CFS increased gut permeability /immune response to enterobacteria

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nimzovich76, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Nimzovich76

Nimzovich76 New Member

thought it was interesting the paper is still in press.

Brief report
    Increased serum IgA and IgM against LPS of enterobacteria in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS): Indication for the involvement of gram-negative enterobacteria in the etiology of CFS and for the presence of an increased gut–intestinal permeability
    Michael Maes a,b,?, Ivana Mihaylova a, Jean-Claude Leunis c

Abstract
    There is now evidence that chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is accompanied by immune disorders and by increased oxidative stress.
    The present study has been designed in order to examine the serum concentrations of IgA and IgM to LPS of gram-negative
    enterobacteria, i.e. Hafnia alvei; Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Morganella morganii, Proteus mirabilis, Pseudomonas putida, Citrobacter
    koseri, and Klebsiella pneumoniae in CFS patients, patients with partial CFS and normal controls.
    We found that the prevalences and median values for serum IgA against the LPS of enterobacteria are significantly greater in
    patients with CFS than in normal volunteers and patients with partial CFS. Serum IgA levels were significantly correlated to the
    severity of illness, as measured by the FibroFatigue scale and to symptoms, such as irritable bowel, muscular tension, fatigue,
    concentration difficulties, and failing memory.
    The results show that enterobacteria are involved in the etiology of CFS and that an increased gut–intestinal permeability has
    caused an immune response to the LPS of gram-negative enterobacteria. It is suggested that all patients with CFS should be
    checked by means of the IgA panel used in the present study and accordingly should be treated for increased gut permeability.
  2. penstemon

penstemon New Member

My colon flared up a few years ago. I took an antibiotic a couple of times for other things and noticed that my colon felt better for a time and then flared up again.
    My doctors found one of these kinds of bacteria. It was resistant to that particular antibiotic. Once we got the right antibiotic, I felt much better.
    For the leaky gut, I've found that Ultra Clear Sustain works the best.
    Dr. Scott Rigden did some good research on leaky gut syndrome in the past.
    There's a test for leaky gut syndrome now, but most doctors are so used to saying that it's not a real disorder, that they still won't order the test.