Does anyone have the answer to this question? I'm under the impression that it's a results of toxins and/or viruses causing inflammation (I guess it's at the points where nerves and muscles join together?), but I don't think I've read much about it. I wonder what kind of toxins these are. I wonder whether FM/CFS sufferers who get these particularly badly tend to have different characteristics (e.g. previous toxic exposure, other symptoms) than FM/CFS sufferers who get them less. I wonder if there are certain things that exacerbate them. I wonder if having them swell up and get painful is a good thing (e.g. evidence that the body is successfully removing buried toxins) or bad (e.g. evidence that the body is not doing very well). For what it's worse, this is my experience. I've had mild trigger point pain throughout my illness, until last year. After about five months on an antiviral, I woke up one day with trigger point pain so bad that I could barely walk. That was unprecedented for me. It stayed that way for about five days. Then all my trigger point pain disappeared entirely and didn't recur until a few days ago. This week I've started a new supplement, brown seaweed. (I use a drink form called Limu.) It gave me really strong detox symptoms (e.g. thirst, strong-smelling urine/stools, guck-y feeling). I started using it because I am trying to rid my body of whatever mold toxins are left in it. (I moved out of my contaminated house six months ago.) The trigger point tenderness re-emerged with the usage of the Limu. Having other people press on them really hard relieves the swelling and tenderness, though it also makes me feel weird for a while afterwards. It feels like toxins are coming out. Hopefully they're being removed from my body rather than just being moved around. (Does that seem like it's the case?) I wonder what kind of toxin might cause trigger point problems. It doesn't seem like it's all toxins, since I've done lots of detox with various things (methylation, cholestyramine for mold, Vitamin C) and not gotten that reaction. One possibility seems heavy metals like mercury. The methylation support is supposed to help remove mercury, but I don't get the feeling that it accomplishes this very well. Brown seaweed is said to attach itself to those metals and draw it out, though I don't know how strong the evidence is. I think the metals connection is interesting because of Amy Yasko's theory that mercury and other metals bind to viruses in the body. I think that means that if one of those is tackled, the other is disposed of more readily. If so, the disposal of the viruses might have loosened up some mercury so that my body could dispose of it. (Hopefully it got disposed of!) Another possibility seems to be pesticides or other xenoestrogenic chemicals. Or maybe it's something else entirely. Thoughts, please??? Thanks!