CFS doctor in Southern California?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nspiker, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Nspiker

Nspiker New Member

I need to find a new doctor in the Southern California area - I live in San Diego but am willing to go wherever I can find a good doctor. Currently I am seeing Dr. Salvato in Houston and love her, but my Disability company is requiring me to get a doctor in-state. I have a viral based CFS syndrome and need to find a doctor that can support my illness as well as my LTD. Anyone know of a good doctor in Southern California?
  2. sh2angel

sh2angel New Member

If you find one let me know too..I also live in San Diego and I haven't found one yet..
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Have you checked out the website for the Fibro and Fatigue Center in Torrance, CA. I believe some members here have seen Dr. Holtdorf - the following is from his website. If I am not supposed to post this I will remove it.

drholty@usa.net
    Tel: 310-375-2705
    Fax: 310-375-2701

WELCOME TO OUR WEB SITE!

Specializing in Natural, Prescription, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement, Preventative Medicine, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

- Hypothyroidism & Low Thyroid Syndromes
    - Adrenal Insufficiency
    - Human Growth Hormone Replacement
    - Natural Bioidentical Estrogen & Progesterone
    - Testosterone Replacement
    - Treatment of Fibromyalgia
    - Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Our Specialty Patient Treatments
    Treatment of Hypothyroidism and other Thyroid Disorders
    The thyroid is located just below your Adam’s apple at the front of your neck. Thyroid disorders can affect our sense of well-being, our metabolism and our ability to ward off viruses and bacteria. Some of the most common symptoms of low thyroid are weight gain, depression, fatigue, unrefreshing sleep, anxiety/panic attacks, brittle nails, constipation, diffuse hair loss, sensitivity to cold, significant calloused heels, chronic yeast infections and even infertility. We specialize in comprehensive testing to properly diagnose any thyroid deficiencies which may exist. Standard testing does not pick up 80% of patients who are low thyroid. Our treatment options for this condition are state of the art as we customize and have compounded for you bioidentical thyroid which exactly mimics what your body should normally produce. The amazing results include weight loss, enhanced sense of well being, resolution of hair loss, improved skin tone, enhanced immunity, which wards off chronic infections, increased energy and significantly reduced risk for cancer and heart disease.
    Link to Thyroid Page.

Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia
    Symptoms of these diseases include flu-like fatigue and pain that can be severe, a constant feeling of exhaustion, specific tender points that hurt, body aches,, muscle stiffness and pain, insomnia, “fibro-fog” mental confusion, and irritable bowel syndrome. Oftentimes any combination of these symptoms can diminish your quality of life and in severe cases can actually inhibit you from being able to carry out basic daily life functions such as working and/or driving a vehicle. We specialize in the treatment of these syndromes. First, we stabilize the patient and address any hormone imbalances. Low adrenals, low thyroid and low growth hormone are amongst the many components which are reviewed by the physician. Included is the treating any infectious components of the disease such as Epstein Barr (EBV), Herpes Virus 6 (HHV6) or the multitude of other common viruses, intracellular bacteria or yeast, which most often lead to or exacerbate these syndromes. Lastly is the mitochondrial treatment, which enables normal functioning of the muscles with the absence of pain and a renewed surge of energy followed by the maintenance phase, which is designed to maintain the renewed energy and improved functioning. Kent Holtorf, M.D. is the Medical Director for the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers which utilizes the latest medical research in treating these diseases.
    Link to CFIDS/Fibromyalgia Page

Treatment of Adrenal Fatigue
    Low adrenal function is often very common, but often missed by standard blood tests. Low levels of adrenal cortisol can result in the following: hypoglycemia, fatigue, muscle aches, low blood sugar, sugar or salt craving, shakiness relieved with eating, moodiness, food sensitivities, allergies, recurrent infections, life stressful when symptoms began, dizzy when standing, low blood pressure, decrease ability to handle stress, decreased cognitive ability “brain fog”, swollen ankles-worse in PM, hypoglycemia under stress, need to lie down or rest after psychological or emotional stress, muscular weakness, difficulty getting out of bed, wiped out with exercise and/or inability to tolerate thyroid replacement. Proper treatment can have profound effects.

