CFS/CFIDS.....Are they the Same???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by browneyes259, Oct 23, 2005.

1. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

JUst wondering if there is a diffeerence in these two DX's. I was recently Dx'd w/ CFS, but I don't present w/ a lot of the chemical, drug, etc. sensitivities that most do?

Just curious if anyone knows. I know that we all have diff symptoms w/ FMS.

Thanks,
    Jen
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Jen,
    this is how I understand it:

CFS stands for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and CFIDS stand for Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome. I suppose it depends on whether you have a depressed immune system or not.

I dpn't know of those who have CFS had depressed immune systems. maybe someone with better finormation than mine, will answer.

Terry
  3. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Hi, yes the names mean the same disease, they are used interchangeably. In some countries, the other name is Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Impressive, huh? But the fact remains that IT is debilitating, isn't it? Hang in there. Marie
  4. kalaya

kalaya New Member

One and the same.There is absolutely no differance at all,just varying abbreviations.These are not two differant illnesses,it is just two varying abbrev for chronic fatigue syndrome.
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

M.E. was what it was known as originally, a far better name I think.

love
    Rosie
  6. spmary

spmary New Member

i WAS TOLD IF YOU HAVE ONE YOU HAVE THE OTHER . i WAS DX IN 1992 BUT DIDN'T HAVE THE PAIN OF FIBRO UNTIL LAST MONTH. iT'S ABOUT TO PUT ME UNDER BUT i KEEP GOING, SOMHOW. gOOD LUCK AND LOVE, mARY
  7. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

I appreciate all of the good info.

We all present w/ so many varying symptoms that I wasn't too sure!

Hugs,
    Jen
  8. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I've had CFS/FM for probably 25 years or longer. Just this past year, I was tested for lyme and viruses. Lyme and 3 different viruses are the ROOT of my CFS/FM.

Like someone else said, CFS is not a diagnosis, it's a syndrome. Look for the reason WHY you have CFS/FM.

Now I can be moving towards the road to recovery. Its a long hard road but, hey, it beats the alternative!

Sandy