cfs article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LindaJones, Dec 6, 2009.

1. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

My friend gave me this article.
    I don't know if the information in the article is correct.
    Please read and tell me what you think.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Linda - That article had absolutely "nothing" to do with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The woman in the story was suffering from stress and probably depression. I'd try and find your friend an article about CFS and send it to her. She obviously doesn't understand what CFS is if she would even consider sending that one to you.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

TL gave a good suggestion, I would agree. However, you know your friend better than I do and whether this would actually work.

Unfortunately, some people never "get it". That is frustrating for you and sad for her. I don't know if she just does not have compassion or is unimformed. Remember you may not have control over what he/she thinks.

I could not get pass the title, "Do you choose to have chronic fatigue instead of dealing with emotions." That may not be the exact title as it made me see red!!

None of us "chooses" to be sick.

If I could think my way out of this DD, I would have been cured a long time ago.

Keep us updated on how your friend reacts if you choose to do this.

Take care.

4. Juloo

Juloo Member

The so-called 'GoodTherapy' turned out to be very bad medical advice.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

This is yet another exp of the typical inaccurate, it-is-all-in-your-head, b/s that has been spread about CFS. Here are the comments I left on the site:

Depression and stress can certainly contribute to chronically being tired, but that is VERY different from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. CFS is a serious and debilitating PHYSICAL illness that has many more symptoms than simple tiredness and the forgetfulness that can accompany it.

There have been many, many studies proving the very real, very physical issues connected with CFS. Things like; sore throats, swollen glands, lesions on the brain, orthostatic intolerance, low blood volume (& consequent reduced blood flow to the brain and heart), “sticky” blood and cells that are shaped differently (causing an unusual form of anemia), diastolic cardiomyopathy, continually activated immune system, mitochondrial dysfunction, high levels of H2S, and sleep cycle disturbances are only some of these. The recent discovery of a retrovirus XMRV is another one that has been strongly linked to CFS.

CFS is a neuroimmune disorder, not a result of “swallowing” feelings, as this article stated. As I said, there are certainly people who get chronically tired and forgetful as a result of failing to deal with their feelings, and they need to know that there is help for this. However, what they are experiencing is NOT CFS. Please stop adding to the misconceptions about CFS.

[This Message was Edited on 12/07/2009]
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I agree with gap, the title is beyond infuriating. I had to seriously restrain myself from saying a lot more and in a much more PO'd tone when I wrote the comments. Of course, if I had said what and how I really wanted to, it would have just made it look like I was simply unbalanced and would in effect "prove" their point. I so wanted to let the author have it, though......good therapy, my b*tt! It offends me as a therapist to see this kind of cr*p.
  7. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

This is another example of the exploiting of the devastating name,
    CFS, out there on the web. Thank you, OP, for bringing it to our

Aunttammie, it must have been reeeeeeal hard to keep your anger
    in check, but what an excellent job you did presenting the real

Facts will get them every time.

8. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

thanks - it's nice to know that it came out all rt...I just saw, though, that when I posted on here somehow my comments to this site got mixed into the middle of my comments to the article.....I just rearranged it so that it is more accurate (didn't change anything, except the order)
  9. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

I think it would be more accurate to say that ongoing stress makes cfs symptoms worse and can also be an obstacle to recovery. Stress management is important for people with cfs/fm.