CFS fatigue vs drug induced vs lack of sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendi, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Lendi

Lendi New Member

How do you explain the difference between the 3 types of fatigue. I know that if I sleep well, my mind is better, but I may still be incredibly tired, not sleepy tired. On the other hand, certain medications, that are suppose to make me sleep, just make me wiped out. Sure, I sleep but then I'm tired during the day as well so what's the point? They are different feelings, and I do know the difference, but I can't describe them to my dr. who just keeps insisting that I'm not sleeping and that's why I'm tired. That's not it. Actually, with meds I do sleep 5 or 6 hrs, but I'm still tired, not sleepy. I'm seeing a new Dr. today and I'm not sure how to talk to her. Any suggestions appreciated.
  2. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

non-restorative sleep? Is that the right term?

I know I can sleep (on my "own") and wake up feeling the same tired. I can take Benadryl (which actually helps me sleep) but am still fatigued all the time. I have tried anti-depressants (for pain and sleep) but they react terribly on my body and I can't sleep. Am still tired.

It is the chronic fatigue tiredness. I'm not sure if anything I said helped but when I see the word fatigue I always know inside of me what it means in my certain circumstance.

Just tell your doctor what you said in your post. It sounded right to me. Someone who doesn't experience this type of fatigue is never going to understand it anyway.

Let us hear how you came out.

Pam
  3. nct

nct New Member

between fatigue and being sleepy.
    When I first got EBV, here is how I described it.
    I was never really sleepy, but totally fatigued and had no energy at all. And no desire to care. I'd lie in bed, watching TV. When I got up to hit the bathroom, I'd stop by the kitchen to get something little to eat as well, so I wouldn't have to get up again for at least 2 hours.

What sleep I did get did me very, very little good.

My legs always felt heavy, and there was the brain fog as well. When it was really bad, I'd have to work to lift my arms to grab the TV remote. :)

I would also get "noodly" and shaky in the knees-felt very weak.

I'm not using sleep medications now, so can't really talk to that. But I'm gonna try Dr. Teitelbaums stuff, so we'll see.

If your body is tired, but you don't feel like sleeping, that's fatigue. It may be exacerbated by not sleeping well, but that's not the same thing. A vicious circle; the fatigue hampers good sleep, then the lack of good sleep hampers your waking hours.

Hang in there

Nancy
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Has been a lifesaver for me. It allows restorative sleep without groggyness in the morning. I am suffering fatigue right now, but I believe it's due to messing with my antibiotic.

Love, Mikie
  5. Lendi

Lendi New Member

My appt. seemed to go pretty well. The Dr. listened, at least which is more than I can say for most. She changed my thyroid to armour, yeah. I'm hoping that will help. She also changed my anti-depressant from celexa to lexapro which may or may not be a good thing. And, I go back so we'll see. She said that there really isn't much to do for the CFS fatigue, but did seem willing to work with me. And, was pretty much clueless about which med to use for sleeping other than elavil which I can not tolerate. And, she said she would let me try Klonopin but that if I have trouble with elavil I probably really have a problem with it. So, I go back in 2 weeks to see how it's going. Thanks all for your suggestions. I felt more confident with your help. Lendi