CFS Day...spreading accurate info

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AuntTammie, Mar 5, 2009.

1. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

There is a day in May called CFS Day, and the CFDIS association has some suggestions as to how to increase awareness of the day and the illness. One of those is to distribute free pamphlets about the illness. If you go to their website: and go to the link on the left that says free brochures, it will go to a page that has a link to educational materials and also one called, introducing CFS. The one for educational materials is for getting mass quantities, the other one will go to a "shopping" page (they are free, though) and it has a bunch of different brochures that are available. Though I haven't yet ordered these, I would imagine that they are accurate information, bc the CFIDS association is not a money motivated organization. They actually care about us and about helping.

Anyway, I am going to get some of these and see about putting them in the library, doctors' offices, etc. and I thought that I'd let people on here know about it, bc if a lot of us do this, it could make a difference. If you don't feel up to bringing this to your library, etc, maybe even just share it with some friends and family and maybe ask them to help spread the word. Even if you only share it with a couple of people that would help.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

just bumping this back up so more people can see it & hopefully help spread the word about what CFS really is
  3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i rarely use the term "cfs". i always say i have a subacute brain infection.

if i ever get well enough to go back to work, perhaps i will use the term "CFS" then, when it will work in my favor, since CFS sounds like a minor condition.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I know what you mean about it sounding like a minor condition, but that's a big part of the reason why we need to spread accurate info. I have so frequently encountered people who say, "Oh, yeah I get tired, too. You just have to push past it." They don't get it at all, and actually when I was able to work I found that saying that I had CFS did not help. It just made people think that I was being lazy and letting my tiredness get the best of me.

This is exactly what getting accurate info out will help with. People need to know that it is serious and it's not just normal tiredness. Plus, if there is more accurate info out there, it will help those who are able to work, in that it will make it more likely that employers will be willing to make necessary accommodations. If they realize that it is a disability, they will have to be willing to make reasonable accommodations bc of the ADA act. Otherwise, like I said, they tend to look at it as being lazy, wanting unneeded accommodations, wanting to get out of stuff, etc.
  5. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

aunttammie - great idea!

Thanks for posting - I just need to think of some places where I can leave brochures, I like the idea of the library - you get alot of diversity there.
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

also had some ideas about places to leave pamphlets and just other general good stuff, too