Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybugmandy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. i emailed dr. lerner to ask if people who have CFS and probable EBV infection should get the flu shot.

he said "yes".

2. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

that's interesting isn't it?

I've avoided it sometimes in the past, go to know!

3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

So he thinks that everyone with CFS should get the flu shot, regardless of what treatments they're using?

Not just people on AV's (i.e. all of his CFS patients)?

I can see why people on AV's should get the flu shot. A lot of us have had very bad colds or flus while on AV's. I had a big dip in my overall strength and ability to tolerate the drug as a result, and I know that others did too.

I don't know how I feel about getting it when not on any AV's though. Other than last year on the AV, I've only had one cold/flu in the entire time I've been sick.

4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. i dont know how dr. lerner feels about the flu shot for everyone with CFS, but i have had CFS for 15 years and have gotten the flu shot for most of those years with no problems.

i heard one doctor say that it is possible that antivirals MAY make it less likely for you to get the flu.

5. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

I think I'll stay away. I haven't ever gotten them, I think I have had the flu twice in my life.
  6. ajl338

ajl338 New Member

When i was really ill and not mixing with anyone i didnt bother with a flu jab, I figured the chance of catching it was low as i didnt meet many other people.

When i started a teacher training course and mixing with upwards of 1000 children a week i decided that i would have a flu jab. I have had one for the last 6 years with no problems (i did have a sore arm for a few days last year)

I was told that if your body didnt like the jab then it would just deal with it and you wouldnt be immune and if it did then you would, either way nothing too bad would happen. The only people that cant have one is if you are allergic to eggs.

My biggest issue is getting the nurse to put them in my bum so i dont have a sore arm and can push my wheelchair!

7. frango2

frango2 New Member

Each year I wonder about this. I have stayed away since I got sick, but if we have a really bad year I think I may get one.
  8. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thanks for passing on that info, Sue.

I have gotten maybe three of them over the time I've had CFS. They actually made me feel better! They seemed to help my immune system somehow.

But I have heard plenty of people on this board say that flu shots made their FM or CFS worse. And many of us don't mingle with lots of people anyway. So it seems wise to use one's own judgment about it.

And now that I think about it, the flu shots I had were done before I started messing around with anti-viral supplements. Once I was doing that, I felt more hesitant to potentially annoy my immune system.

[This Message was Edited on 08/19/2008]
  9. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I never got a flu shot until a couple years ago - now I don't get the flu which is great! No issues with the shot either.

But, a word of caution for those who don't mingle much - germs are everywhere and even if you have your groceries delivered, they could easily be coated with flu viruses (all it takes is one sick person to sneeze, cough, or touch the package).