CFS/FM Diet for GERD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redshadow, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Hello everyone,
    Well I've decided to get serious about getting on a very strict diet for CFS/FM. I've been researching on the net and find that 80% of what you should eat should be raw vegetables, fruits and natural juices which having GERD is impossible. I could probably eat vegetables if they were cooked. Eating fruit and drinking juice tears up my esophagus from the natural acid. (Before I developed GERD I ate all kinds of fruit everyday!) Of course you all know that 95% of the time you're too exhausted to prepare meals. Anyone got any ideas or diet plans that worked? I'm trying to get serious, also anyone try that DanActive drink? I always see the commercials about how it's suppose to make your digestive system strong and boost your immune system. Thanks fellow CFS/FM buddies.
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm having the same problem.....I dont rate those drinks, I think they're a con, you're much better of taking probiotics....many people here take them.

Apart from that, sorry, wish I knew too. I've thought of going to see a herbalist, if I do then I'll post back to you. Likewise if you come across any good info, I'd appreciate it.

Rosie
  3. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Thanks so much Rosiebud!!
    I'll post a topic if I find anything new.
    (((soft huggies)))
  4. Daisys

Daisys Member

I completely got rid of serious GERD (I now have Barrett's esophagus) by avoiding gluten entirely. The relief was quick and dramatic when I avoided all grains containing gluten. I'd say I knew after 2 weeks that there is a huge difference.

It seems to be a common problem, and I know others who had the same benefits by avoiding grains with gluten. I even have to avoid oats, because I get the same reaction.

I use nut, quinoa, amaranth, and coconut flours instead of gluten flours. That means I can bake muffins, and quickbreads, but not risen bread, which requires gluten.

Now that I've been avoiding gluten for over a year, I can tell if I've had even a tiny bit. My digestive system goes into spasms and purges all food immeditately! Sorry--too much information!--but the longer I'm off it, the more clear it is a problem for me.

Why not try avoiding gluten for a couple of weeks and see what happens? Be careful of processed foods tho, it can be in there, hidden, like natural flavors, vegetable thickener, etc.