cfs: anyone able to do a little aerobic exercise?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chilene, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Chilene

Chilene New Member

has anyone who's had cfs/me for awhile been able to do any (small amounts) of aerobic exercise (like repetitive warmup exercises, a bit of dance or bike riding) without disastrous effects (aka flare-ups and bad post-exertional malaise)?

i'm so worried because i get the racing heart here and there, as well as the post-e. malaise. not sure the racing heart is even related to exertion, though, or not. though i almost always get the chest "pain" (costochondritis/fibro) a day after certain types of exercise (even if it was for very brief periods).

i want to exercise some, again (not just walk a block)!

;) chilene
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2008]
  2. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i can swim, do water exercises without bad reactions.

i can take a 20 min walk.

i can do stretching and try to regain my flexibility.

i recently have been trying to get back into very mild low impact aerobics, but that is causing me to flare -post exertional malaise. total bummer. treadmill- same deal.

before cfs i was very into fitness and dance.

bigmama2

3. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I have fm, and I can do weight and stretching exercises, but have never done them for the length of time recommended due to ADHD.

However, I can cut the grass (my lawn mower is battery operated, so it is lighter than usual), pulls weeks, clean the house, wash the car, but I take breaks every 2 hours.

I try to simulate an 8 hour work day this way.

But after two days of doing this, I crash.

I had a two day garage sale, not really busy, not a lot to set up, and on the third day I took a 2 1/2 hour nap, and on the 4th day took a 1 1/2 hour nap.

Lillie

4. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I think what most doctors recommend for this situation is water aerobics. I have FM/CFS, and am supposed to start my first lesson in water aerobics tonight at 6pm. I'll keep you posted.
  5. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

Shan1078 - I need to do this too. Motivation is a factor. Calling around to find a class is as daunting as getting ready to go to it, even though I have someone who would go with me.

Let us know how you feel. I took a water aerobics class 23 years ago when I was pg. Felt great.

Good Luck

Lillie