CFS/Fibromyalgia Polio

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AltoLiz, Sep 21, 2006.

1. AltoLiz

AltoLiz New Member

Just picked up a comment by 1975jet regarding Dr. Richard Bruno's book "The Polio Paradox". I started with CfS in 1989. Since then fibro has taken over, but as a child in the early 50s it was thought I might have polio. Don't remember much, there was a lot of polio here in the UK. Has anybody had the same type of experience. I am going to see if I can get this book, thankyou 1975jet.
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I understand that the entrovirus that cause polio may be similar to the one that (possibly) causes CFS. When my polio vaccination was due a few years ago, my G.P. & I decided that I shouldn't have it.

There's a chronic post polio fatigue that can come on many years after the initial polio, & is very similar to CFS/M.E.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Wow, I often say I feel like I have polio.

Don't know, it seems more and more these viruses are all linked to human papiloma (herpes) . I listened to Professor Epstein answering questions about Epstein Barr virus (it is his discovery) and he said that they do not know why the EBV rate goes up in many viral infections except that EBV is linked to Herpes and this virus may actually be fighting other invasive viruses, or when it is reactivated(the EBV to higher numbers) then other viruses may get in.

Even the experts don't know. Interesting area to think about though.

Love Anne
  4. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I hope you get the book- I read some parts over 3X - would like to get this book for my library sometime. You will be amazed my dear.... there is so much controversy about the late affects of polio- Dr. Bruno seems really hit it all on the nail... Just to let you know, I have a polio friend that has PPS along with FM & CFS- so it is something to definitely look into.
    be well Janet
  5. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

Not sure about the connection there. My mother in law had polio as a child but I see no evidence in her haveing either cfs or fibro now.

She is very active and sometimes I think I am older than her she seems to have so much more energy than me.

But thats not to say that some others might be affected later on. If had to use her as an example I would say there is not a connection but I am certanily no expert there.

Teri
  6. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Hi there, Not everyone that has had polio will get PPS- I believe it depends on how many neurons were affected during the attack of the virus.... Plus not everyone that had polio will get FMS or CFS -

One strong factor that I have read about in these illnesses is Stress could very well bring all this on...
    tell your 'Mom" god bless her... I know somedays I feel like I am 90++++ - and alot of you all are so much younger than myself - Sucks!
    Janet
  7. AltoLiz

AltoLiz New Member

Thank you for all you comments, I intend to get Dr. Bruno's book, will post a comment, so watch this space.
    God bless
    Hilary
  8. u34rb

u34rb New Member

I had temporary paralysis of a leg for a few days when I was ten in 1956/7. At the time I was living in the S E of England and polio was endemic especially for anyone living near water, (the River Medway in my case).

Polio wasn't diagnosed probally because I recovered completely after a few days. But then 37 years later (in 1994) I developed the symptoms of fatigue and pain, etc, that are still with me. So I may have PPS.

I have read some of Dr Bruno's work and I think it's very relevant.