CFS & leg achiness and slow walkng

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 62wonderwoman, Nov 17, 2005.

1. 62wonderwoman

62wonderwoman New Member

Hello
    I have difficult to control migraines and fatigue. My neurologist told me I probably have CFS, complicating the migraine treatment.
    Along with fatigue I get leg symptoms. Achy calves, knees, heavy feeling in my legs. Sometimes with I'm walking I feel like someone pulled an emergency brake on in my legs. I only can move very slowly, like walking through water.
    Rest will usually help, but a bad flare can take days, weeks of leg symptoms.
    Does anyone else get this?
  2. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I always have an achy muscle feeling in my thighs, all the time! And If I'm really tired, I feel like my arms and legs weigh 100 lbs.
  3. Teri620

Teri620 New Member

Looks like you might be new to the board so I would like to say hello and welcome. You are probably going to find a whole lot of useful stuff on this website.

About your post...Have you been to a Rheumatory DR yet? It sounds like the way you are describing your pain in your legs that you have Fibromyalgia... As for your migraines...What kind of medication are you taking? Right now my Mother in Law is taking Imitrex, Amerge and Topamax. It seems that her body is beginning to build up an immunity to them so a few months ago I went to a CVS and read the labels on a whole bunch of migraine medicine (OTC). If you look closely you will see that almost everything that says Migraine has the same exact amount of acemetophine(?) But I did find this stuff that is mixed in that kind of stands out. It is in a red box (no bottle inside) and it's called GelStart Migraine. It is completely natural and right now seems to be the only thing she can take to really help break the cycle and keep them from getting too bad. Trust me that's really saying something! There have been times where she has had migraines for MONTHS at a time...

Well, I hope this information is useful to you. You may try doing a search on the board as well because there is tons of info on here.

Best of Luck and C-ya around!
    Nellie

P.S. There is also something over the counter called legatrim P.M. she also takes this to help eleviate the pain in her legs and combat Restless Legs Syndrome.
  4. katbird7

katbird7 New Member

I suffer a great deal with the achiness in my legs--sometimes unbearable. This pain usually wakes me up through the night or early morning. Sometimes it subsides through the day or sometimes it worsens, but it seems to always be there. Nothing I take or have taken seems to help. I take Lortab, Soma, Klonopin (and a several others with such bad side effects I had to quit). Like you, they feel like they're weighed down and hard to walk. I am 48, but sometimes feel 88.

I have also had a RETURN of migraines after recently trying Lyrica for my fibro. I appreciate the tips on Gelstart Migraine and Legatrim P.M. I wonder if they're expensive, and if I can mix with my other meds.
  5. 57Wagon

57Wagon New Member

I also have CFS, my calves and thighs ache and at times I really walk slow and have a hard time keeping up with anyone. I complained about that very thing to my doctors, but I never got a response from them.
  6. 62wonderwoman

62wonderwoman New Member

Yes, I am new to this website. First time on anything like this.
    No, I haven't been to a Rheumatologist yet.
    After a really bad period of migraines and probably a virus also, I just never recovered my energy and my legs got bad.
    That was 1 1/2 years ago and I still battle with fatigue, activity intolerance, achiness. I'm unable to work. My neurologist said that it was probably CFS. He said the leg pain could be some Fibro too. He has told me that a Rheumatologist would just say, "Yes, that's what you have." And there wasn't anything to do about it.
    I am quite frustrated about the CFS and it's impact on my life. I recently tried to talk to my primary care doctor and all he wanted to talk about was getting me exercising.
    I have tried Gel Stat. Didn't help me. Did nothing. I'm glad it helped your relative though. Relpax does help me when I get a migraine, but I can only use it twice a week. Other days I am stuck with just Ibuprofen.
    My legs are usually pretty good at night (thankfully). It's activity and beigng overtired that triggers them.
    I'm just starting Zonegran for migraine prevention. I'm hopeful.
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Check out the condition called PAD - Peripheral Artery Disease - which causes many of the same symptoms you are decribing in the legs.

Below is info on this condition (in relation to a drug called Plavix which is supposed to help).

About Poor Leg Circulation

What causes peripheral artery disease?

Peripheral artery disease (P.A.D.) is a condition in which the arteries in the limbs become narrow from plaque (a buildup of cholesterol and other materials) that may restrict the flow of blood. Even if you do not experience symptoms from the condition (and many people do not), P.A.D. is cause for concern. It indicated you may be at increased risk for having a heart attack or stroke.

P.A.D. and your risk of future events

Research shows that people with P.A.D. face a 4 times greater risk of having a heart attack, and a 2 times greater risk of having a stroke. People who experience symptoms of P.A.D. have a 15 times greater risk of dying from cardiovascular disease, including heart attack and stroke, and a 1 in 4 chance of dying within 2 years. These conditions share a common risk: if you have a buildup of plaque in your leg (peripheral) arteries, you are likely to have plaque buildup in other arteries—such as those leading to the heart or the brain. If this plaque ruptures, it can cause clots to form, and these clots may cause a heart attack or stroke.

P.A.D. is often a silent condition

Unfortunately, most people with P.A.D. experience no symptoms at all. In fact, only about one third of P.A.D. patients feel any pain. If you do have P.A.D., by the time you actually feel pain in your legs, your arteries may have narrowed by 60% or more. So it's important to talk to your doctor about P.A.D.

You may be at increased risk of P.A.D. if you:

Have diabetes
    Smoke or have smoked in the past
    Have high blood pressure or high cholesterol
    Are over the age of 70

Fortunately, your doctor can diagnose P.A.D. with a simple, painless test called the Ankle-Brachial Index (ABI). During the test, you simply lie in a resting position while blood pressure measurements are taken from your arms and legs. The ABI can usually be performed in a doctor's office in less than 10 minutes.

When symptoms occur

Recognized symptoms of P.A.D. include pain, cramps, a tired feeling, or heaviness in your calves, thighs, or buttocks that occurs when you exercise—even just walking a short distance. Another sign is that the pain or discomfort most likely eases after rest.

Symptoms that a clot may have formed in the leg include a reddish-blue color of the leg when sitting, paleness when the leg is elevated, or little or no pulse in the leg or foot. Talk to your doctor if you notice these or any other changes in your condition.

8. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I too get migranes - I am currently taking topomax to help control them and it has helped.

The achey legs is also a huge problem. My calves, knees & theighs ache most of the time and nothing seems to keep that away. It gets worse as the day goes on and from time to time they feel so heavy I trip over the floor:) I trip up stairs because it is difficult to lift them and I do not realize I am not pulling them up far enough - lol. I guess I just have to keep a good sense of humor about it all.

Rest is what I have found to be the best for me as well. If I can lay down and stretch them out it buys me a bit of time. I do take tramadol for the aches and that also helps if I stay on top of it - it does not make me feel all druged out which I can not afford with a business and 2 children.

I am like you and see my primary and a neurologist and not a rhumatologist. I like my drs and I do not wish to change a good thing. My neurologist is doing the same thing a rhumy would anyway. Go where you are comfortable:)

Have a great week-end!
    Kelly