CFS and Quitting Smoking - should we?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by foxglove9922, Feb 22, 2006.

1. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

I was told by a well renowned CFS doc that quitting smoking while having CFS is determental to your emotional well being. This was at least 4 years ago and all I can remember is that we who have CFS fail to produce (something) that smoking does in the brain causing severe depression.

Well, I'm into my 4th week of quitting cigarettes and must admit that the physical part of it was nothing but the mental and emotional anguish is unbearable. I am in a severe depression that I have never experienced with this illness.

Has anyone else gone through anything like this while quitting smoking. I have also by the way, put on 9 pounds in 4 weeks which I also find upsetting.

I REALLY want to know,,,,,,is it wise to quit smoking while you have CFS? Not, is wise to quit smoking, period?,,,,that's a no-brainer.

I wish I could talk with my local physician about this but he is clueless about CFS and CFS doc appointment is not until April. I know someone here must know what is happening.

Many thanks for any responses........foxglove
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm afraid I've never heard of this, that smoking can actually be GOOD for you?????

I know that some people can be more nervous and down when quitting smoking but that will pass.

You can only do yourself GOOD by stopping smoking, please continue with your battle. You're doing really well.

I stopped two years ago and I'm so glad I did. I'm not wheezy anymore.

love
    Rosie
  3. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Her doc said the same thing..not that she should smoke..but it would be better to quit once they get her extreme symptoms more under control. He felt that the stress of not smoking would exacerbate her symptoms . So, it is not a question of should you quit..we all know it is not smart to be a smoker...but WHEN would be the appropriate question I guess! Meanwhile, eating well, apples help lungs by the way...and taking care of ourselves in other ways may help counter act the damage from smoking.
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I had severe depression reactions to quitting, and I only smoke about 5/day now. And it didn't just last for the first few days or weeks, as they tell you the worst w/drawal happens, it dragged on for mths and mths. It's what usually dragged me back to smoking, I wanted to think straight.

She thought detoxing and quitting smoking were the start all and end all to curing any environmental disease. But part of her wrong thinking stems from she doesn't distinguish how different FMS is from environmental illness. Anyway, I've acheived substantial recovery from a bedridden state where no one could come near me w/out triggereing severe chemical sensitivity. And Stormyskye is pretty much normal now, and she still smokes like a chimney, inside her house, as far as I know.

jeanne
  5. coping1961

coping1961 New Member

i have also read somewhere that stop smoking can be bad for the thyroid. that anyone that quits with thyroid problems need to be retested. i quit jan 4th of this year and was on 100 mg of synthroid. since quiting my hair is falling our again skin dry more tired and all to the other thyroid symptoms. will be retested at end of the month.am sure my meds will be upped.

just to let you know, i was hypnotized at 6:30 jan 4th and have had very little problems. i have quit 2 or 3 times before and this was the easest. i was smoking 2packs aday.it will take about two months savings of not smoking to equal the money for the hypnotist.
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

foxglove:
    I gave up smoking five years ago. It was one of the best thing I did since I had been a lifetime smoker, sometimes almost two packs a day. I also gained some weight, but somehow felt so much lighter mentally. Good luck to you.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  7. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Many, many thanks to all that responded to my post and I hope others see this who may be contemplating quitting or have and are experiencing what I am.

It was Dr. David Bell who told me that the brain of a CFS person will not produce enough (something) dang,,,,it must be dopamine which will bring on severe depression and of course the self torture of failure because it is so difficult for a PWC to quit.

I have literally been bedridden since quitting, only been out of bed long enough to go to the doctors once in the last 13 days. Since quitting, my brother had open heart surgery, my SIL was hit, dragged, and killed by a drunk driver, my boyfriend broke up with me due to my irrability, I've had shingles, and now Bells Palsy for which I have to have a MRI because the CT scan showed I had a stroke.....but when? I guess the MRI will give further light on this. I imagine all these stressful events are contributory but for the first time in my life, I'm losing my will to keep fighting and this is truly getting scary.

My CFS daughter also quit smoking with me and is experiencing the same intense feelings of depression which neither of us are familiar with. I discovered this morning she was seeking out sites on "CFS and quitting smoking".

Actually, the physical part is a piece of cake. I never crave a cigarette nor do I miss them a bit. What however is bothering me is my emotional self which has dramatically changed since I quit. I am a sad, angry, irrational person who I am unfamiliar with. I no longer bath, comb my hair or do any household chores, answer the phone or door, prepare meals or drive. Now that I think about it, even my physical well being has taken a nose dive since quitting,,,,,,shingles, bells palsy, and just today I found out my usually slightly high thyroid function is dangerously low. I think my mind and body went into shock.

Is it REALLY wise to quit smoking while being ill with CFS?

Has the effects of quitting smoking cigarettes while being ill with CFS been studied?

Has anyone else here with CFS had success with quitting cigarettes and maintaining a quality of life?

Many thanks for all the responses.......foxglove

8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm not sure if it's harder on our bodies or not but I'm getting ready to order the NicoCure patch system. Have to wait until next month money-wise though.

From what I've read, it's the best OTC system and helps with the other withdrawal symptoms that are known to be difficult.

Hugs and good luck,

Nancy B.
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Wow, they never want to admit that stuff do they. It seems simple to me, whatever the drug, chemical and even poison or toxin (think botox) there seems to be good medical uses for it, they just have to find them and apply them safely.

Btw, Wellbutrin (aka Zyban) works so well for many smokers who want to quit, or not, because it is the only a.d. that works on dopamine, which nicotine also targets and enhances in our brains. I have no desire to put myself through nicotine w/drawal for now, but when I went on Wellbutrin and even when I just increase it a bit, it is amazing that w/out even trying, I smoke less and my need for it goes way down. Works the same when I reduce the Wellbutrin too, which I'm doing lately, I smoke more.

Jeanne

Jeanne
  10. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I can't imagine that there would be much hope of recovery while you're smoking. If you're feeling depressed, and we've all gone through that, then try to address the depression rather than going back to smoking. First I would try a couple of supplements that have helped me with episodes of depression, SAD etc. Tyrosine in the morning 500 to 1500 mg is very helpful and Tryphopan 500 to 1500mg at bedtime. Both of these supplments will help increase the amount neurotransmitters in your brain which, are often the cause of depression when they are low.

On the other hand, I was also a smoker once. And I know how difficult it can be to quit and stay off. I think I've quit at least 10 or 15 times. The last time was about 18 years ago and never had a desire to go back...But please hang in there and try some other things. The smoking is just pulling down your energy and vitality further making it more difficult to get your life back.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2006]
  11. vp

vp New Member

I've never smoked, so I'm by no means an expert on this.

I would think quitting anything addictive would be stressful on the mind and body.. The more addictive---the more stressful.

I know giving up caffeine took it's tole on my mind and body, and I hear smoking is worse. Hang in there you'll be glad you did.
  12. ellikers

ellikers New Member

The only reason that smoking calms you down, is that you are addicted and your body needs the drug.

I really don't know about going through that withdrawl, but I would try to get off of them as soon as you think you are feeling even slightly able to.

They are horrible for your body. In my opinion, there are way to many horrible reasons not to smoke- it's highly carcinogenic, decreases your lung capacity (won't help us get well, because it would make us even weaker) just all around horrible for you.

It sounds like it would be best to have lots of support and other methods of coping in place ... including possibly using antidepressants to get off them. I think it would be worth it if I were trying to get off them.