Treatment for PMS-Pre Menstrual Syndrome
    PMS is characterized by a clustering of symptoms in the premenstruum (before the period) and an absence of symptoms in the postmenstruum (after the period). Irritability, lethargy and depression are a triad of symptoms that are often present with this condition. Other symptoms may include, breast swelling, water retention, food cravings, severe constipation, hot flashes, migraines, back pain, fibrocystic breasts, weight gain and acne. There is no doubt that PMS often results when the hypothalamus and pituitary glands become dysfunctional. Because the pituitary gland produces hormones that go to a variety of target organs, several glands may be affected such as the ovaries, thyroid and adrenals. Family history, birth control pills and estrogen dominance are some of the most prevalent risk factors. Left untreated, PMS can lead to ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids, endometriosis and fibrocystic breasts. Oftentimes women with PMS hope that next month these same painful symptoms will miraculously resolve on their own. Unfortunately without treatment, these symptoms rarely just go away. Laboratory analysis and evaluation of your particular symptoms will determine our course of action. Gamalinolineic acid, Indole-3 Carbinol, prescription strength natural progesterone and a variety of other wonderful treatments are available and will truly improve your life.

Treatment for Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids and Fibrocystic Breasts
    See above

Treatment for Migraine Headaches
    Migraines are four times more common in women than in men. Typically onset is at puberty and they disappear at menopause. Migraines almost always worsen around the two days before and the first two days of menstruation. This is thought to occur because estrogen and progesterone levels drop suddenly before and during menstruation, this causes spasms in the blood vessels at the base of the neck and can be responsible for severe headaches. Low adrenal function can also be the cause of migraines. Natural, bioidentical, transdermal estrogen and prescription strength natural progesterone in olive oil frequently relieve severe hormone related headaches. A complete laboratory analysis can tell us which of many variables may be causing your migraines and a customized profile utilizing the latest medical advancements will be implemented to resolve migraine reoccurrences.

Treatment for Perimenopause and Menopausal Symptoms
    Perimenopause is the 5-10 year span around menopause when ovarian hormone production begins declining. When menstrual periods have not occurred for a full year, menopause is considered to be complete. Blood tests can confirm if you are approaching or are currently menopausal. There are some very proactive approaches to take when this time comes to remarkably enhance your health and vitality and prevent the early onset of degenerative diseases, excess weight gain and depression which statistically can accompany this new stage in your life. Nutritional and hormone laboratory analysis can be a wonderful tool in maximizing your health to feel and be the best that you have ever been. Many natural prescriptions and non-prescription supplements boost collagen production in our skin, help tone sagging muscles, boost immunity and energy levels, rejuvenate hair and nails, aid with sleep, eradicate hot flashes, boost brain function and these are only a few benefits. If you are currently on synthetic hormones such as Premarin or Provera, it is an excellent time to explore your many options with natural, bio-identical replacement which gives you all the above wonderful benefits without compromising your health and well-being. There are over 20 years of medical studies on natural hormones showing their safety and remarkable health benefits.
    Link to natural Estrogen and Progesterone

Treatment and Prevention of Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancers and other Cancers
    Breast cancer is most prevalent in women over 50 years of age and who are in menopause. While estrogen levels drop during menopause so do many other anti-aging, cell protective hormones such as melatonin, thyroid and DHEA. Lack of these hormones are related to the aging process as is also estrogen loss a catalyst to the aging process. As men and women age, the immune system becomes less efficient, increasing the likelihood of developing cancer. That’s why men get more prostate cancer as they get older and women get more breast cancer as they age. Medical studies show that women who have had multiple pregnancies tend to have the lowest breast cancer risk. It appears that the high levels of hormones in pregnancy, especially natural progesterone (not Premarin and Provera/progestins) protect women from breast cancer. Targeted prescription oral natural progesterone, Indole-3 Carbinol and new cutting-edge immune system enhancers that stimulate the immune system to unprecedented levels has proven remarkably effective at treating cancer and preventing the occurrence or reoccurrence of cancer. We can also run state-of-the-art laboratory tests to determine your risk factor in developing cancer at all and customize anti-cancer strategies and treatments to significantly reduce your risk. Many of our patients’ cancers have been found to be undetectable following treatment.

