Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybugmandy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. i don't know why i never found this before, but apparently, an indian company named cipla is selling a generic valcyte called "valcept" and is embroiled in legal battles with roche.

it says you can get it here!

it isn't THAT much cheaper...but still interesting....

2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

3. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

That is interesting information. Do you think they will ever come out with a generic that we can buy?

Also, I think you were the one that told us valtrex will be generic in 2009. That is going to be important after hearing Dr. Lerner's video where many people stay on the drugs.

Off topic a little, but do you know if Dr. Lerner keeps his patients on valcyte forever? Isn't that a dangerous drug to stay on that long?

Thanks, Cindy
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi chrissy!

as of 2006, i don't think dr. lerner kept anyone on valcyte more than 3.5 years but his protocol may have changed in that regard....

on that link i posted, it says you can order valcept...but i am not sure.

in late 2009, generic valtrex with be available. for the first 180 days, it will be distributed only by ranbaxy and then other companies will start making it, it should get A LOT cheaper.

5. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

About the valtrex generic - I googled it a few days ago and was surprised to find it on sale.

There are sites like that are selling it. I had assumed it was a scam at the time. I just looked again and Cipla is listed as the manufacturer. Do you think they are selling the real thing?

If so, how can they get away with such public advertising??
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

how interesting. i just found that too!

on another message board, someone said they ordered the generic valtrex and it worked for their cold sores.

i think that these generics come from india, where patent law is a little different.

i think the american companies try to sue them but are caught up in legal battles for years.

there is a strong push in india for drugs used by AIDS patients to become available to people who can't afford brand names (and i am sure very few can!)

(i am east indian)

7. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

that generics are out there! I have never tried any drugs from the internet - I guess I'm worried about quality control. Glad to hear that it did heal cold sores.

I noticed that Cipla and Ranbaxy are both Indian companies.

The valtrex price is much more affordable at about $200 per month (if buying the volume discount 3 months at a time).

I wonder if these prices would be about the same when it comes out officially in June 2009? Maybe market competition would force them down even further.

It's nice to hear some good news for a change!

Thanks Sue :)

PS - Is your Valtrex covered under your healthcare already? I know that you are more concerned about the cost of your Valcyte and having to go back to work to afford?
  8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

yes...i am covered for everything right now but won't be as of march 2009.

i was more worried about valcyte because it is more expensive and technically, the patent does not expire in 2015.

i don't know about cipla, but ranbaxy is is indian but has offices everywhere.

obviously, getting the brand name is ideal, but for those who cannot afford the meds and do not have insurance (such patients in canada and europe where drug companies often do not offer many assisance programs), i thought that generics might be a good choice if you are really sick and desperate!

yes...once a generic becomes available, after the first 180 days, the prices go way down as more companies quickly come into the market.

[This Message was Edited on 10/03/2008]
  9. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

I was reading on Cipla's website:

- it was established in 1935

- it's manufacturing facilities have been approved by many regulatory authorities in other countries including the FDA (USA) and World Health Organization Dept of Health (Canada)

Ranbaxy's site says it has three manufacturing facilities in the US and delivers 59 drug products to the US market currently.

Very interesting!

Hopefully we all get the drugs we need to get well.

10. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi kristina...i emailed K. Loomis of the HHV6 Foundation about the generics but she didn't respond. she usually responds pretty quickly...

11. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

her opinion as well. I'll look forward to hear.

12. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

I came across this by happenstance. Just a precaution.

13. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

damn! thanks for this article!
  14. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

great! I hope Ranbaxy can get its act together by June 2009. Although even if they can't meet standards I guess other companies will jump in at that point, what a bummer.

i just went to the pharmacy today and my insurance will not pay for Famvir at the dosage needed. Famvir even has a generic but it's expensive, $1800 per month. I guess I will call Dr. Lerner Monday to extend my Valtrex script. Hopefully I can deal with the remaining GI issues another way :(

All this stress over cost of drugs is maddening!

[This Message was Edited on 10/05/2008]