CFS Awareness Reaches American Medical Association

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mezombie, Nov 21, 2006.

1. mezombie

mezombie Member

News of the Nov. 3 press conference hosted by the Centers for Disease
    Control and CFIDS Association of America has reached the prestigious
    and influential American Medical Association (AMA). Just a few hours
    ago, a report was posted to the AMA's web site and will be published
    in the Nov. 27 edition of American Medical News, "the newspaper
    for America's physicians."

HEALTH & SCIENCE
    Campaign puts a spotlight on chronic fatigue syndrome
    Treatment tips for physicians are provided in a new CDC initiative to improve care for the many people with this disorder.
    By Susan J. Landers, AMNews staff. Nov. 27, 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is intent upon raising the profile of chronic fatigue syndrome, a puzzling condition that often evades medicine's traditional diagnose-and-treat radar.

After years of research, a critical mass of scientific data is providing solid evidence that CFS is a valid medical concern, said CDC Director Julie Gerberding, MD, MPH. What's more, she said, it affects about a million people in the nation.

Dr. Gerberding unveiled Nov. 3 a national CFS public education and awareness campaign called "Get Informed. Get Diagnosed. Get Help."

Suspicion that CFS was not a real disease has dogged physicians and their patients for decades. After all, who doesn't get fatigued, the critics asked. Now the message is that this is a real illness that needs real medical care, Dr. Gerberding said.

Thousands of research studies provide abundant evidence that CFS is a physiological illness, not a form of depression or hypochondriasis, according to the agency.

Central to the new education campaign are materials designed to help physicians recognize and treat patients who have the debilitating syndrome. Early detection is key to a successful outcome, said William Reeves, MD, director of the CDC's Viral Exanthems and Herpesvirus Branch, who also spoke at the event.

CFS is characterized by profound, debilitating fatigue that lasts at least six months and results in substantial reduction in occupational, personal, social or educational activities, according to the CDC's new CFS Toolkit for Health Care Professionals. The fatigue is not improved by rest and may be worsened by physical or mental activity.

Please Note: This may be just the introduction to the article. The rest of the text is only available to AMA members or subscribers.

[This Message was Edited on 11/24/2006]
  2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I get the newsletter from CFIDS too and was glad to see this. Just one more arrow in our quiver to use on Drs who don't get it!

Thanks,

Shar
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

What's good about this is that almost all doctors, especially primary care physicians, are members of the AMA. They are more likely to read this than any of the other articles we've seen so far.

(I'm posting this especially for those who don't subscribe to CFIDSlink.)
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

We've all seen doctors, I'm sure, who believe that CFS is just depression. It's very satisfying to know that many of them will read this.
  5. mezombie

mezombie Member

6. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

what is the role of AMA? never heard of it.

a little thin this information, dont you think so? at least they could have mentionend Kamaroffs remarks and a bit more about the part about the ongoing reasearch?

thanks
    karina

7. mezombie

mezombie Member

The American Medical Association (AMA) is the largest professional organization for physicians. Membership is voluntary, but most doctors join because of the information exchanged, conferences, etc. Anything coming from the AMA is taken quite seriously by physicians.

I agree the article could have been more indepth, but it's better than nothing. Hopefully, AMA members who dismiss anyone who may have CFS will read it. It doesn't help those of us who've had it for a long time as much as people who are trying to get a diagnosis.

By the way, Komaroff's remarks about the thousands of research studies and that CFS is not depression are in the article, just not attributed to him.

We've come from the Dark Ages to the Middle Ages. So the Renaissance should come next...right?

You can find out more about the AMA at www.ama-assn.org

Take care!
    Mezombie[This Message was Edited on 11/22/2006]
  8. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Thanks for posting this, but please help me find the specific way to get to the information given to doctors in the ama website. I've looked for ten minutes and cannot find it.

Fight4acure!
  9. mezombie

mezombie Member

I copied and pasted the entire text of the article on my first post.

To find out where AMA members will see it, here's the link to the article:

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2006/11/27/hlsb1127.htm

By the way, I just love your username! It brings a smile to my face whenever I see it in print :)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2006]
  10. mezombie

mezombie Member

11. apl

apl New Member

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I too was concerned about the light content/spin on CFS in the article, but when I visited the link to the article, it appears the text that was pasted here is only the intro to the article. To view the full article one must be a member, so we can hope that there is more relevant and meaningful information within.

My stepfather is an anaesthesiologist, and an AMA member, so you all can be sure I will be asking him if I can view the full text the next time I visit (hopefully Christmas)! He was the only fammily member that threw the "trashcan diagnosis" argument at me, and it was during last year's Thanksgiving dinner too. That was fun! This might really help communication and further understanding.
  12. mezombie

mezombie Member

You know, I went to the link numerous times, noticed it appeared abridged, and forgot about that right away. Me, have short-term memory problems? Noooooo.

Anyway, thanks for bringing it to my attention (again). This time I've edited my first post to reflect that there is more to the article than we are able to access.

13. mezombie

mezombie Member

You'd start with the AMA's home page, www.ama-assn.org, then go to the right hand column and click on "American Medical News". Then you'd scroll down to the "Health & Science" heading. The article is in that section.

"American Medical News" is the AMA's newsletter for members, and is published in print as well as online. This article will be in the Nov. 27th print edition.