CFS following Parvo/Fifths Disease?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NWmama, Jan 29, 2006.

1. NWmama

NWmama New Member

This is my second try to post this mssg, computer acting up so will make this relatively short. Just read flurry of correspondence on this board from 2003 from some of you who've experienced CFS or FM following a bout with Fifths Disease, otherwise known as Parvo Virus B19.

I was dx with this in 1992, and subsequently started having increasingly severe and frequent bouts of fatigue w/accompanying super brain fog, body aches from neck down, etc.

Does anyone else out there see a possible correlation between Fifths and onset of their CFS/FM? I'm amazed that this was over 13 years ago, and my CFS symptoms are now getting worse, not better.

For info, I'm 51, have three grown children, earned a graduate degree in the interim years after the Fifths and work full time at a demanding job. But the bouts of fatigue are causing me to take a lot of sick leave - 2-3 days in bed. Tremendous brain fog drives me crazy! Thanks for your time and feedback!
  2. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

Parvovirus was my original dx. I fell terribly ill only a week after my son had slapped cheek. I never put it together until months later I tested for very high parvo antibodies. The infectious disease dc said that he only sees one or two severe cases a yr. I thought I must have had dog's parvo. I was in bed for months with a host of scary symptoms I did not have names for. So yes, you are not alone. The strange thing is that my son has experienced a number of similar neurological symptoms as I did for months. He was never as sick as I was but I though that it was strange and a bit scary when he was describing strange needle like pains all over his body as well as muscle pain. My experience started with sharp needle like pains all over my body and it continued for months, not to mention muscle pain, fatigue, malaise, burning, nausea.... well you know the rest anyway.
    So PV appears to be one of the culprits along with Lyme CMV and others.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/29/2006]
  3. NWmama

NWmama New Member

Thanks for your reply (oops, didn't get your name :( sorry - but think it's "lapis" or close...). May I ask how long you've had all the symptoms post being diagnosed with the parvo? I caught it from my then 8 year old son. He had such a mild case, biggest symptom was his rash.
  4. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I am now 53 but had the fifth disease as a kid. I also now know that I have had mild Fibro symptoms for as long as I can remember. Just didn't know what it was. It has been getting progressively worse for the past several years. About 18 months ago I had the Flare of Flares and have still not fully recovered. That is when I got diagnoised. Interesting.
  5. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I never got typical parvo symptoms like the rash. This is all my son had at firs. I got very ill right away and it took a couple of month to figure out that parvo was involved. I had FM symptoms within a couple of weeks (at most) from when I got infected. Since FM symptoms and Parvo symptoms can overlap it is hard to say when one stopped and the other started. It is all blurry by now. All I know it did it! Parvo plus ehrlichiosis which was also identified at that time and not treated.
  6. NWmama

NWmama New Member

I've been on the ImmuneSupport email list for several years now, but this is the first time I've ventured into dialogue with other members. All I can say is that this is amazing to me. Thank you for sharing your experiences, which I know have not been easy!

My symptoms with the Fifths were really weird, a few days in bed with total exhaustion, the rash, then days of unbelieveable pain in my hands and feet followed by a few more days of unbearable itching in the hands and feet. Then it was over... or so I thought! But that was so many years ago that the thought of that possibly leading to symptoms of CFS never ever crossed my mind until my doctor went through my records last week. This, even though I've read lots of literature indicating that a lot of folks' CFS/FM began after a strong virus or other trauma to the body.

I'm eager to hear if there are others out there with similar experiences! I'm blown away by the reply that said you had Fifths as a child and have had symptoms as long as you can remember. Gosh!
  7. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

Bumping...maybe there are others
  8. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Although I'm not familiar with parvovirus/fifth's disease, I am very interested in all of your stories about how it's related to your FM/CFIDS. I was DX w/CFIDS in 2000, and now find that it is in major part caused by Lyme Disease, very parallel to you.

With parvo are there other associated co-infections as there are with lyme?

The underlying viruses are so important to uncover and treat in order to recover our health.

Here's an article from the ImmuneSupport Library:

Parvovirus Infection and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    ImmuneSupport.com

05-23-2003

A wide variety of viral infections - enteroviruses, herpesviruses, hepatitis infections - have been implicated in precipitating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)/ME. Among the less common causes is parvovirus B19 - an infection which is of growing interest to researchers as it can produce complications which include anaemia (the virus can replicate in the bone marrow), nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy and encephalitis), and miscarriage.

Although parvovirus infection tends to affect small children (causing 'slapped cheek syndrome') it can also cause a febrile illness with a rash and widespread joint pains (especially in the small joints of the hands, knees, and ankles) in adults.

And it's something (along with certain other infections and lupus/SLE) which should always be considered in the differential diagnostic assessment of an adult with ME/CFS who starts their illness with this type of infective picture followed by persisting joint pains in addition to fatigue. Blood tests, which detect virus-specific IgG and IgM antibodies, can help to confirm the diagnosis of parvovirus B19.

Of equal importance is the fact that parvovirus B19-associated ME/CFS appears to respond to treatment. Using a form of immunological treatment known as intravenous immunoglobulin, doctors at London's Brompton Hospital have recently reported on the cases of three ME/CFS patients with parvovirus B19 infection who improved significantly after this form of treatment (400 mg/kg/day).

There have also been several clinical trials reported involving the use of iv immunoglobulin in people with ME/CFS where no specific precipitating viral infection has been identified. However, the results have been conflicting and the role of iv immunoglobulin in treating non-parvovirus B19 ME/CFS remains the subject of debate.

The doctors who treated the parvovirus B19 patients speculate that the treatment may work by helping to stabilize cytokine (immune system chemicals) dysregulation which occurs in response to acute and ongoing infections. The recovered patients also had evidence of a considerably reduced viral load (i.e., clearance of their viraemia) after treatment.

Overall, these are interesting results which suggest that further assessment of immunoglobulin therapy in other sub-groups, where there is a clear post-infectious onset to ME/CFS, is warranted. This small but important study also emphasizes why I believe the MRC have got it so wrong when they conclude that research into causal factors (including the role of infection and the immunological response to infection) should not be given any high priority.

Source: Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2003,36,E100-106

NB: Other infections which can precipitate an arthralgia/joint pain and fatigue syndrome include brucellosis, leptospirosis, Lyme disease, and yersinia - some of which can be treated with drugs (ref: 'Living with ME', p41: 'The post-infectious arthralgia and myalgia fatigue syndrome').

Dr. Charles Shepherd

9. NWmama

NWmama New Member

Thank you for your responses, and the article, which is a bit different from another article I found in the archives, and very helpful. It also activated a memory regarding the years following my experience with Fifths Disease in 1992. I had a continuing low grade fever almost non-stop until recently, when my temperature went from a continual 99.2 - 99.6 for the last 13 years or so, to now when it is usually between 97.8 - 98.2. In otherwords, almost an entire 2 degrees lower! More evidence that the parvo virus never left my system??? Can't help but wonder!