CFS Antidepressant, what has worked best for you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shanwill, Jun 17, 2006.

1. shanwill

shanwill Member

Just saw a new GP and he asked if I was depressed and I said what comes first the chicken or the egg.......who the heck wouldn't be depressed with this DD!!!

He thinks I should try an antidepressant...wonders if it wouldn't help and maybe remove a layer to help manage symptoms more. I've tried Prozac in the past but didn't really notice any difference so am abit aprehensive and don't like the idea of taking drugs in the first place.

But if it works and really helps I may try another one to see. What has worked for you?

Thanks,
    Shan
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I tried a bunch until I found Celexa and you may have to too since they work differently for everyone. The thing that I also found is that we often need very different dosages that what is considered standard. Celexa's smallest dose is 10 mgs but that was too much for me. I ended up cutting the pills in quarters before I could tolerate it. It was helping some though; either that or it screwed up my own serotonin so bad that now I'm having a dilly of a time. Try everything else first if you're very sensitive to meds. Start getting outside more in the sun (with a hat). We're usually very deficient in vitamin D which your doc can check with a blood test.

I can tell you this: if you start an AD, be sure you allow yourself plenty of time to taper off when you need to. lI wish I'd know just how long.
    Marta
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

I had problems with side effects with most

The one that helped with energy was Effexor, but my stomache and couldn't handle it
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Amino acid 5-htp helps me with sleep and did help my mood too. It converts to serotonin in the brain. I can't tolerate prescription ADs.

Mary
  5. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I've been on two antidepressants specifically for CFIDS issues- I've read research that the psychoactive medications like ADs can help with a wide variety of immune system problems, pain issues, sleep trouble etc and can be helpful to people who don't even have depressive symptoms.

Remeron (generic name = mirtazapine) has been wonderfully helpful to me. I have no side effects (aside from drowsiness about an hour after I take it- and I take it before bed so it's super helpful). The usual reported side effects for this med are sleepiness (which, again, is WONDERFUL if you have insomnia or any anxiety/sleep trouble) some weight gain and appetite increase. It works on two different types of neurotransmitters: seretonin and norepinephrine, and is tolerated better in most people, compared to other anti-depressants. it's especially helpful for people with anxiety or insomnia, as I have had panic attacks and anxiety issues and the med has helped and AMAZING amount. (Also, no sexual side effects, and the med is generally reported as having a very low incidence in sexual dysfunction in people taking it)

Prozac (generic = fluoxetine) I was on this for a short while, to help "boost" the effects of the remeron when I was still having some pain problems. I was on a low dose (10mg) and eased off it gently. I didn't have any side effects from prozac either, and I found it helpful. It works on serotonin release or activation in the brain.

6. Jordane

Jordane New Member

I am on the Remeron and Amitriptyline,together.

But the Amitriptyline is to boost my pain meds.

I take a half of an ativan,.5mg.,if I get really panicy.

But what works for one may not work for the other.And it also depends on what you want in your system.They all have their side affects.

Good luck!!
    Jordane
  7. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Why would you assume we aren't being careful? And that we haven't researched the side effects?

I understand that you're trying to help.

I have solid medical advice that is helping me with my illness and they have prescribed me the anti-depressants. It's not like I can get them over the counter!

I weigh the choice very carefully, just as I would any medication. :)
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

I haven't tried the ADs yet but do have anxiety and depression.. I would love to hear if they do help with CFS symptoms..

Have been taking xanax for years but feel they are losing their affect and don't want to up my dosage..

Hope you get some good advise..

God Bless,
    greatgran
  9. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Mollystwin is absolutely right - read all you can about anything your doctor suggests you take, so that you can make an informed decision.

My former doctor put me on Effexor 2 years ago and its side effects mimic my CFIDS symptoms. I have been trying to wean off of it for 6 months now with great suffering.

Amino acids, including the 5HTP, have helped me with depression, sleep, and energy.

