CFS Book Review

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

For those who might not see this on the CC Board - and care to:

For a change, this book review isn't about the latest thriller or anything a normal book club would be delighted to read. It's about a little book recently advertised for sale by ProHealth called DEFEAT Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: You Don't Have to Live With It. Furthermore: An Eight Step Protocol.

OK, yes, it was one of those days I have every now and then when I'm so doggoned tired of being tired and watching my life float on by that I could scream! While the title of this book reminded me a bit of Teitelbaum's dauntingly optimistic From Fatigued to Fantasic that I read many years ago (and still am not feeling Fantastic), I bought it. For under $10, maybe it would give me some insight I'd missed. Hope springs eternal, as we know.

Overall, Ms. Kilcoyne did a good job of "getting it" since she'd had CFS and lived to climb a literal mountain. And if a person suspected they had CFS or, better yet, was newly diagnosed, this would be a good, easy, helpful book to read. Even I, after 14 years, was nodding my head in agreement after the first few chapters.

.....And then she got to the importance of having a personal advocate..... Her advocate was her loving husband, there by her side through it all, BELIEVING. Incredible! I thought. What a wonderful thing that would be!

She professes that having an advocate is one of the most important things - along with a support network; that is, people to call on when you need help. So I admit to becoming a bit daunted at that point, since I have neither in the flesh. If it gets done, I must do it, no getting around it and no putting it off will make it go away.

But I was pleased to see that I had fumbled my way into the same types of realizations that Ms. Klcoyne did - only she did it quicker. Advocate at work, perhaps. Unlike many of us, she was also fortunate to be able to quit work quickly and Be A Patient (her words) for as long as it took. I also like her phrase "Understand YOUR Version of CFS". YES! We all have our own version - which is why we drive the doctors nuts and why what works for you may not do one little good thing for me.

While this book hasn't given me any big new ideas - and has certainly not gotten me closer to a personal advocate -it did confirm some things I know about this disease. And by the way, blissfully, nowhere does she condescend.

One thing she promotes is to keep a Daily Record - for a long time. "How tedious", thought I, "I can figure things out without all the work", but I'm doing it anyway. And she's right. I can see the pattern of causal effects of my fatigue. Don't yet know what I'll DO about them, but I can see them more clearly. I'm thinking it's ammunition for a good doctor whom I have yet to find. (Another tip from Ms. Kilcoyne: Find A Doctor Who Will Work With You. Like the advocate, easier said than done, Martha.)

It's certainly uplifting to know that CFS can be beaten, at least by some, and to think it might include us. After all, the last chapter is entitled: Be Well Again! Life After CFS.

[This Message was Edited on 07/02/2008]
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I haven't run into you for a while. How ya doin'?

You know, I think I could have written that little book in the mid. '80's. I believed it was over but had left me a little the worse for wear.

I do believe that people who rest extravagantly, or who can Be A Patient, can recover well early in the illness. I also think some (all?) may be left in a vulnerable state and must take care to avoid relapse.

I wish I had known this. Ah well, I'll know it next time.

Thanks for the review! [This Message was Edited on 07/01/2008]
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks for the comments and the bump. One never knows with this type of post if people read it without comment - or just don't read it.

Yes, I agree with you and Martha; catching CFS-ME early and going to bed are the only two quick cures that appear to work. A teacher here in town did this very thing and after a year of mostly sleeping, she's fit as a fiddle. That's her in the emoticon.

As for us here, I've heard that some pet people have an infestation of bird mites. Here we have Honey with tapeworms (treated) and gingivitis (not). Do you know how much it costs to do dental work on a CAT???

Here's to us and whatever our challenges may be!

4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Yeah, there is an important window of opportunity in ME that most people push and crash right through, unfortunately.

Poor little Honey. Poor little Marta. I do know what animal dentistry costs and few days go by that I don't feel very, very guilty about not brushing the boys tarter covered teeth. Sigh.

Just breathing while making a very loud noise.

PS Had my first truly frustrating conversation with a Vet. today who maintained that bird mites can't live more than a few weeks off an avian host and other common mite myths... I wish!