CFS has ANYONE improved while working full time?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vickiw, Jun 9, 2006.

1. vickiw

vickiw Member

I probably won't get many responses on this one because it seems not many improve with CFS. But I'm curious, for anyone that feels better than you used to, have any of you worked outside the home as your health improved?

I know many have had to leave their jobs and still do no better but I wonder about the other way around...

Thanks,
    vickiw
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I am not working full time, only three days a week. Just a few months ago I thought I was going to have to quit because I was just too sick. But I've started going to FFC and feel better now! I know I couldn't work full time, but I did get better working part time. Don't know how anyone with this DD can work full time! I give those folks a lot of credit!
  3. spacee

spacee Member

My identical twin did. She was diagnosed with CFS by Dr. Cheney around 1994ish. Her kids were in college (away). She had to hire someone to do EVERYTHING around the house...grocery shopping, cleaning. All she did was work and rest. She had some terrible years but gradually pulled out of it. As I remember, Dr. Cheny had her address the leaky gut issue which seemed to help her.

4. vickiw

vickiw Member

well this is interesting...you're both twins! I'm guessing not to each other. Does the work and heal thing only work if one is a twin? LOL

Seriously, it's always good to hear about people improving! I was doubtful that anyone could work and still get better so that's especially good to hear. I'm still working, but steadily going downhill as I have been for the last 3 3/4 years. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope - right now I'm in the process of deciding whether to quit now, or wait until I totally collapse, or wait until I get fired OR whichever of the last two comes first.

Actually, I don't think I'm about to be fired (they still seem to appreciate the work that I do, but I don't know how long it will last considering the way I feel and my productivity level).
  5. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Yes, I work full time, but I am now off for a few months (school is out). I've had two bouts of post viral fatigue syndrome each lasting 14 months, and I did work part of those months although I took off several months, and eased in gradually part time. It was not easy. I couldn't even drive, so a kind neighbor took me to work, or else I took a taxi. (expensive)

Currently, I am in 90-95% remission. There are days when I'm wiped out, but now sleep and rest are restorative, whereas before no amount of resting could relieve the malaise, fried brain feeling, and drop dead fatigue.

Since high fever and viral infections trigger my CFS (yes, I was diagnosed by a prominent university hospital) my mission in life is avoid infection and vaccines (which also make things worse for my viral load.) I take ProBoost (a thymic protein) and Sambucol Elderberry extract daily. They help my body, but may or may not work for everybody.

This summer my husband and I are planning a vacation to Europe. I thought my life was over with CFS, but with careful pacing and a prayer, I hope to enjoy my trip.

There are several people who have been on this board and now have left after they improved. Don't let anyone tell you CFS is a life sentence for all. With patience and proper care, improvement is likely for some. Those who seem to have the hardest time are those who have Lyme Disease, but even they sometimes improve with a proper diagnosis and care.

Good luck in your journey to wellness

CherylSue
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2006]
  6. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

and I blame it on the fact that I am now housebound and barely able to walk now.

Listen to what your body id telling you, I wish I had.

Sue
  7. WendyC

WendyC New Member

although I still have flares, which I blame on my husband's demands on me and lack of understanding for my illness. Long story, on that. Anyway I hope to go into remission this summer. It hasn't been easy but I am hopeful. Also my rhuemy put me on antibiotics within a year of being diagnosed and I think that helped me from becoming even sicker.

wendyc
  8. shanel06

shanel06 New Member

I was working full time when I "got better". I had a really healthy period of time that lasted 5 years or more during which I was working full time, and even doing some volunteer work.

The trick for me was organizing. And I have an easier time of organizing my life when I work. I also need the social interaction, the need to be somewhere, have some purpose to my day that is very structured. When I work, I know when I need to get up, I know when I need to go out. I know when I need to have a nap, eat, etc.

Right now I'm in the midst of a crash. Apparently I forgot I had CFS, and I tried to work 6 days a week for 12 hour days :) I'm wiser now. But I will also be working full time when I get better this time.

Shannon L.
  9. vickiw

vickiw Member

cherylsue - good for you! I hope you enjoy your vacation in Europe!

Tantallon - sigh...if I listen to my body I would quit immediately. In my heart I think I should, but like Shannon L, I enjoy the structure and social interaction that I get at work (not to mention the pay check and medical benefits).

Wendy and Skeesix, thanks for the encouraging words.

I think I'll try to hang in there for now although I may regret in the long run. Rats, my crystal ball never works when I need it!
  10. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi vickiw,

Yes, I work full time and have greatly improved. I've had symptoms of CFS & FM for at least 25 years.

Two and a half years ago, I was at the end of my rope and didn't know if I could keep working. I have to say that I work from my home and have a lot of flexibility. So when things were really bad I could rest.

I started to really look for answers. I started with treating intestinal bacteria with antibiotics and began taking low dose cortisol (adrenal hormone). I also began an aggressive detox program which I still maintain (including a modified elimination diet for food intolerances - no milk or soy for me). I began a rigorous supplement protocol which began delivering results after 6 weeks. I continue to maintain a supplement regimen, although I should be more disciplined with it than I am.

A little over a year ago I began treatment for hypercoagulation with a blood thinner Heparin. This was pure magic. After about 3 days the fog lifted and I couldn't believe how good I felt. I've started with low dose doxycycline (antibiotic). I've been on it for 1 year and expect to be on it for another year. And I take a Transfer Factor blend targeting virus'. I tested positive for chronic HHV-6 and Epstein Barr.

I'm very fortunate to have the flexibility in my work schedule that I have. The "healing regimen" that I have undertaken as required a lot of me. But I've regained 80% of my energy levels, stiffness and soreness in my muscles has greatly diminished (still present, but I no longer meet the FM criteria of pressure points), and the fog is gone.

I don't know if I'll ever be 100%. And I still give my health a lot of attention. I definately have good days and bad days. But the bad days are nothing like they used to be! My husband and I feel confident enough in my improvement that we are adopting two toddlers/preschoolers (their pic is in my profile).

Love & Light,
  11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I can only say what my experience was.

I think that if I had stopped trying to work right when I first got sick, I would have gotten well much faster.

Instead I pushed myself to work part time as long as I could, and now I can't work at all.

I think that I handled my illness poorly, because I knew nothing about being a sick person and was raised to 'tough things out' and not complain, quit, etc. Boy, do I wish now that I had taken my illness more seriously at the beginning!

I wish you all the best, Vicki
    Forebearance