CFS: Forebearance's thread 66

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Forebearance, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi everyone,

I'm about to take my third dose of MAF 878 yogurt today. I really like it. The trick is getting the dose right. I think it has a lot of potential to help me.

Another person on MAF 878 reported having mild cold-like or allergy-like symptoms, and that has been happening to me too. I've never had allergies in July before.

But I am camping among a bunch of ponderosa pine trees. So who knows.

The MAF 878 appears to treat my fibro knee pain (which I think is caused by Lyme or a co-infection) far better than antibiotics. But right now I can't take enough of it to kill off the infection, so my knee still hurts. And my poisoned car is exacerbating it.

I went to get a car seat cover to help me stand my car a little longer, and I knew from past experience that one brand came pre-poisoned from the factory. So I ended up getting the only other brand, a Hello Kitty car seat cover. Hee hee!

[This Message was Edited on 07/19/2012]
  2. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I'm taking the MAF878 every day now. Just a tiny bit. I've been keeping it in the freezer. Because how do you know when plain yogurt goes bad?.
    Freezing it may be reducing it's potency. Or else I'm tolerating it better.

The fibro pain in my knee has come back and gotten worse, to the point where I am using a cane. I seem to need more B-12 and folate, so I have gradually been taking more. It's scary for me to increase the doses, because I remember how bad I felt when I took too much.

But the amazing thing is that if I ever feel like I am starting to detox too hard, I take D3 and it stops it immediately. Taking D3 is still changing my physiology so much!

So I'm daring to go where I've never gone before -- into methylation land. Wish me luck.

3. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Okay, I can now definitely say that the MAF 878 is giving me more energy and is making my sore knee hurt less. It is also giving me the worst gas I have ever had! I guess there must be a war going on in my digestive system.

But I'm going to have to slow down on the methylation supplements B-12 and folate. I started to detox too hard a couple nights ago and had a rough night, in spite of the D3.

It's probably a good thing I'm doing all this experimenting while camping, so at least my immune system is less irritated than usual. I finally managed to arrange a two week stint of camping in a place with good outside air, using all good possessions, at a campground with decent bathrooms. Whew. It only took me four years!

4. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Thanks for the laugh. I hope the gas goes away. Double good that you are camping. lol Hugs, MicheleK
  5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thanks, MicheleK!
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Very good to hear that the MAF 878 is giving you more energy - more energy is ALWAYS a good thing!

Where are you camping (the general vicinity)? I used to love to camp in my former life. I saw many gorgeous places - the Tetons, Yosemite, Lassen, Yellowstone, Utah, and so on.

Are you remembering to take the potassium when you take the methyl supplements? Without the potassium, I would have been bedridden.

I enjoy following your adventures! Not exactly adventures that you would necessarily choose, but I used to love to travel and admire what you do -

Best wishes,

7. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Mary what happens if you take the methyl supplements and do not take potassium with it? I happen to take potassium, but am curious what you were referring to. Thanks, MicheleK
  8. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi Mary,

The potassium doesn't affect me as much as it does you, but I take a little extra now and then and it seems fine.

I'm in the Black Hills of SD. I actually don't enjoy camping very much, but I do love the fresh air here. it's beautiful air unless you happen to be downwind of a wildfire.

It's been so dry that there is a ban on campfires, which helps me. I've heard some grumbling about it from other campers. I swear some people like to go camping just so they can play with fire!

I'm glad you enjoy my adventures. I said I wanted to get off my couch, and that sure has happened!

[This Message was Edited on 07/27/2012]
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Freddd of the Phoenix Rising board has a B12 protocol which is similar in many respects to Rich's methylation protocol. Freddd uses a couple of different forms of B12, NO folic acid and l-methylfolate. Those are the primary supplements for his protocol, and he also recommends certain vitamins and minerals to help. (see

However, he also warns very strongly that starting his protocol may cause a rather sudden increased need for potassium, as one's body starts to heal and make new cells and so forth. I started Freddd's basic protocol over a year ago, and had a noticeable increase in energy for a couple of days and then bam! hit a brick wall, was wiped out lethargic, etc., for about 2 days until I remembered his warnings about potassium. My symptoms were classic for potassium deficiency (and for what it's worth, they were familiar - I'd felt this way before only never knew what the cause was). So I gradually added in potassium, worked up to about 800 mg. a day for several days and the symptoms abated, and now am on a maintenance dose of 400 mg. a day. If I hadn't known about this potential issue, I would have been bedridden without a clue as to what was going on and would have just given up on his protocol.

I did try Rich's protocol off and and for 3-1/2 years and never felt better on it, actually most of the time felt like I was detoxing. In retrospect it could have been symptoms of low potassium, could also have been induced folate deficiency caused by the folic acid in the original protocol. Folic acid is no longer part of Rich's protocol. And maybe there was some detoxing too, but it never got better.

So that's why I take potassium! Sorry for the long story -

10. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

And NO l-methylfolate? Or no folic acid but uses l-methylfolate? I have read some of his posts but there are so many posts and info about all of these things and it can be hard to navigate because of changes that are made all the time.
  11. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, neo.

Freddd recommends methylfolate, but not folic acid. Freddd and I agree on this part. There is still some folic acid in the multi the most recent version of the simplified protocol that I have suggested, but I am considering switching to another multi. It's difficult to find one that has everything I would like, but doesn't have certain other things that can cause problems.

Best regards,

12. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Sorry for the confusing wording! As Rich said, I meant to say Fredd says no folic acid, but he does use l-methylfolate, which has helped me a lot (the l-methylfolate)