CFS - exhaustion 24 hours AFTER??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by landra, Nov 14, 2008.

1. landra

landra New Member

On Wed. I went to a local Pueblo for one of their BIG public feast days. I walked about 1/2 mile is short bits, in deep sand, and saw 3 families I have been close to. I was fine when we left (Yay for chinese herbs for allergies!), and fine in the morning thursday.

But about noon Thursday, all I wanted to do was nap. I couldn't just then, but I could sit in my car while waiting for a child I was driving to appointments. When I got home I laid down but could not sleep. However, I was REALLY foggy - I forgot I was supposed to take a friend to dinner!

Today I am still foggy, yawning, could just stay in bed. I would not be able to do anything demanding.

Anyone else experience this? Is this to be expected?? I have not been well enough to try anything so ambitious till now, so did not know what to expect. .... Won't schedule dinner the next day, next time!
  2. landra

landra New Member

I have had times when I knew I was wasted and that it would be a few days recovering. What surprised me was the time lapse! I thought if I was OK Thursday morning, then I was not going to crash. Oh well!!
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

yes post exertional malaise - we do something and we 'pay the price' - starts anywhere from a few hours after to 36 hours after and it can last for days/weeks.

Its very difficult to pace ourselves, to learn what we can do - and when you have a bit of energy of course you want to use it.

Hope you feel better soon.

4. 3gs

3gs New Member

th at seems to be the question!!!!!

I find there is no more planning. I can rest day before only to get up the day of said plan and oops not happening.

Then there's the days when yippee I can only to get slammed 24 to 48 hrs later.

Its nuts
  5. landra

landra New Member

Nuts sure describes how I feel!!

All my life I catch virus' easier than other people - and over and over I heard - you have to figure out how to ... get sick so often ... take care of yourself ... avoid things that set you off ... You all have heard it.

Now I guess it is worse!! Oh, rats!!

But I guess I should be glad that it is "just" PEM, and not a full-blown viral-type reaction. Oh well.

thanks for the info and the support.
  6. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

My b.i.l. asked me to help him with some cookie recipes next week - all he wanted me to do was to just sit in the kitchen and read the recipe and help him with instructions, and he'd do all the work. I said I will if I'm able to, but I don't know how I'll be doing. He seemed a little miffed that I couldn't give him a straight yes or no, but there's no way I can know ahead of time...

The past day or two, I've been knocked flat on my back, and I don't have a clue what has caused this latest crash/flare. My symptoms have gotten worse and worse... with p.e.m. getting worse and worse.

If I didn't have the Lord to hold on to and help me through, I don't know what I'd do! These diseases are b r u t a l !! Love and prayers, Debbie
  7. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

It's called delayed PEM. i can go for a 15min walk today and feel fine afterwards. However, i "crash" the next morning and can't get outta bed for many days afterwards with horrible exhaustion, brain fog, wired anxiety, weakness, insomnia, no appetite, etc. It's so whack!

Does anyone know of any other illnesses with delayed PEM?
  8. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

Landra...I have this happen all the time. We went to an actual party 12 days ago and I drank 2 glasses of wine (extremely rare for me). The next night and for the next 10 days have been dealling with crash. Of course we never know if it was from being around others and we "caught" a little bug, or processing some food, some toxins, etc.

I have learned to pick and choose any kind of outing or activity and do explain this to people. You know you might have only a certain supply of energy and when depleted, you might not be able to do the next thing on the "list". My family has learned not to push. Its just a given.