CFS, EBV, ME - What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ali-may, Sep 12, 2002.

1. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Ok I'm just wondering about this - is there any difference between CFS, EBV and ME?

I DO know that EBV is carried by about 90% of people without it causing any problems, and so that it is not necessarily a cause of CFS.

I also know that ME seems to have all the same symptoms as CFS. It has also been said to involve an infection of the brain (hence the name Myalgic Encephalitis - sp?). So does CFS involve a brain infection also? And are CFS and ME the same thing?

The reason I ask, is that a while ago I got in contact with my local ME support group. I told them that I had been diagnosed with EBV, and they basically said that EBV is different. I got the impression that they thought it wasn't so bad, and so I kind of felt like an outcast. As a result, I've never visited this support group (even though people have recommended it to me). Anyway, doesn't matter - I have this message board now! :)

I do know now that what I have is CFIDS, with EBV being a factor in my illness.

So can anyone tell me if there are any specific differences between these illnesses? I'm curious to know if they are all the same thing or not.

Alison
  2. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Ok I'm just wondering about this - is there any difference between CFS, EBV and ME?

I DO know that EBV is carried by about 90% of people without it causing any problems, and so that it is not necessarily a cause of CFS.

I also know that ME seems to have all the same symptoms as CFS. It has also been said to involve an infection of the brain (hence the name Myalgic Encephalitis - sp?). So does CFS involve a brain infection also? And are CFS and ME the same thing?

The reason I ask, is that a while ago I got in contact with my local ME support group. I told them that I had been diagnosed with EBV, and they basically said that EBV is different. I got the impression that they thought it wasn't so bad, and so I kind of felt like an outcast. As a result, I've never visited this support group (even though people have recommended it to me). Anyway, doesn't matter - I have this message board now! :)

I do know now that what I have is CFIDS, with EBV being a factor in my illness.

So can anyone tell me if there are any specific differences between these illnesses? I'm curious to know if they are all the same thing or not.

Alison
  3. dojomo

dojomo New Member

CFIDS and ME are synonomous....They describe a collection of symptoms...
    That is what SYNDROMES are. A list of symptoms with no know cause.

Now EBV.....is a diagnosis. A virus is actually identified. Whether it causes the collection of symptoms is still debated.

There.......clear as MUD.........DJ
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

I'm not sure how many, who are trying to get ME separated from being synonomous w/ cfids. I saw this on yahoo; thought they were trying to get a more "official sounding" name instead of cfids, but I believe they were trying to have 2 separate names. They believe that ME is more serious than cfids, and the dx of cfids takes away from the people who are much more ill. That was my take on it, anyway, so if you're interested, I'd recommend you do a search there.

I was also confused on ME, that's why I did a general search. All I know is whatever they call it, there's days that I'm really really tired!! lol

Take care. Michele