CFS flare after surgery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by andrea1459, Jun 7, 2006.

1. andrea1459

andrea1459 New Member

HI
    I have had the surgery for sleep apnea on May 17th. I am recovering well throat wise, but the CFS has come back with a vengeance on me, as well as panic attacks. I was wondering if any of you guys have experienced this and how long it lasted?
    I am so skeptical about going on antidepressants because they make the fatigue and brain fog even worse.

Andrea
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Yes, I experienced this as well. My first surgery was a breast reduction, and that sent me into a flare. That flare led me to go to an infectious disease doctor after running daily fevers. The ID doc diagnosed me with CFS. That was in June of 2004.

I was just starting to recover from the first relapse when I had to have emergency surgery for appendicitis. That sent me into another relapse. After that it was pretty much up and down for me. For a while, this past fall and winter, things seemed to be going pretty well. I was able to function with just one nap a day, my fevers were staying down, the achiness was gone, etc. Then, after a bout with a bad virus in March, it started up all over again. I've been really struggling since the beginning of may or maybe a little earlier.

I can't really tell you how long your relapse will last, because it truly varies. The best thing you can do for yourself is get plenty of rest. I've tried anti-depressants in the past, and it did nothing to relieve any of my CFS symptoms. The only thing that helps me is plain ole ibuprofen for the fever and achiness associated with the fever. Ibuprofen coupled with lots of rest usually helps me from day to day.

Gentle healing hugs,
    Kim
  3. lillyrose33

lillyrose33 New Member

Hi Andreal,
    I had gallbladder surgery last month and I have been in flare up since...the longest that I have ever had. It started with rib pain then my legs and hips then the tiredness appeared. My pain pills haven't seem to help me and I can't sleep. I am starting to feel some better but having to work real hard to fight all of this. I am also on atidepressants and don't think that they are causing this because I was taking them before my surgery and I had no problems with them. Remember everyone is different but I do think trauma to our bodies does bring on flares. I haven't had any panic attacks but I am on the meds. I hope you get to feeling better and talk to your doctor about the meds and tell them how you feel. Things do get better. Good luck.

Lillyrose