CFS low body temp. Why? What to do if thyroid med is no help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by hubcap_halo, Sep 11, 2007.

1. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Do you have a low body temp AND you're on low dose thyroid medication?

My waking body temps are usually pretty low 96.5-97.5.
    At night they are a little higher.
    If I'm feeling feverish, my body temp only spikes to 98.5, maybe 99 at the highest.

I've been on Armour thyroid 60mg, but it was cut because my last thyroid tests came back a little high.

Anyway, WHY are our body temps so low and how to we fix that? It seems critical to me. Fighting pathogens requires HEAT.

THANKS!!!!!
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I have FM and hypothryoidism. My temperature never goes beyong 96.5 unless I'm ill and like you, it barely reaches normal then.

Out body temperature is controlled by the hypothalmus gland in the brain. Issues with this gland can directly affect all other hormone and endocrine levels in the body including the thyroid.

Many FM and CFS'ers have issues with temperature. I haven't found anything that improves it however. Maybe another poster may have ideas.

All the best,

Eileen
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Some people report that their body temperature has gone up after being on the methylation for a while. I don't know the reason.

Are you still doing the methylation, by the way? If so, how do you think it's going?

Best, Lisa
  4. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm doing Methylation. But this is only my 3rd week. I'm also on Valcyte which has been making me tired. Though today was a good day.

Now I have this itching feeling I need to have my mercury fillings removed properly and do the detox. Oi. So much money.
  5. pv

pv New Member

I had the same problem until I started doing yoga several times a week. I wore heavy sweats to class and everyone else would be hot and I was still cold. I also started using exercises from Energy Medicine by Donna Eden. The combination of the two have really helped me. I am still on thyroid meds but I have been able to get off most of my other meds. Instead I use herbs from my Acupucturist and Naturopath. Now I have a more normal tempuature and am not running around in wool all year long to keep warm.
  6. adpace

adpace New Member

is that my MD will pass off my fever as "low-grade" if he even acknowledges it. If you wake up in the morning regularly with a 96.? body temp, then 99 is a considerable fever, right?

I can't really answer your question and I wish I could help, but my temperature has come up some with the Thyroid meds. I just wish I could get my doc to understand that just because I don't have a normal fever, that doesn't mean I don't feel well!

Maybe that's why we get sick so much - not enough heat to fight off the junk. The raise in temp hasn't seemed to help me any though. . .
  7. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I agree.

I'm surprised any Dr. would not see significance in low body temp. I think that is false.

If the difference between a fever and "healthy" body temp is only two degrees. Then having an average body temp of 96.5 is a problem.

I have read that with each degree below 98.6, your body's ability to infection fighting efficiency drops by 10%.

Before getting ME/CFS I had a 98.6 or so average temp. When I got sick I got hot 103 fevers, felt horrible and was soon well. Now with an average temp of 96.5 I'm often sick and my fevers are low and my illnesses last long.

Still, I believe a cure, or at least control, for this disease is coming.

8. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi hubcap_halo

Many of us experience the same thing, a high temp for us is closer to the normal for humans.

A lowered body temp is well documented in lyme disease too, and is often written about in terms of it's being the "parasite's" means of survival. As with other successful Tx the need for thyroid meds, or alternatives to support thyroid function, often goes away once the patient starts to improve significantly.

Low body temp has been documented with infections generally, in fact mine was explained this way by two haematologists who said it was not uncommon. Infections with low body temp are recognised amongst new borns, the elderly and the frail. Surgeons know a low temp can lead to post surgery infections.

Mercury affects thyroid function resulting in a low temp. Many with these DDs have problems converting T4 to T3, this can respond better to supplementing T3 rather than both as in armour thyroid. I haven't looked into whether mercury is linked to this conversion.

On Ken Lassesen's site he writes about temps rising when supplementing with vit D; presumably this is down to it's role in the immune system. Vitamin D along with keeping warm are now two recommendations for keeping winter colds and flu at bay.

Some patients use far infrared saunas, so they can raise the body's core temp, as part of their protocols to treat infections.

TC, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 09/13/2007]
  9. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I tried an iodine supplement for several months but did not notice any improvement.

10. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Another thing.....I have read that low body temperatures are often associated with lyme. I don't think the association with "plain" CFS is nearly as strong.

My daytime body temperatures have historically been normal. Unless I am making a proactive effort to kill pathogens, my temperature is 98.6 on the dot. If my "normal" temperature was low, I most certainly would look carefully into lyme even if initial tests said I was okay.)

(I have measured low with the Barnes thyroid test, taken first thing upon wakening. Taking supplemental T3 has helped me with that. That's a different matter entirely though.)

11. Shannah

Shannah Member

I raised the chronically low body temperature of both myself and my son using Vitamin D, as outlined on Ken's site FWIW Protocol. We have found vitamin D extremely valuable and actually experience die off reactions with it.

Quoting from previous post:
    On Ken Lassesen's site he writes about temps rising when supplementing with vit D; presumably this is down to it's role in the immune system. Vitamin D along with keeping warm are now two recommendations for keeping winter colds and flu at bay.

12. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I call my low body temp a "negative fever." I used to always be around 97.5. If I was really sick it would go down to 96.5 and the nurse would always say that she it just didn't register on the thermometer. The dr. would realize that this was my true temp. I am surprised I had a dr. willing to state this and accept that this is how my body reacted when I was really sick with a sinus infections or something. Now I've been getting a temp up to 99.9 later in the day. Not sure why as it just started and I've changed nothing.

Either way, when it drops or goes up, I feel lousy. I ache like I have a fever. Not sure what to do to bring up temp except snuggle under blankets. I take OTC NSAIDs for when it goes up 99+.

I am on Synthroid and a compounded T-3 cream for hypothyroidism. Hot flashes are gone. I was on Armour Thyroid but was taken off after blood work indicated I needed less of it.

I suggest keeping track of it several times a day for a month or so (rule out hormone induced like with PMS).

My understanding is that your temp should be lower after sleeping (morning) with a peak (high) in afternoon (3:00/4:00pm).
  13. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Thyroid can be bound by a protein and unavailable if we don't have enough of certain fatty acids in our diet, particularly Omega 3s.

If I take flax oil, within a few hours I will have a low fever and my temperature usually runs 96-97, even on natural thyroid (I use ERFA, the Canadian equivalent of Armour). This is because the hormone is released from its binding protein.

Estrogen can increase the binding of thyroid to the protein and lower metabolism but blood tests can show normal levels unless they're looking for "free" T4/T3.

Jan