Treatment for Type II Diabetes and other Metabolic Disorders
    This is a condition where the cells become resistant to the hormone insulin. Insulin is the hormone that lowers blood sugars, so in order to keep blood sugar levels normal, the body must produce increasing levels of insulin. This increased insulin production results in continual weight gain and an increased risk for heart disease and cancer. Our laboratory testing can detect pre-diabetes 20 years earlier than the standard blood test, thus we can prevent diabetes. We have achieved excellent success in reversing those already diagnosed and preventing any future health complications. Studies show our treatments to be significantly more effective than any diabetic medication currently on the market.

Treatment for Digestive Problems/Acid Reflux Disease
    Those of us plagued with digestive disorders often find the problem to be uncomfortable, problematic and sometimes embarrassing. Digestive disorders over time can suppress your body’s natural ability to absorb and assimilate critical nutrients from the stomach. Many prescriptions medications suppress your stomach’s ability to produce enough acid to properly digest food. This faulty treatment assumes that your body is producing too much stomach acid, but newer medical evidence seems to indicate that the opposite is actually happening. Many digestive problems are a result of not producing enough digestive enzymes and acid to dissolve and digest food. As a result, undigested food sits in the stomach and intestines causing gas and upset in the digestive tract. Oftentimes yeast and other bacteria flourish and critical vital nutrients are never assimilated to be distributed properly and expeditiously to the cells. Bloating, gas, diarrhea, acid reflux and even malnutrition can occur. Sometimes the symptoms are so severe that they interfere with ones ability to conduct normal day to day activities. We treat this disorder with long term success. Laboratory testing coupled with diagnostic evaluations tell us if there is any yeast overgrowth in the intestinal tract that requires treatment and special digestive enzymes specific for particular patients are prescribed to enhance overall digestive health. Within a short time our patients are able to cease taking their prescription digestive medication and experience excellent intestinal health as a result.

Treatment for Low Libido
    Decreased sex drive can effect both males and females at any time during their life. Sometimes chronic stress over a period of time suppresses our body’s abilities to produce testosterone and other hormones necessary for sexual desire. Laboratory testing can measure your testosterone levels to determine if they are within an optimal range. Testosterone is the hormone in the body which arouses desire, promotes fantasies and makes you feel more in love. We also offer natural treatments for men who suffer from lack of excitement about or during sex and/or erectile dysfunction. Growth hormone has also been shown to be a very effective treatment for low libido.
    Link to Testosterone page

Treatment for Candida and other Fungal/Bacterial Overgrowth
    Bloating following meals, coated tongue and fatigue are a few of the most common symptoms of Candida. If you are curious about this syndrome, ask the doctor or one of our staff members if you may complete a “Yeast Questionnaire”. If your test comes out positive, we can perform a laboratory test to determine if there is yeast overgrowth penetrating into your bloodstream. The treatment usually takes less than 30 days and is long-lasting in benefits.

Build Bone Density without Fosamax
    Decreased bone density is of great concern as frailty is one of the leading causes of debility amongst aging adults. There are numerous proactive steps to take to prevent bone loss early on. We can easily test to see if you are currently losing bone at an accelerated rate.

Prevent Heart Disease, Lower Blood Pressure, and Cholesterol Levels the Healthful Way
    Inflammation in the arterial walls is one of the greatest indicators for the presence of heart disease and/or the pre-disposition for heart disease in the future. There are simple laboratory tests, such as CRP (C-Reactive Protein), homocysteine, lipoprotein a, particle size fractionation of LDL, fibrinogen and anti-oxidized LDL, that can determine if inflammation exists that puts you at risk for heart disease. These tests are a far better indicator for the risk of heart disease than cholesterol, yet very few physicians utilize this critical laboratory component. We do. Additionally, Americans make more than 30 million visits to doctors’ offices each year because of high blood pressure. For the majority of us, sooner or later our blood pressure is going to get too high. The artery walls lose their flexibility and no longer dilate well with each heartbeat; the rigidity of the walls increases the pressure within the arteries-increasing blood pressure. High blood pressure accelerates the aging of the heart and blood vessels causing atherosclerosis and increased risk for heart disease and heart attack. The constant threat to a person with high blood pressure is suffering a stroke due to excessive pressure in the brain. We find the cause of your high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels or high homocysteine levels. One of the many components that we will check is your thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormones keep the arterial wall flexible and blood pressure stable. Without sufficient thyroid hormones, waste accumulates between the cells of the arterial walls, slowing the entry of nutrients into the cells, thereby disturbing their proper functioning. A swelling forms around the waste pileup, swelling the arterial walls and limiting their flexibility. Blood pressure rises. Thyroid replacement in such a case will restore healthy blood pressure. Unfortunately many commonly prescribed heart medications can have serious health consequences and/or have limited medical studies of less than 4 years to back them up. Heart health can often be achieved by obtaining specialized laboratory tests and treating the underlying physiological cause of the problem. Essential fatty acids along with a methodical combination of interventions promote true heart health and longevity.

