CFS/fibro changes after menopause?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dlebbole, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Just wondering if anyone has found their symptoms to get better or worse after menopause hits. Any kind of hormone replacement or herbal supplement is out because I'm being treated for cancer. Diane
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

so far haven't seen any difference with anything being in menopause (haven't had a period since last November). So I guess that's both good and bad news...

Victoria
  3. kimkane

kimkane New Member

i have had cfs for 9 yrs now. i did not fms until after my plumbing was taken out. the dr. that did that gave me the wrong hormones for 6 months and he would not listen to me, so i found my old dr. again, thank god!!! at that point i was so sick i thought i was dying. the new dr. knew exactly what it was FIBRO,,, now my body will not except an oral hpormone, so have to inject myself, it is the cleanest way for your body cause it does not go thru the liver.
    hope you find some relife. please keep us posted
    hugs kim
  4. Carolyn0508

Carolyn0508 New Member

My fibro problems started almost concurrent with menopause and I believe it's for two reasons. Estrogen regulates serotonin (or so I've read) which is what gets us into the deep sleep phase so many fibro-ers lack. And though we continue to produce some estrogen, our progestrone falls to almost zero. Progestrone is also a factor in our sleep cycle. In addition to Celexa and Xanax, I take natural micronized progesterone (my insurance covers it) and flax seed oil (which is a phytoestrogen and has helped with the night sweats and hot flashes so much. Hope this was helpful.

Cheers
    Carolyn
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My fibro got much worse during the peri-menopausal years.
    I went through early menopause, which I blame primarily on fibro.
    The good news: After menopause, my migraines went away completely, and my pain level in genral went down a lot. I used to take narcotics, but now only take Tylenol, and some days not even that.
    The bad news: After menopause, my memory problems got a lot worse, my blood pressure jumped from 110/70 to 160/90, and my cholesterol jumped from 163 to 274 with no change in diet, weight or exercise. My weight moved from my thighs to my upper abdomen, adding 8 1/2 inches to my waist without any gain in weight. Worst of all, my personality changed and I went from Little Miss tolerance and understanding to a grade A, certified, angry bi*ch! I take specially compounded progesterone drops for this and it helps a bit, but like all hormones I've tried, it really puts the weight on,and that I do not need!

Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2003]
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Have FM, not CFS but it did get worst after menopause stated.

The pain, headaches, hot flashes, hot flushes, etc. all escalated.

I did not take any HRT of anykind. Too much cancer in my family.

As for personality, well I was aggessive all my life, so did not see the change like Klutzo did :) I have been called a B---h since I was a child, so that did not change!

You mentioned you were being treated for cancer? Have you looked into 'Essiac' by the Resprin Corporation? you might want to search the web and do a little reading about it.

Since my whole family died young of one form of cancer or the other, I have taken this herbal tea for prevention for 9 years. Just a thought.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Thanks for all the info and advice. I have heard of Essiac, but can't remember much about it. I'll look into it, thanks. Diane