CFS - HHV-6 - an immune "dysregulation" possibly and why

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Sep 27, 2005.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Excerpts from:

"Human Herpesvirus 6: An Emerging Pathogen
    Gabriella Campadelli-Fiume, Prisco Mirandola, and Laura Menotti
    University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy"

"Infections with human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6), a ß-herpesvirus of which two variant groups (A and B) are recognized, is very common, approaching 100% in seroprevalence." (This means that most everyone has had an infection with HHV-6.)

"CFS is an illness characterized by memory and attention impairment, muscle and multijoint pain, and unrefreshing sleep and weakness lasting longer than 6 months. The etiology of the disease is unknown, and many viruses have been investigated as possible causing agents. The overall scenario is in a way similar to that of multiple sclerosis. Serologic analysis on the presence of antibody to HHV-6 provided inconclusive data. An increase in IgG and IgM titer in the sera of a large number of CFS patients (119 of 154) was found relative to that in the control population (77% vs. 12%) (100). However, this was not specific, as an increase in antibodies to other viruses was also detected, reflecting probably an immunologic dysfunction. Molecular analysis showed a higher prevalence of HHV-6A but not HHV-6B or HHV-7 in CFS patients (64,101,102), and HHV-6A could also be isolated from these patients (103). Whether this reflects an association or the consequence of an immune dysregulation remains to be determined."

In other words, CFS MAY BE an immune disorder. All of the pathogens found are most likely due to the person with CFS being immunosuppressed for some unknown reason. It would seem that the answer to finding the cause of CFS would be found by investigating why the immune system's "regulation" process is dysfunctional and what has caused the dysfunction. Things that cause dysregulation of the immune system include:

"Immune system dysregulation can develop over a long period of time due to repeated infectious diseases, continuous stress, and/or cumulative exposure to toxic chemicals, even at the low levels found in our everyday environment. It can also be triggered by a single serious viral infection, major stress, or massive chemical exposure.

Immune system dysregulation often remains undiagnosed, however, because many physicians, faced with its incredible array of seemingly unrelated symptoms, and unfamiliar with the available diagnostic methods, misdiagnose it "stress", "psychosomatic disease," or the like. The medications commonly prescribed for these problems may suppress the symptoms to some extent, but often further aggravate the problem without dealing with the underlying disease process at all."

[Above From, "Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and Immune System Dysregulation originally published as the Forword to A Consumer Guide for the Chemically Sensitive (self-published by the authors) in 1982. By Debra Lynn Dadd and Alan S. Levin, M.D."]

More things to read and think about!

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  2. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

The medications commonly prescribed for these problems may suppress the symptoms to some extent, but often further aggravate the problem without dealing with the underlying disease process at all."

This is what I often worry about; masking the underlying problem by only addressing the symptoms. I want to get to the root of the matter and find a way to change it. I'm just so tired of it all. :-(

Heidi
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I'm tired of it all too and know just how you feel. Especially when I go to my doctor and she tells me that I'm beyond her expertise! She just told me that last week. There are no centers close by where I live to go to. So . . I just struggle with the doctor and try to get her to test for different things. Sometimes I really believe that she is tired of it all too!

As far as finding the actual cause and not just suppressing symptoms . . I don't know. I'll still take my pain meds, the Neurontin, and the Cymbalta (just changing from Celexa). I like my symptoms suppressed . . . BUT, I still want to find the cause!!!!