CFS and mitochondrial dysfunction - article (NCBI & NIH)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, May 16, 2009.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Very interesting article, referencing "ATP profile test" - I want to see where/how they got this test done.

whoops - just looked at it more carefully - looks like Sarah Myhill is one of the authors - through her office in the UK she offers access to the ATP profile test done by labs there - why don't we have it here in the U.S.???

Chronic fatigue syndrome and mitochondrial dysfunction.Myhill S, Booth NE, McLaren-Howard J.
    This study aims to improve the health of patients suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) by interventions based on the biochemistry of the illness, specifically the function of mitochondria in producing ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the energy currency for all body functions, and recycling ADP (adenosine diphosphate) to replenish the ATP supply as needed. Patients attending a private medical practice specializing in CFS were diagnosed using the Centers for Disease Control criteria. In consultation with each patient, an integer on the Bell Ability Scale was assigned, and a blood sample was taken for the "ATP profile" test, designed for CFS and other fatigue conditions. Each test produced 5 numerical factors which describe the availability of ATP in neutrophils, the fraction complexed with magnesium, the efficiency of oxidative phosphorylation, and the transfer efficiencies of ADP into the mitochondria and ATP into the cytosol where the energy is used. With the consent of each of 71 patients and 53 normal, healthy controls the 5 factors have been collated and compared with the Bell Ability Scale. The individual numerical factors show that patients have different combinations of biochemical lesions. When the factors are combined, a remarkable correlation is observed between the degree of mitochondrial dysfunction and the severity of illness (P<0.001). Only 1 of the 71 patients overlaps the normal region. The "ATP profile" test is a powerful diagnostic tool and can differentiate patients who have fatigue and other symptoms as a result of energy wastage by stress and psychological factors from those who have insufficient energy due to cellular respiration dysfunction. The individual factors indicate which remedial actions, in the form of dietary supplements, drugs and detoxification, are most likely to be of benefit, and what further tests should be carried out.

PMID: 19436827 [PubMed - in process]
    PMCID: PMC2680051

[This Message was Edited on 05/16/2009]
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Very interesting. I asked my doctor about getting this test but she said the hospital lab does not have it and is mostly used for research. She is very knowledgeable about FM/CFS which is why I chose her.

Didn't some people send samples to England? Was the test expensive?

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You can check out Dr. Myhill's website for info re the test. If you live in the UK, it's a fair amount cheaper because of the exchange rate between the dollar and the British pound, and also the airfare for sending the blood samples to the UK is rather expensive. I think all told it's close to $500 for someone in the U.S. and maybe 2/3 (or less) of that if you're in the UK.

I've been considering doing the test, it's just so expensive.

She has a good website, with a link to several articles, including the one she got published in January 2009 re mitochondrial dysfunction and CFIDS. If you just google Sarah Myhill, you'll find it.

4. consuegra

consuegra New Member

It is possible to do this test from the US. As has been pointed out, it is expensive. It takes some doing to get the blood there in good shape and it is a bit dicey. Fedex shipment itself is expensive. You have to send it Fedex and to a special address, which is not the lab. Also you have to fill out waybills and custom forms in the proper manner. Even then it takes two days minimum and usually longer. Each time I sent samples, Dr. Howard was able to work with them. The test gives you a good picture of part of the problem (if you believe this kind of thing). This is an experimental test and the invention of Dr. John McLaren Howard.

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

What sort of results did you get with the test? It is encouraging that Dr. Howard was able to work with the samples you sent.

6. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

Finally, someone getting to the root cause or pathophysiology of CFS. thank you for posting this. Now all we need are more feedbacks and more info on this test and it's implications on treatment.
  7. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

Sarah Myhill, Norman E. Booth, John McLaren Howard: Chronic fatigue syndrome and mitochondrial dysfunction. Int J Clin Exp Med 2(1):1-16,2009. (Abstract, full text PDF).