CFS and SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Feb 13, 2006.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

did i read somewhere on the board that the feds have no rules or guidelines in place for accessing CFS claims?? if so, can someone direct me to that post or let me know where i can find that information online. i've just been denied, getting ready to appeal and i assume it would be helpful to direct the case worker to these guidelines.

eddie
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Eddie - if I were you, I'd look into getting an attorney for the appeal, and they should be able to advise you re any guidelines or lack thereof.

I was initially denied my disability claim with "just" a diagnosis of CFIDS. On appeal, my doctor added a diagnosis of PTSD and I think that's what won my case. I have read that you're more likely to win with multiple diagnoses, and that mental ones like depression or PTSD carry more weight than CFIDS alone. Of course it shouldn't be this way, but that's the way it is.

I did go to an attorney when I was denied, and he told me to file the appeal on my own, and then if I was denied again, he would help me, but I don't know if that's the best way to go. I did win on my own, but feel extremely fortunate that I did.

Good luck --

Mary
  3. NifferA

NifferA New Member

Go to the socialsecurity.gov website and do a search on chronic fatigue syndrome and you can find the information.
  4. cerise

cerise New Member

SSA does NOT include CFS (or FMS) in their List of Impairments. There's a web site called severenet.com where you read & print out the List of Impairments, as well as the SSA website.

Because of so many CFS disability claims, SSA finally issued a ruling to clarify their policies for developing and evaluating claims for disability on the basis of CFS/CFIDS.

On 4/30/99 SSA published SSR 99-2p: Policy Interpretation Ruling Titles II and XVI: Evaluating Cases Involving Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

This ruling is published in its entirety in SSA Policy Site POMS Section DI 24515.075B.

cross reference to:

SSA Policy Site: POMS Section DI 24515.075 - Evaluation of Chronic Fatigue Synrome (CFS)

POMS - Program Operation Manual System is Social Security's Manual for covers disability benefits. http://policy.ssa.gov/poms

You can get a copy of the Social Security Ruling through the SSA web site or severenet.com or several other sites on the internet. www.ssa.gov or www.socialsecurity.gov

I filed for SSDI/SSI based on CFS in July 1995. My case is STILL pending!!! I would highly recommend you at least consult with a couple of attorneys to find out if filing a disability claim on the basis of CFS is the best route for you to go to get benefits.

SSA does NOT smile kindly on claimants with CFS.

Good Luck!