CFS chick lit-"The State of Me"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by outofstep, Apr 4, 2009.

1. outofstep

outofstep Member

It's amazing that this book exists-a 2008 novel about a Scottish college girl in the 80s who gets ME (and it then chronicles her life & struggles/limitations for the next 15 or so years). The author, Nasim Marie Jafry, knows what she's talking about as she also contracted ME during college. She really captures and articulates what it's like for young adults (especially for those in the 80s) to have this miserable disease. It's an easy beach/summer read-not sure if it's been printed in the US but you can get it on amazon.
  2. Jayna

Jayna New Member

Any good novel involving ME/CFS has the potential to educate people who couldn't be bothered to pick up a non-fiction book or article on the subject.
  3. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

especially BECAUSE it is referred to in a pop-lit medium. I have two 20-somethings whose lives have been very challenging because of fm/cfs, so I have special interest in that age group.

To hear of CFS mentioned casually and as just a "part" of the story (and am assuming it is if we're talking chick-lit!) is interesting. As always, I'll be hoping the coming years will provide some enlightment; mass-market books like this could help.
  4. outofstep

outofstep Member

You're welcome and I totally agree with you-it's also one of those books that someone could give to a friend to help them to understand what they're going through
  5. outofstep

outofstep Member

It's a really unusual combination since it covers chick-lit territory, but the CFS is a big part of the story since the illness affects every aspect of the character's life (but without being too clinical or preachy). I think that it would really resonate with your 20-somethings.
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I am definitely going to have to look for this one at the library, or see if I can get it through inter- library loans.