CFS/ HHV6A and Tcells study

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lichu3, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

This study is interesting because it talks about how HHV-6A works despite the concentration on HIV. It's especially intersting to me because several board posters had depletion of CD4 and CD8 cells early in their illness that was non-progressive.

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Mar 20;104(12):5067-72. Epub 2007 Mar 14.

Human herpesvirus 6A accelerates AIDS progression in macaques.

Lusso P, Crowley RW, Malnati MS, Di Serio C, Ponzoni M, Biancotto A, Markham PD, Gallo RC.
    Unit of Human Virology, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, 20132 Milan, Italy.

Although HIV is the necessary and sufficient causative agent of AIDS, genetic and environmental factors markedly influence the pace of disease progression. Clinical and experimental evidence suggests that human herpesvirus 6A (HHV-6A), a cytopathic T-lymphotropic DNA virus, fosters the progression to AIDS in synergy with HIV-1. In this study, we investigated the effect of coinfection with HHV-6A on the progression of simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV) disease in pig-tailed macaques (Macaca nemestrina). Inoculation of HHV-6A resulted in a rapid appearance of plasma viremia associated with transient clinical manifestations and followed by antibody seroconversion, indicating that this primate species is susceptible to HHV-6A infection. Whereas animals infected with HHV-6A alone did not show any long-term clinical and immunological sequelae, a progressive loss of CD4(+) T cells was observed in all of the macaques inoculated with SIV. However, progression to full-blown AIDS was dramatically accelerated by coinfection with HHV-6A. Rapid disease development in dually infected animals was heralded by an early depletion of both CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cells. These results provide in vivo evidence that HHV-6A may act as a promoting factor in AIDS progression.

PMID: 17360322 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  2. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

3. phoenixrising2

phoenixrising2 New Member

Thanks. This is interesting.

4. csswitness

csswitness New Member

Are you suggesting that hhv6a is something like AIDS?
  5. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

Yes, I think HHV-6A is immunosuppressive but in a different manner than AIDS. Probably not as severe as AIDS (we don't see or hear people dying from CFS) but likely enough to make people have problems with their immunity so that they get unusual infections or have hard time getting rid of common infections.

Lots of info on HHV-6 Foundation website on immunosuppression and HIV. It's fine to speculate but good studies are needed.

Dr. Robert Gallo, who was co-founder of HIV, works with HHV-6 Foundation on some projects.
  6. csswitness

csswitness New Member

So I wonder then, how would hhv6a work in conjunction with ebv, and cmv? Also how exactly is hhv6a contracted?
    [This Message was Edited on 01/30/2008]
  7. RunningAntelope

RunningAntelope New Member

Some have posited that both HHV6a and HIV are necessary to progress to full blown AIDS, which is why you hear of cases of HIV negative AIDS or HIV infection that never leads to AIDS (in the absence of HHV6a??). According to this theory, HIV is the fire, and HHV6a is the gasoline. Perhaps in CFIDS, which has notably been referred to as "AIDS minor," EBV or CMV are the fire, and HHV6a is the gasoline or vice versa. HHV6a has been shown to be a more efficient killer of immune cells than even HIV from what I've read.

As I understand it, HHV6a was cultivated in a co-infected cell of an AIDS patient when the famed Robert Gallo was culturing HIV. Some believe that perhaps a Herpes virus and HIV exchanged some genetic material to create a new menace. In my own disease progression, the early days were eerily similar to AIDS in terms of immune depletion, in addition to all the profound fatigue, headaches, fever, and sore lymph glands, but the disease never progressed to AIDS and HIV infection is absent. But I've always wondered about the similarities between CFIDS and AIDS, especially since they cropped up to pandemic status at roughly the same time.
  8. csswitness

csswitness New Member

so then I guess the difference is that aids is fatal whereas, cfids is not?
    [This Message was Edited on 01/31/2008]
  9. LonelyHearts

LonelyHearts New Member