CFS, FM or possibly both?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LuvQuilting, Dec 7, 2008.

1. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

I've been diagnosed with FM for years now but am wondering if I also have CFS. My worst symptom is a horrible sore throat. My second worst symptom is the muscle pain. My third would be fatigue. The only thing that has helped my sore throat is taking a course of Prednisone. But, if I'm unfortunate enough to get a cold, it throws me into another flare that will last 2-3 months. It's hard to explain to people why I can't talk. My lymph nodes aren't swollen although my whole neck and jaw area feel achey and sore to the touch. My recent cold is gone but I'm left with symptoms like I'm coming down with something. This is a consistent pattern throughout the year. I dread catching anything. I've had tons of tests. ANA results are a little elevated as well as blood protein levels. No one I ask though can explain my awful sore throat. Could this be CFS?
  2. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

Forgot to mention that I also have white bumpy things on the back of my throat and also the sides and I sometimes get sores on the back sides of my tongue. I also sometimes run a low grade fever (99. something). And have joint pain that comes and goes.
  3. fnx3

fnx3 New Member

Hi,

I also wondered about that. The rheumatologist that diagnosed me as having Fibromyalgia has produced a dvd called "Living Well with Fibromyalgia". On his list of "symptoms" he includes "chronic fatigue syndrome" as a SYMPTOM of Fibromyalgia that is ALWAYS present! So that answered that for me.
  4. Timaca

Timaca New Member

Have you been tested for EBV? What are your IgG titers?

Timaca
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have often wondered how much of my fatigue is caused by the fibromyalgia and if I really have CFS/ME as I do not have any of the symptoms such as swollen glands, and my blood tests do not show autoimmune problems.

However, now some in the medical community state there are subtypes which one, I believe is more neurological, which I feel mine is.

LQ, It does sound like you are dealing with a virus or infection. Have you been on antibiotics and do they help? Have you had your throat cultured. You might want to see an ENT.

I am not a medical professional, but the symptoms you describe sound like something is going on.

My daughter had some of your symptoms, not FM, which disappeared after she had her tonsils removed as they were abscessed. .

Take care.

gap
    [This Message was Edited on 12/08/2008]
  6. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Sounds like CFS to me...

I was dx'd in 2005 by the Mayo Clinic in FL. I have a low grade fever for a year along with, extreme fatigue (couldn't work - or make a sandwich, for that matter), swollen glands, sore throat all the time, etc. I even had a lymph node removed to be checked for cancer. (I didn't have cancer...)

I've started taking Xazal 5 mgs for my post-nasal drip. It has helped SO much with the sore throat. It's like claritin but it's only for the drip not congestion.

I have FM and CFS. When my face hurts, I know it's the CFS flaring up. All the muscles in my face hurt. My jaws hurt to move, it feels like I can't smile because my cheeks weigh too much... My eyes hurt too, they get very heavy and the top lid swells. The only thing that helps that pain (ache) is Flexiril (muscle relaxer).

I hope you and your doctor can figure this out... Good luck.

Wendysj

7. Engel

Engel New Member

It sucks!
  8. I have CFS and FM. It is quite possible to have both. I suggest you go to a CFS/FM clinic. There are many around the country. These guys saved my life. I went to the Holtorf Medical Group in Torrance CA, and now they have one closer to me now in Foster City, CA. They have out of town packages. I got rid of my 3 year long sore throat under their care. I had three months of weekly gamma globulin shots and I take Vitamin D 5000 IU daily. Vit D is a powerful antinflammatory. Three out of five people in the USA are deficient. Sesearch has found that 2000IU can reduce your chance of some cancers including breast and colon by 50%. I am on higher doses because I have blood tests for Vit D and I am still low. The medical center wants my blood test at 100 although normal range is lower than that. I was 22 and that is clinically to low before my supplements. I am also on daily cortisol 10 mg. I have a touch of a sore throat when the heater is on all night but it is not even close to what it was for all those years.
    Good Luck , Cheryl
  9. I have CFS and FM. It is quite possible to have both. I suggest you go to a CFS/FM clinic. There are many around the country. These guys saved my life. I went to the Holtorf Medical Group in Torrance CA, and now they have one closer to me now in Foster City, CA. They have out of town packages. I got rid of my 3 year long sore throat under their care. I had three months of weekly gamma globulin shots and I take Vitamin D 5000 IU daily. Vit D is a powerful antinflammatory. Three out of five people in the USA are deficient. Sesearch has found that 2000IU can reduce your chance of some cancers including breast and colon by 50%. I am on higher doses because I have blood tests for Vit D and I am still low. The medical center wants my blood test at 100 although normal range is lower than that. I was 22 and that is clinically to low before my supplements. I am also on daily cortisol 10 mg. I have a touch of a sore throat when the heater is on all night but it is not even close to what it was for all those years.
    Good Luck , Cheryl
  10. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

for all your replies. I recently found out from an MRI of my hand that I have tendonitis of the fingers! So, now combined with the throat inflammation and I know I have it in my shoulder joints and who knows where else, it's obvious I have a lot of inflammation going on. That would explain the high blood protein levels. The question is "what is causing the inflammation?" I did read somewhere that CFS can cause inflammation. I'm currently taking Plaquenil to see if it helps and I see my rheumy again in Feb. I'll have a lot of questions for her.
  11. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Hmm... Have they ruled out Lupus, LQ?

(Possible link for you: http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C161687.html )

[This Message was Edited on 01/02/2009]
  12. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

That was my thought, too. I've only seen this rheumy once so far and she did a lot of testing. When I see her in Feb. I'm sure we'll go over the speculations. I think she at first suspected RA which was the reason for the hand MRI. My Mom's cousin has lupus.
  13. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Hi, I'm new here. Couldn't help but notice this post. I've also had all of these symptoms. I was told that the sores and white things on my tonsils are...tonsilitis. That they may never go away. They have been there a long while. I do have swollen lymph nodes though. They have also been there a very long time. I get sores, bumps on my tougue. I've had a couple of drs. tell me that this is a sign of low vitamin B12. I had to stop and think at one visit if I had given myself a shot of B12 lately, because my own dr. had me do this. He says a lot of people with fibromyalgia have a need for this. It helps with the lack of..also with fatigue, and also for the sensitive feeling on our skin. When I stopped and thought of this when the "on call" dr. is saying,..oh, this is usually a sign of lacking B12. I mean I had popped up bumps all over my tongue. When I told him that I hadn't been taking my Trinsicon...a combination of B12 and iron..or doing my shots of B12, he went ahead and did a blood test. Sure enough, I was low. My bad. So, I keep up on my B12 a lot better now. :) Hope this helps...ask your doc. Doznclan3