CFS and loss of appetite

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeunefille, Nov 3, 2005.

1. jeunefille

jeunefille New Member

does this happen to anyone else?

I feel like I'm having nutrition issues because I'm in college and eating crappy food...but not enough of it. My physician told me I lost ten pounds in a couple of months and asked if I was doing it on purpose. I thought I was gaining weight and have had a fear of it since people on here always talked about it.
  2. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

Happened to me, but I'm not in college.

I'm guessing you're typical college age, 20something?

I'm 42. We're both at life stages where they'd expect us to gain weight - college usually adds a few pounds, they say.

But a few months ago, I just dropped all my extra weight for no real reason. My appetite was down some, but that realy happened after the weight was mostly gone.

At the time, I had not changed meds in about a year, so I would not blame that. Some of my meds make people gain (elavil), some make them lose - like topamax and provigil.

I lost 20 pounds or so - went from about 122 to 100. but I'm only 5'1".

Since your diet was the 1st thing that came to your mind, I'd follow up on that. Gut instincts are often right. This one will be tough for you if you live on campus with no place to cook for yourself. Maybe you can befriend people who have their own apartments and get them to invite you for dinner? Even paying for some groceries is cheaper than restaurant tabs.

Good luck!
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

He just doesn't seem interested in eating a lot of the time. Wish I had that problem! He shouldn't lose any more, as he is pretty thin. But part of his weight loss is probably due to food allergies...right now he is allergic to beef, dairy, baker's yeast and corn. So that is limiting. He really can't eat out because of MSG, which really makes him sick. So you're not alone in the weight loss department! Take care....
  4. upnorth

upnorth New Member

I know several folks with CFS that are very skinny.
    I have lost 30lbs with CFS. When folks comment I say "best weight control there is, being sick with no appetite" Lately the problem has been food allegies. Since i was a little overweight before, my Dr. is not worried yet.

The best thing is probably to figure out WHY you're losing the weight and second - is it too much?

I hope your DR. is helpful.

Good luck
    -upnorth