Best wishes :)

Roseblossom
  10. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Just thought I would mention that celebrex is an anti-inflammatory, not an anti-depressant ... that's super odd you had a bad "trip" on it. Hmm.
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

It is very valuable for everyone to be reminded to be careful.
    Many people just trust their doctors and don't find out until it's too late what a huge problem they have to stop a med.
    Doctors don't often explain what will happen when we stop drugs.
    It is no insult to warn people based on our own experiences,
    that is what we are here for.
  12. intensemom

intensemom New Member

Every AD I've ever been on has helped to a certain extent. Unfortunately, AD's can only do so much. Each one had their own pros and cons. I've been on effexor and zoloft...both helped with pain and depression; but the dry mouth, weight gain...ugh! I also took welbutrin for a while...the only thing it helped was weight loss! I am now on Prozac. It is supposed to help with daytime sleepiness. For me, it has had the least side effects, with the best results!

Tracy
  13. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I never said that it is NOT "very valuable for everyone to be reminded to be careful" ... I actually specifically wrote: "I weigh the choice very carefully, just as I would any medication."

My point is that it can sometimes be frustrating for me to hear someone basically say "do this" like I haven't already considered that. My problem is with the wording, but not exactly the message- I understand that it is important to be careful, and I and many people I know are careful. I just don't like the assumption being made that people don't think before they start medications.
  14. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

have worked well for me, and for members of my family and some of my friends . It is best to start ona LOW ( very )
    dose and raise the dose SLOWLY if you tend to have problems taking meds.

I find the initial side effects are not so apparent , and they disappear after a brief time.

I know MANY MANY people who have taken both of these meds .
  15. sues1

sues1 New Member

My DH and I often say when one is going on a trip or such...."Be careful"....it is a loving gesture that means....I want the best for you and I need you and so forth.

I often will say be careful when weather is bad and he is driving.

I know he is a marvelous careful driver and alert. But somehow I feel that if I do not say that (and he feels the same about saying it to me) and anything happens.....I never took the time to say "Be careful".......I also say I love you.....so Be careful and I love is sort of an oxymoron. But we still say it.

I do not take it otherwise when I am told this by others to mean we do not trust you and you need told..No, that is not the meaning.

We do this to people we care about.....Blessings.......Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2006]
  16. suzetal

suzetal New Member

It has helped with my pain but not my depression.

Sue
    PSSSSSS:::: Do not put your email address in your post or reply it is against the rules and for your protection .

All who have not please read the rules so you know what you can and can not post.

Just a little reminder.
    Sue
  17. reckabek

reckabek New Member

Ive found for the mental..me zoloft and paxil, has been the only ones that helped w/ anger. but not so much w/ the anxiety..weird hu considering haha..it did help w/ social issues tho.
    I found for pain, outside of good ole' VICODIN..neorontin. I was amazed that after a few weeks, i was like WOW...i can move w/.o an ache..cool.
    what stinks for me, is i really should be on ANTIS...but then its like i have to add a thousand pills.... xanax is a life saver...then i go onto a ssri, i cannot sleep like i did w/o em, so i have to add a sleeping agent, most so far will help me sleep yeah, but then i dont want to wake up and im the worlds biggest...BLANK~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...need i say more. but dr's wont just give me xanax...they want me to take a cartell of meds.... viscous cycle. well thats what i find, sorry for the continued rant...beck
  18. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

10 mg lexapro is the only med of any kind that i take. it helps keep my pain and anxiety levels in check, prevents migraines and i sleep better. downside is daytime sleepiness and low libido (sometimes). before i went back on the lexapro, i almost had my energy levels where i wanted them, then i got caught in a vicious migraine cycle and had to go back on the lexapro. now the fatigue is back. it's a carousel, a balancing act, wish i had the answers.

eddie
  19. cathat31

cathat31 New Member

I have been on Effexor for about a month, it is really helping me deal with the stress of everday life and the FM. It does have a couple side effects first I have been having headaches but can deal with them, I have no appetite and have lost 7 pounds which I am not complaining about but the biggest side effect is the sex drive lose that my husband does not like, but it works wonders on the depression.
  20. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

cathat - I agree with you over Effexor. I was put on huge doses of Ativan in a clinic and lost all memory of the 5 days i was there and the 2 weeks after i got home.

I have been on Paxil, Prozac, and all the others and the Drs. started me on too high doses and I about climbed the walls!!!

At Mayos i was put on Effxor and I purposely began with small doses and went to higher slowly. When I got to my current dose, my blood pressure went up and was put on Rx.

BP went down to 110/62 usually and Effexor did the trick. Don't know if I have gained weight from it or ICE CREAM but it doesn't matter. No depression or anxiety.

Gentle hugs and good luck to all,

Joan