CFS have it dulled your face?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Sep 9, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I am curious.

As the past 2 1/2 years have passed (when I got twice as ill as before when I was able to cope) I have seen my face go "dull" in lack of better words.

My face seems to have changed shape to an unpleasant one compared to before. My skin have gotten all weird with superdry after washing, and superoily when I wake up. Wrinkely skin under my eyes, lots of age spots, just rough looking skin.

If I don't try hard to smile, I find myself having a zombie-ish appearance, with tired half-open eyes looking back at me.

The change in my face is dramatic! It is too intense in too short of a time.

Has this illness done this to you?
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2006]
  2. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

my skin looks better than average , though I do have furrows between my brows , and I DO think it is because my body hurts and is stresssed .

I receive compliments on my skin , even from a skin doc.

I have used retin A for years and it is a great product .
    The Best thing you can do for skin is take and eat LOTS of antioxidants and be sure you are getting essential fatty acids .

I had a thread yesterday on skin and wrinkles and related products . I will pull it up and you can check the suggestions .

Good luck.
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

If I go to a support group meeting, there are people there with CFS as well as their spouses and others. I can look around the hall and pick out the people with "the look". I think it is mostly in the eyes.

I don't have it all the time but I sure have lately when I have been feeling so poorly.

And I just got my first age spot! I am going to try some of the cream recommended on annxyz's thread and pray for a miracle.

Pepper
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I wouldn't worry about not looking pretty! What happen
    to the Pic you had with your Bio. beautiful blue eyes
    and all?? Your probably being a bit too self critical.

MRDAD
  5. TerryS

TerryS Member

I noticed a permanent "pink" to the apples of my cheeks a few months ago which has never gone away. And my mom and sister told me recently that my face looks different. They say I have dark splotches all over the outer portions of my cheeks...

Mom's driving me to for my first visit with the rhuemy on 9/22. I'm going to have her point out what she sees, 'cause (other than the pink cheeks) I can't really tell what she's talking about. Weird that my sister noticed it, too, and she's about blind!

TerryS
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Lena, I know exactly what you mean. I used to feel pretty good about my looks...I mean I've never been gorgeous, but always looked younger than my age and had nice skin.

Lately, my eyes are dull (or glassy when I'm in a lot of pain) and I have lines between my eyebrows from grimacing in pain. I purposely try to pay attention to my expression and try to smile more. I just look sick.

Yesterday our pastor came to the house to give me communion since I haven't been to church in weeks. He looked at me and said "you look great, you look healthy". I just smiled.

Lolalee
  7. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I couldn't agree more with those that see cfs in their eyes. I've been sick almost 12 years now and my eyes have never been the same. They're glazed over and sick looking.

I can see it in past pictures, even 10 years ago when I looked so much younger, I can still see the glazed look in my eyes.

It's gotten harder to conceal it too.

It makes me sad to see it in my face :(
  8. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Mrdad- I don't really give an iota about appearance in that sense. :) Thank you, though!

It is the look that some have mentioned here- in the eyes. That is sooo true!

I am thinking too besides the eyes, that with CFS you have this lack of oxygen in your system, and I think it shows in your face after a while. I don't care much about wrinkles and uneven skin, it's the "zombie-ish" thing that is blah-ish!

Someone said they can tell the CFS people in a croud. This is what I have noticed lately.

I think it bothers me when my 7 year old son looks at me with this concern in his face, I know I can't hide it when I'm beat. I don't want him to see his mom like that! Poor guy!

I love this thread and the replies! Bring them on!

(hey by the way,, I wouldn't post a pic of me on a "bad day",,LOL! Howabout one when I'm 20?
  9. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

It's a good idea.

He knows a little, it's a comlicated DD to explain, neuro transmitters and all that. It would probably be helpful anyway, he must wonder why I look so tired.

Other kids have asked him in the past and he have gotten protective and told them not to tell me I look tired. Poor guy, too much weight on his shoulders. It's a balancing act to explain without worrying a child.
  10. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have dull, rough skin with age spots and dark, wrinkled skin under the eyes. My mother told me l looked pale this summer and should get blood tests, so I did. Of course, they came back “normal”.

I had peaches and cream complexion as a teen-ager. I looked young for my years well into adulthood, even in the early years of CFS.