effects. The doc says I have never taken the antibiotic long enough to get rid of the chronic sinusitus infection but after about the 5th day they do a number on my stomach even with the probotic.

Seems a no win situation. Sorry, you two have to suffer..

God Bless,

6. onset1990

onset1990 Member

using a humidifier every night in bedroom (cold mist not hot, hot mist makes me more congested!)

and I use a HEPA filter (room-size) every night also. That's the only way I avoid the sinusitis I used to get every year, that lasted forever.

I also rinse my sinuses with water in the morning. I just sniff it up and blow it out.
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Greatgran - I've just been reading about the possible effects of chloramine in water supplies. In many areas of the country, chloramine has replaced chlorine as a disinfectant. You can check with your local water agency to find out if they use chloramine.

Unfortunately, chloramine comes with a whole list of possible side effects, including respiratory irritation and sinus problems. See to learn more about it.

It's much more difficult to get rid of than plain old chlorine. It's just something to think about --

8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank to each for your input. I have been sooooooo sick with the head /sinus thing now its the ears, no pain just the horrible fullness, body aches, weakness. I am not sure what is wrong. Guess sinus/ear plus cfs I am trying all the natural remedies to avoid the antibiotic as I have exhausted all of them , I think.

I did try the Nasonex but it seemed to cause my ears to ring louder and the stuffness/fullness worse.

I am drinking apple cider vinegar in distilled water, using a decongestant, bufferin, xanax, vitamins going to give it one more day if I can stand it.

Oh, the humidifier doesn't seem to work, when I get this bad but it sure doesn't hurt.

I am calling to make an appointment with the ENT but now to sick to even go. Hope the vertigo isn't on the way.

God bless,
  9. sportsmom628

sportsmom628 New Member

I feel for you. I have the same thing, and I due have seasonal allergies also, almost all year around. I was on Nasonex but stopped working and got to expensive anyway, my Doc put me on a Generic fluinisolide I believe is how it is spelled, it helps great I take my 2 sprays each nostril with 1 tylenol and sometimes 1 benadryl if real bad and within a few hours I feel great. I know just more meds to add to the list, but thats what my doc recommended to me. I take it every 12 hrs as needed only thing is it burns like heck but just for a minute. Hope you find some relief. Good Luck!
  10. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Nothing works for me. :( I just view this as one of the major symptoms of CFS. Sometimes it's better than others.

11. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sportsmom, thanks for your reply. Since I don't have allergies wonder if your combo would help me. I can't take antihistimines so what is this fluinisalida is it a steriod or for sinus ear congestion? Glad you found a combo that works cause this stuff is miserable.

Tee, bless your heart you have such a time with this darn cfs.. I can tell each year how much worse I am getting. I think I am with you Nothing has worked for me thus far. Did I mention that I am now trying apple cider vinegar 1Tlbs in 6 oz water twice a day , so we shall see sure can't hurt.

On top of the head, ear misery all the other goodies of cfs. I acutally think the virus hit my head and ears and has never left.

God bless you both,
  12. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I like apple cider and use it on my salads a lot. Hasn't helped this head congestion for me though.

13. sportsmom628

sportsmom628 New Member

The flunisolide is generic similiar to nasacort and Rhinocort, which is what I was on after the nasonex. The Rhiocort was working great but again the insurance thing. It is considered to be in the category of corticosteroids. But if you cannot tolerate antihistimines, thats why i only take 1 sometimes if real bad. He also told me to try the over the counter zyrtec which I use the Walgreens brand but had to be taken everyday and may take upto 2 weeks for full effect. But my flunisolide clears me up so well no more headache, no more congestion, no more heaviness in the head I think it is great. I don't use it everyday either only when I get real bad and you can use it once a day or twice a day. But definetely gave me same relief as the Rhinocort. I hate steroids but I had gotten to the the point that I didn't care and since I dont use it everyday dont really have much side effects, just kind of makes me jittery if I drink coffee with it. Hope this info helps.

Good Luck
  14. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Greatgran - I realize my post re chloramine wasn't very helpful, even if it is part of the culprit.

I've been having a lot of respiratory/sinus problems myself for quite awhile. I think a weakened immune (part of CFS) may be the root culprit. I have tried many herbs trying to boost my immune system, with not too much luck.

My chiropractor did give me a thymus gland extract from STandard Process (called Thymex) which helps some.

A new doctor has just started me on a special vitamin supplement specifically developed for AIDS patients, with their compromised immune systems. It's called K-Pax, it's pharmaceutical grade, and here's a link with more info:

I've started on the equivalent of the Immune Support capsules a third of the way down the page. It's too soon to tell if this will help, I'm going very slow (took 2 today). The bottle shown is 120 capsules for $39.95, but you may need to take around 8 capsules a day. If you read the ingredients, they are for an 8 capsule serving. So this is pricey, but is supposed to be very effective, they are having good results with AIDS patients.

You're absolutely right, it's not good to keep taking antibiotics.

If these end up helping me, I will definitely post about it.

15. Empower

Empower New Member

Unfortunately, you and I are always in the same boat! SInce the beginning of Oct, I have been totally miserable with sinus issues, today being the worst

Maybe you should have the food allergy testing

I have such a sinus headache today, I could just cry