CFS and Insurance Co Explanation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jude, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Jude

Jude New Member

I called my health insurance company to see why Chronic Fatigue Syndrome was no longer a covered condition. They said that because the AMA does not recognize this as a bonifide illness that it wouldn't be covered. Because CFS cannot be determined as bacterial or viral or something of a genetic disorder it won't be covered. Unless more research is done to determine etiology it will not be covered. This is freightening to me. My primary diagnosis is fibromyalgia but I believe it was triggered by CFS. At the moment, I am stunned.

Jude
  2. Jude

Jude New Member

I called my health insurance company to see why Chronic Fatigue Syndrome was no longer a covered condition. They said that because the AMA does not recognize this as a bonifide illness that it wouldn't be covered. Because CFS cannot be determined as bacterial or viral or something of a genetic disorder it won't be covered. Unless more research is done to determine etiology it will not be covered. This is freightening to me. My primary diagnosis is fibromyalgia but I believe it was triggered by CFS. At the moment, I am stunned.

Jude
  3. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I'm new at this, but I was under the impression that both CFS and FMS were recognized by the AMA and that Social Security also recognized it? Could someone set me straight?
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

recognizes it...geez....Just another way for insurance companies to shirk their responsibilities. Don't have your doc, give it that name, as wolf suggests.
    Karen