CFS: Forebearance's thread 25

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Forebearance, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I figured you all know by now that i am doing antiviral enzymes (Virastop), Methylation Supplements, and treatments for un-poisoning myself from toxic mold.

My proposed home didn't work out, so I am once again staying in a temporary place. This one, however, is pretty good mold-wise. It doesn't seem to have a lot of toxins in it.

The combination of treatments that I am doing to cure my mold poisoning is starting to work. I'm taking a small amount of cholestyramine, soluble fiber, and methylation supplements. They work together and they seem to be a great combo for me.

Note that I didn't start to make progress at detoxing until I finally found a relatively safe place to stay. I was at my parents' house all October and it felt like I was just treading water and not getting better, because their house made me sick.

I've been very tired lately, and having other detox type symptoms. It's not so bad being tired when you don't feel half-dead. Even if I never improved any more than this, it would still be a dramatic improvement in my life. My life doesn't feel like torture any more. I am getting my joy of life back.

My next try at finding a more permanent home will be in December.

I've been gradually adding elements of the mold avoidance lifestyle to my life. Now I pay attention to whether places I go are contaminated with mold toxins or not. I can usually tell, because toxins make my kidneys ache.

I've learned some things to avoid doing:

Don't run any electric appliances that have been in moldy places in a new, safe place. My computer's fan spread toxins all over when I started it up.

Don't put something really moldy in the dryer. Somehow, a down comforter I had washed and put in the dryer spread toxins all over my current place. Added to this: don't try to redeem a moldy down-filled item by washing it.

I should have known better about that comforter, because just sleeping under it made me depressed, and I rarely get depressed from mold toxins. So it must have been an especially bad kind of mold in there.

But I'm not knocking all down items. I have a down coat, which has been beautiful. I couldn't survive winter without a down coat.

I still am getting used to the idea of taking a shower and washing my hair every time i've been in a poisoned place. It's really hard on my hair to wash it so much, so I'm looking for a good hair covering I can wear while doing errands and going into unknown stores, etc.

I ordered a bunch of Buffs. I used to wear them as headbands, but they can be expanded to cover all one's hair. Maybe I could put a ponytail holder over it to hold it in place. Then I could wash the Buff instead of my hair when i get home.

Or if that doesn't work, I'll look for another kind of head scarf of hat I could wear.

2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Yay, Forebearance!

I'm so glad to hear that things are on track for you and that you're starting to feel happier.

That's maybe the most important thing that could happen to us.
  3. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thank you, Slaya!

I agree that feeling more joy makes any life circumstance better and more bearable.

Just yesterday I began to notice that a pair of pants that I had worn into a moldy store were bothering me. So I took them off and put on a fresh pair. I am gradually easing into the mold-avoidance lifestyle.

Now I'm planning on changing clothes every time I come home from errands where there have been mold exposures. I haven't reached the point yet where I shower when I get home. I'll get there, I'm sure.

4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I did it! I went out today and did errands and came home, took a shower, washed my hair and changed clothes. Whew! I feel like a true mold warrior now.

Today has been a strange day. I've been really tired. I can't tell if I'm detoxing or toxing.

5. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

I'll keep you in my thoughts Forebearance.

Those are great tips about mold. Keep em coming! Those of us starting out on the mold journey need practical tips like this!

May you find a Home (free of mold) quickly...
  6. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thanks, redhummingbird! I hope my next prospective home works out.

I got those tips on showering and changing clothes from Lisa. I bet they'll be in her mold manual. I'm looking forward to reading it.

It seems like a lot of effort, but it's not so bad if I limit the days I go to suspect places. I don't have to do that every day. Some days I can stay home or just go to Panera or some other safe place.
  7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I saw my doctor today for an annual checkup and found out I've lost 7 pounds. I knew I was thinner from detoxing. And that's with eating as much fat as I can, to offset the Questran.

Tomorrow I'm going to experiment and visit my massage therapist while wearing a face mask. I don't know if it will work. I may not be able to see her any more, which would be sad because she's really good. But her basement office is pretty bad, mold-wise.

(Thanks Slaya for diagnosing it. Even I could feel it was bad, so it must have been quite bad.)

8. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Okay, I'm in my new home. I signed the lease, which was really scary.

So far it hasn't made me sick, but I've discovered the shower drain in the master bath smells moldy, so I can't even go in there. ARGH!!!! It has been SO hard to find a safe place to live.

I'm about ready to just build a place out in the country. Maybe next summer I can, if I can afford it somehow. Even a tiny cottage that is safe would be preferable to this uncertainty and moving around and guessing about whether a place is good or not.

Anyway, I pray that I can handle this place for a few months this winter, at least.

P.S. My massage therapist says my feet continue to get softer and more flexible and more open. She is amazed at how different my feet are from when I first went to her. It's nice to have confirmation that my un-poisoning process is working![This Message was Edited on 12/07/2008]
  9. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Good to hear you are making progress. I hope it continues. How long did it take you being out of the moldy environment before you because super sensitive to it?
  10. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi there, a!

It took me about two or three weeks of being in a relatively toxin-free environment before I began to notice I could tell when I was around toxic mold.

I started to notice that some stores bothered me.

Then I had a few months (August-October) when I had to stay in not-so-good places. So I didn't make much progress then.

Then in November I stayed in a less poisoned place and after a couple of weeks I began to notice when items of clothing had mold poison on them. Also pillows and blankets.

So it happened pretty quickly for me. And the more I began to live the mold avoidance lifestyle of changing clothes, taking showers, etc., the more sensitive I became.

How are you doing these days?
  11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I found out recently that several of my family members also have a mold-susceptible genotype. The genotype we have is also the genotype that makes people at higher risk for developing Celiac Disease.

I wonder what causes some people to develop CFS, some to develop CD, and some to develop both. I have developed CFS, and one of the other relatives has CD.

Dr. Shoemaker describes several of his patients who have developed CD as a result of toxic mold exposure, so it looks like they got CFS first, and then CD on top of it.

The genotype that my family members and I have contains the HLA-DQ 2. That is the gene they test to diagnose Celiac Disease. There are a few genotypes that contain the HLA-DQ 2, and they are all mold susceptible.

I'm going to start a new thread now, called "CFS: Forebearance's thread 26"[This Message was Edited on 01/02/2009]