CFS linked to ACTH malfunction

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JohnS, Nov 29, 2002.

1. JohnS

JohnS New Member

A hormone imbalance may cause chronic fatigue syndrome, a study suggests. Researchers in Germany have found that a hormone called ACTH does not work properly in people with the condition.

I read about this here:

(Edited by Moderator to Remove URL)

Apparently the study is published in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine, although I have been unable to find it.

I must say I have thought for a long time that my problems may be in some way hormonal, particularly as my fatigue is worse first thing in the morning.

Does anyone know anymore about this ?
  2. JohnS

JohnS New Member

A hormone imbalance may cause chronic fatigue syndrome, a study suggests. Researchers in Germany have found that a hormone called ACTH does not work properly in people with the condition.

I read about this here:

(Edited by Moderator to Remove URL)

Apparently the study is published in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine, although I have been unable to find it.

I must say I have thought for a long time that my problems may be in some way hormonal, particularly as my fatigue is worse first thing in the morning.

Does anyone know anymore about this ?
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

at least for me. I got cfids from working the night shift. There has been a lot of talk about the HPA lately - it really has my interest. Thanks for pointing out that article. Amy
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have to be very careful when we see articles which claim to show the "cause" of our illnesses. Do our hormones cause our illnesses or do our illnesses cause our hormone production/utilization to be abnormal?

Love, Mikie
  5. JohnS

JohnS New Member

I didn't know we are not allowed to post URL's , why is that ?
  6. lucky

lucky New Member

I agree with Mikie and one should be cautious what one is reading in regards to new 'cures' or new 'research discoveries'.
    I made the effort a few days ago to look at all these articles, many of them are very valuable to read, but some are also very confusing, and because of this we have to be careful in how we are reading them, which can make it difficult because we are all wishing and hoping for more answers to our many problems. The sooner the better.
    Take care, Lucky