cfs/fm

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelly11, Jul 1, 2008.

1. shelly11

shelly11 New Member

what is the difference between cfs and fm? i was diagnosed with fm but am always tired.
  2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

On who you ask. Some of the "old-timers" on the board will have much better answers but this is what I've discovered so far:

FM has tender points and CFS has swollen lymph nodes and sore throat. Some doctors think they are the same thing. You can have extreme fatigue with FM and pain with CFS. The symptoms can cross over.

I personally have been diagnosed of FM. I had all 18 tender points but the pain is manageable right now. The fatigue is what is excruciating and nearly killing me. When I'm in a flare, I feel like I have the flu (like right now).

Keep reading! You'll get a lot of great insight.

Erin
  3. simonedb

simonedb Member

Diagnosing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - The QT Interval & Why it's Important
    Sunday June 1, 2008
    A couple of questions for those of you with chronic fatigue syndrome - first, did you know your heart can provide objective support for your diagnosis, and also objectively separate chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS or ME/CFS) from fibromyalgia (FMS)?

Second, has a doctor ever suggested checking your QT interval to confirm your diagnosis?

What's a QT interval? During an electrocardiogram (EKG), the machine maps out your heart's electrical cycle in a jagged line. A doctor then marks specific points on that line with letters. Then, he or she can measure the amount of time between the "Q" point and the "T" point, and that's the QT interval.

Earlier studies show a short QT interval is extremely rare in the general population, yet showed up in most people with ME/CFS. Now, a new study published in the European Journal of Internal Medicine shows that QT interval measurements, taken by EKG during tilt tests, can distinguish ME/CFS from FMS 87% of the time.

Meanwhile, we know that many of us with these conditions are misdiagnosed, and as treatments become more specific to the disorders a correct diagnosis becomes more important. Even with lifestyle changes, you get different dietary and supplement recommendations, and there's a big difference in exercise tolerance.

While the QT interval may not be enough to conclusively diagnose ME/CFS, when we're all desperate for objective measures to prove to doctors, insurance companies, the disability folks, employers, friends and family that YES, we really are sick, why is this test largely being ignored?

Has a doctor ever mentioned this test to you? Has your QT interval been measured? Do you think the American health care system could be ignoring this research because most of it has been published only in Europe? Share your thoughts and experiences here or in About.com's Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome forum.

--------------
    Shortened QT interval: a distinctive feature of the dysautonomia of chronic fatigue syndrome . ?Journal of Electrocardiology , Volume 39 , Issue 4 , Pages 389 - 394?J . Naschitz , M . Fields , H . Isseroff , D . Sharif , E . Sabo , I . Rosner
  4. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

shelly,

I recently visited a new rheumotologist and asked her the same question. I was dx'd with FM 5 years ago - but I'm tired most of the time as well. So here is what she said in a nutshell:

FM sufferers will say that their MAJOR complaint is PAIN

CFS sufferers will say that their MAJOR complaint is FATIGUE

I know many of the symptoms crossover each other. She said that most FM sufferers also have sleep cycle issues which can cause the fatigue (as well as all the meds).

CFS sufferers will also have immunue system issues (swollen glands, fevers, colds, etc.) And of course pain.

I never get sick outside of my FM symptoms.

Hope this helps you out. Again..just based on my personal experience.

~Cookie~
  5. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I like Cookie's description. It is short and sweet and pretty accurate.

I first got sick in '99 with CFIDS. No pain other than some joint pain and some random swelling. Then I relapsed in '03 and was diagnosed with FMS.

Since I had them separately, I can tell the difference.

Both are, in essence, neurological issues with dysfunctional immune system, Kreb's cycle, detoxification, methylation, neurotransmitters and neurohormones.

But FMS manifests mostly as widespread pain (although there are variations among the population). I think it is critical to get the pain levels under control.

And CFS manifests mostly as fatigue and post exertional fatigue, swollen lymph glands and sore throat. (like flu)

Marti