cfs and high cholesterol- anyone lower it naturally?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmama2, Aug 6, 2009.

1. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i have high chol for years. once again my dr wants me to go on statin medication. i told him let me first try to lower it naturally.

i am doing research on what foods to avoid, and what foods to start eating more of for heart health and try to lower chol. (oatmeal, foods w high fiber, beans, raw almonds, garlic, etc.)

of course- i will take supps like fish oil, and vit d, and b vits, etc. co q 10.

the new supp i will try is called red yeast rice extract . it contains natural statin like compounds. claims to lower cholesterol. well, i will find out if it does that for me. i bought it today and will take it (hope for no bad side effects) and then get my chol retested in 2 months.

have any of you tried this red yeast rice extract? results?

anyone tried to lower chol thru diet? results?

thanks
    bigmama2

2. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

My dr. was astonished that mine came down 20 pts in 4 months with 500mg time release niacin/non flush. I take it 2 times a day.

No side effects, no itching/burning sensations, nothing except lower numbers, almost normal now.

hope the red rice supps help you, I've heard they are very good.

skeptik2
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Bigmama - I lowered mine quite a bit using pantethine, fish oil and flaxseed oil. Pantethine is a special form of pantothenic acid and for some reason it is very effective at lowering cholesterol, which pantothenic acid is not. I order it from Swanson Vitamins on-line.

Also 4,000 to 6,000 mg. of fish oil a day, and a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseed several times a week.

I also cut out almost all sugar. I was eating a lot of raisins, thought I was being healthy .... too much sugar.

I have read good things about red yeast rice as well, but have not used it.

Anyways, I think you can lower it without the statins. Those scare me to death. Good luck!

Mary
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

My husband had high cholesterol and the doc insisted he go on meds but he too wanted to try to lower it without meds. His friend told him the same thing happened to him and he started drinking Apple Cider Vinegar 1 to 2 tablespoons in a glass of water twice a day..

My husband did this every morning after breakfast and in the evening after dinner, he went back for his 3 months check up and the doc's office called this week and told him his labs were excellent , he also had elevated blood sugar and blood pressure , which now is running in the normal ranges.. The doc couldn't believe it and told him what ever he was doing to keep it up..

He had tried the diet and excerise before but didn't seem to help until he added the vinegar.

He does exercise everyday and watches what he eats, mainly just cut back and now great lab results, so I am going to try it to prevent from having elevated cholesterol.

We both take the supplements Co-q10, fish oil, vit d3 and multi-mineral vits.

I am beginning to have an elevated blood sugar so going to try the vinegar can't hurt..

It worked for him , not sure it will for me or anyone else ..

Good Luck,
    gg
  5. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

thanks for the input and suggestions!

i am doing fish oil and b vits- but i may look into the special b vits that you guys mentioned. maybe ap ci vin too. glad to hear someof you had success in lowering chol naturally.

today i had oatmeal with blueberries and ground flaxseeds on it. now if that isnt healthy i dont know what is! LOL it was really tasty too- honestly!

bigmama2