CFS and Joint Replacement Surgery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ahf, Jul 15, 2003.

1. ahf

ahf New Member

I'm posting for a friend with CFS who's contemplating hip replacement. We'd like to hear from anybody who has had joint replacement and has ANY immune disorder, like CFS, where you get lots of infections. She wants to know if, in your experience, the infection traveled to the involved joint after replacement surgery, and what happened.

Thanks very much.
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

from what I have heard. Its the anesthesia not the surgery that is the problem. But hopefully you will get some answers from post surgical people.
  3. jmreidel1

jmreidel1 New Member

I have had 2 hip replacements in the last 8 months. I have FM and think I also have CFS or an undifferentiated connective tissue disease. I did not have a problem with infection going to the joint involved. I was very scared of this before going in, but escaped without one. Instead I got a blood clot! However, that was due to complications that caused my inability to do any weight bearing after surgery. The docs give you IV antibiotics before and after surgery. I also took oral antiobiotics for three days before each surgery.