Treatments for Multiple Sclerosis
    We utilize the latest and most advanced medical treatments for MS and have obtained excellent results. If you or a loved one suffer with this illness, let us know so that we may be of assistance.

Ask us about:

Complete Hormone Balancing
    Weight Loss and Nutrition
    Prescription Cellulite Creams
    Testosterone Shots for Men
    B-12 Shots
    Gamma-Globulin Shots (Anti-Viral)
    Low Dose Allergens (Cures Allergies)
    Nutritional IV’’s
    Anti-Viral IV’s
    Powerful Immunity Enhancers
    Prescription Memory Boosters
    Therapeutic Supplements
    Latest Anti-Aging Therapies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Nspiker

Nspiker New Member

I called to schedule an appointment with Dr. Holtorf yesterday. Unfortunately, they do not take any insurance and there is a $375 first and second appointment charge.
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I needed one last year too.Someone recommended a DR john chia at little company of mary(torrance)the person's screen name was Dreamsyn
  6. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I'm going to the FFC in Torrance 9/29. I have seen many doctors in town and none have helped. Yes, it is expensive, probably will have to put it on a credit card. But, if their treatments help, it will be well worth it.
    Will your disability cover any of the costs?
  7. Nspiker

Nspiker New Member

I don't mind paying for the doctor if I feel that it would help. It appears that this is a wholistic-type clinic, althought some traditional methods are used. I have tried numerous natural methods and have seen Dr. Murray Susser at the longevity clinic in West LA. He wrote a book on CFS. I've tried IV hydrogen peroxide, vitamins, homeopathic remedies, etc. So at this time I really want to find a doctor that is experienced in CFS, but not focused mainly on holistic treatments. It has little results for my viral CFS. Thanks for your response. I hope that it works for you. I'd love to hear the results of your appointment.
    Nancy
  8. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

I see a rheumatologist in Riverside. I have been seeing him since the first of the year and believe I'm making great improvements.

I chose Dr. Franco because he is quite familiar with infectous agents as a component of CFS & FM (not because he's a rheumy).

He has also collaborated with other well known CFS researchers (Garth Nicolson, Ken deMerleir & Dave Berg).

What I appreciate most about Dr. Franco is the collaborative relationship that we have developed. Currently my treatment plan includes Heparin (for hypercoagulation), Transfer Factors (for EBV & HHV-6), and nutritional supplements to support mitochondrial function (energy production), detox mechanisms (including antioxidants), and healthy sleep patterns. I will begin doxycycline soon for Mycoplasma infection. Each person will have their own treatment plan - just thought it might give you an idea of his healing philosophy.

He has a website that you can search for. The name of his practice is The Arthritis Center. He has also written a bunch of material for the non-profit "The Road Back Foundation." This organization was formed to get the message out of the connection between infectious agents and rheumatic conditions.

Good luck in your quest! Love & Light, Laurie
  9. Nspiker

Nspiker New Member

Laurie,
    Thank You for your informative response. I've read medical documents that Garth Nicholson has co-authored. In fact I tried to call him to see if either he or Daryl See were taking patients or just researchers. I too have
    EBV, CMV and HHV6 as well as low NK cells. I will definitely give your doctor a call and set up an appointment.
    Nancy
  10. Rene

Rene New Member

Dr Friedman or zuckerbraun at Charles Drew University is doing CFS reseach in LA so its free and you get paid. One of the, can't remember which, was on Good Morning America.

Their website is goodhormonehealth.com. phone 323-563-9353. All the documentation for the LTD you can get is good. Plus its free and you get paid!! If he can't take you on as a patient I am sure he can help find one who can!
    Rene
  11. Nspiker

Nspiker New Member

Thank You so much for your response on the doctors in the study. I have been waiting for Ampligen to be FDA approved in the US. Will it ever happen? I will definitely call those doctors....Thanks Again.
    Nancy