CFS/FM and tooth decay

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by gb66, Apr 24, 2013.

1. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I know I've posted about this before but I have been having more and more problems with my teeth.

Last year I had an extraction and the pan x-ray showed another tooth that was in bad shape. I had it filled and then, two weeks later it broke. The dentist said it would have to be extracted because it was decayed up to the nerve and couldn't be saved.

Now, I have another one that is in the same condition. I went in for a cleaning last week and asked for an x-ray of a tooth that had been hurting.

The hygenist said it hadn't been a year yet since my last x-rays but did it anyway. The decay has already reached the nerve. I had it filled today and denstist says it will have to come out.

I don't know why I'm getting such extreme decays in less than a year. Does FM or CFS cause teeth to decay faster? I also was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two years ago. I am devasted over losing another tooth. This makes four in all.

Does anyone else have a similar problem and do you get x-rays more often? I hope someone will share some information. GB66
  2. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

My friend has diabetes and his teeth bad, although he is not good at maintaining his sugar levels.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/DA00013

i have problems with gum disease, my dentist said its not because i do not clean my teeth, but because its inherited my father has it. So my teeth are fine but my gums are tge problem and that can eat into your jaw bone. I can say i can identify with the worry of losing you teeth, i do my upmost to keep mine. Make sure you dont brush to hard, floss, my dentist recommends the interdental brushes, and do not brush directly after meals as thats when the tooth enamel is soft. And avoid to much acidic drinks like juice.

I think someone mentioned hydrogen peroxide for teeth cleaning to.

All you can do is the best you can,

Ameile
    [This Message was Edited on 04/25/2013]
  3. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Thanks for your reply. I do have some gum disease also, I've had it most of my life. For years, I didn't have a decay problem but the last few I have developed a lot of cavities.

I'm not doing anything differently so I guess it's just the diabetes. My sugar has been under good control since I found out about the diabetes though.

I really don't understand what's changed. GB66
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

Vitamin D is critical to reducing bacterial induced decay and caries in general. It does this in two ways:

1. improving enamel
    2. killing bacteria by inducing oral cathelicidin and defensin, two naturally occuring antibiotics.

You will need to raise blood levels of 25(OH)D to 50ng/ml. This can be done in most people by taking 5000IU vitamin D3 daily from November to May and 3000IU from June to October. (Northern hemisphere, assuming you get good sun exposure through the winter, ie more than arms and face)

refs: (abstracts only) or log into the Vitamin D council website

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2012.00544.x/abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22110779

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22811377
    [This Message was Edited on 04/26/2013]
    COACH.ME likes this.
  5. IanH

IanH Active Member

While dilute hydrogen peroxide is fine(less than 5vol), never use commercial moushwash that contains alcohol. This will damage your gums and make matters worse. It is also associated with oral cancer. Antibacterials are also very suspect.
  6. kchase77

kchase77 Member

Hydrogen peroxide and tooth soap.

Both have worked for me.

Best,
    Jody
  7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi GB66,

I'm really sorry to hear about your teeth problems. It sounds devastating.

Are you able to fall asleep at night without taking sleeping medication?

I'm just wondering how your calcium level is. If you have insomnia and tooth decay, maybe you should check it. Or even if it is in the normal range, maybe it would help to take some anyway.

Many people with CFS have written on this board about how they have to be really careful not to get too much calcium. For me, it's the opposite. I have needed massive amounts of calcium since getting CFS.

If I didn't take calcium I would have had similar tooth problems, and I would have had to take sleeping pills. It was really lucky that I figured out I needed it during the first year of illness.

I take calcium lactate made by the NOW company. It's the only brand and type of calcium that really works for me! Who knows why. At my peak I took 2250 mg a day, which had to be divided into five doses, because a stomach can only absorb 500 mg at a time.

Osteoporosis runs in my family, big-time. So if these illnesses pick on our natural vulnerabilities, maybe that explains it.

I hope that helps in some way.
    Forebearance
  8. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

From the time I was 35 and now 61, I have had to have all my teeth root canaled. I have NO idea why and neither do many of my dentists I have visited in these years.

I stay current on all my blood tests and checkups, so it's not diabetes or anything like that. I do have osteoporosis, but I don't think it caused all the nerves to go bad.

So, it's a mystery!

I also have sensitive gums that do get inflamed from time to time. I'm now using a water pik daily with either salt water, peroxide and water or Biotene.

9. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Thanks for all the good info. What is wrong with your tooth? Is there a cavity or is it broken?
  10. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I haven't heard of tooth soap before. I'll Google it. Thanks.
  11. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I don't think I have a calcium deficiency. I seem to be ok in that area. I think it's the diabetes that is causing my decaying problems, but it's hard to know for sure. Thanks.
  12. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I have very sensitive gums also. Always have. I have one root canal that I had many years ago. It had a cavity in it a few years ago and the dentist was able to fill it and put composite in to patch it up.
    Did you have root canals in just your molars or all teeth?
  13. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Can the filling be replaced? I've had that done a few times. If the decay gets to the nerve it can be painful. That's what I was dealing with in one of mine.

He filled it last week but it may have to come out eventually, according to my dentist.

These cavities are appearing way too frequently, between yearly x-rays. By the time the x-ray is taken, they've progressed too far to be saved. I've never had this before till the last few years.

I am wondering if anyone knows how they determine whether or not you should have the tooth extracted or try a root canal. Do you know?
  14. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I am going to ask my doctor to test me for vitamin D deficiency next time I go in. Thanks for the info.