CFS/M.E. diagnosed by eye test?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcus1243, Dec 12, 2002.

1. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

This isn't new by any means, but I was wondering if anybody had heard anything more on it..?

--Marcus
    --------------------------------------------------
    Dr. Ian James, consultant and reader in clinical pharmacology at London's Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, believes he has found a way of diagnosing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and hopes to develop it into a treatment program.

The breakthrough came after months of research spearheaded by Dr. James and Prof. John Barbur of London's City University. It centres around the discovery that the eyes of ME sufferers respond to light and motion stimuli in an unusual way.

"Several doctors treating ME patients noticed they showed an abnormal pupil response," says Dr. James. "When the pupil is subjected to changes in light or is required to alter focus from a close object to one further away, it does so by constricting and dilating.

"ME patients' eyes do this as well, but there is an initial period of instability when the pupil fluctuates in size."

Using a computerized "pupilometer" which precisely measures eye response, Dr. James embarked on a detailed study of this phenomenon on ME sufferers, using non-sufferers as a control.

A variety of shapes was flashed onto a screen and moved across it while a computer precisely measured pupil reflex to each of the 40 tests. Result confirm that the pupil fluctuation was peculiar to those participants who suffered from ME.

Dr. James concluded the abnormal pupil response is a result of some kind of interference in the transfer of impulses from the brain to the eye.

He believes ME is the result of a deficiency of a neuro-transmitter called 5HT, whose job is to pass impulses through nerves to cells. The eyes of ME sufferers treated with 5HT behave normally.

"I do not yet know how the ME virus causes abnormalities in 5HT transmission but it does inhibit its function," says Dr. James. By administering drugs to stimulate levels of 5HT together with treatment aimed at fighting postviral disease, Dr. James believes ME sufferers can be cured.

"I believe that ME is a problem of the brain, a neuro-pharmacological disorder. The people I see are very motivated towards getting better. ME can mean they are bedridden for years, yet they look quite well so people have no sympathy. I believe there is a physical cause for ME but there is undoubtedly a strong link between it and the psychological make-up of the sufferer.

Many sufferers are perfectionists who take on a mammoth work load. They cannot switch off. If they are laid low by a virus, they do not recover from it properly and there is where the problems start.

"It may be that their psychological make-up renders them vulnerable to ME. But it is not the cause...There is no evidence of structural damage to the brain, so everyone is capable of recovery from ME."
    ----------------------------------------------

2. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

This isn't new by any means, but I was wondering if anybody had heard anything more on it..?

--Marcus
    --------------------------------------------------
    Dr. Ian James, consultant and reader in clinical pharmacology at London's Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, believes he has found a way of diagnosing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and hopes to develop it into a treatment program.

The breakthrough came after months of research spearheaded by Dr. James and Prof. John Barbur of London's City University. It centres around the discovery that the eyes of ME sufferers respond to light and motion stimuli in an unusual way.

"Several doctors treating ME patients noticed they showed an abnormal pupil response," says Dr. James. "When the pupil is subjected to changes in light or is required to alter focus from a close object to one further away, it does so by constricting and dilating.

"ME patients' eyes do this as well, but there is an initial period of instability when the pupil fluctuates in size."

Using a computerized "pupilometer" which precisely measures eye response, Dr. James embarked on a detailed study of this phenomenon on ME sufferers, using non-sufferers as a control.

A variety of shapes was flashed onto a screen and moved across it while a computer precisely measured pupil reflex to each of the 40 tests. Result confirm that the pupil fluctuation was peculiar to those participants who suffered from ME.

Dr. James concluded the abnormal pupil response is a result of some kind of interference in the transfer of impulses from the brain to the eye.

He believes ME is the result of a deficiency of a neuro-transmitter called 5HT, whose job is to pass impulses through nerves to cells. The eyes of ME sufferers treated with 5HT behave normally.

"I do not yet know how the ME virus causes abnormalities in 5HT transmission but it does inhibit its function," says Dr. James. By administering drugs to stimulate levels of 5HT together with treatment aimed at fighting postviral disease, Dr. James believes ME sufferers can be cured.

"I believe that ME is a problem of the brain, a neuro-pharmacological disorder. The people I see are very motivated towards getting better. ME can mean they are bedridden for years, yet they look quite well so people have no sympathy. I believe there is a physical cause for ME but there is undoubtedly a strong link between it and the psychological make-up of the sufferer.

Many sufferers are perfectionists who take on a mammoth work load. They cannot switch off. If they are laid low by a virus, they do not recover from it properly and there is where the problems start.

"It may be that their psychological make-up renders them vulnerable to ME. But it is not the cause...There is no evidence of structural damage to the brain, so everyone is capable of recovery from ME."
    ----------------------------------------------

3. dojomo

dojomo New Member

I know that my position is largely ingnored...( but as you can see that doesn't stop me LOL!.....Lurkers read....)

For every symptom we have..I can find sources implicating exposure to Mercury or heavy metals.....

Chronic exposure to methyl mercury will inhibit the manufacture of neurotransmitters like acetylcholine so important for memory, concentration, coordination, vision and hearing ie tremors in hands and feet, slurred speech, blindness, deafness, fatigue many of the symptoms often described for multiple sclerosis. The immune system is not spared either. Poor resistance to viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites as well as an increase incidence of cancer and birth defects has also been reported

MeHg can also damage brain tissue by accumulating in astrocytes -- glial cells that normally soak-up glutamate neurotransmitter from synapses. With MeHg accumulation, astrocytes swell -- and astocyte uptake of glutamate is inhibited. Elevated glutamate in the extracellular space may trigger or accelerate neurodegeneration due to excitotoxicity.

Adult MeHg poisoning is characterized by damage to specific brain areas, such as the visual cortex or the granule layer of the cerebellum. Symptoms include visual & hearing abnormalities, muscle weakness, tremor and mental deterioration.

In the last 3 or 4 years......

The EPA is tying to cut emmissions in half.....

The FDA is warning about fish consumption and the

WHO (world heath organization) is removing mercury from vaccines.

Mercury thermometers are being banned....(HAZMET crews respond to spills now )

To me that raises a lot of red flags for me.........Perhaps there are some of us more sensitive to exposure..........IMHO of course..peace DJ
  4. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

in college I worked in the biology lab. In the back room we had every chemical known to man,(just about) and I was reading the bottles one day. I picked up about a pint of mercury to look at the lable and dropped it on the concrete floor. The bottle was glass. It shatterd all over the floor. Mercury went everywhere! Myself and two other students got down on hands and knees and cleaned it up by scooting the lakes and beads of mercury into another bottle.. We used little cards of plastic to move it but I got it on me! Now tell me if that didn't do something nice to my immune system. I had forgotten about this til you mentioned it. Hugs, N
  5. dojomo

dojomo New Member

It is frightening the way we handled mercury in the past. I can't tell you how many times we (nurses) broke thermometers at work at the hospital .... A hospital is a toxic waste land.....explains why a lot of nurses are sick....we would spend at least 40 hour a week there.

Recently on the nightly news here in Chicago a child brough mercury to school..you should have seen the commotion....ambulances and HAZMET crews......Things are changing now

I hope that this is what maybe causing our symptoms..because it is something that is preventable..and therefore CURABLE........Wouldn't it be nice if turned out to be this simple???.................

I think that either, the exposure levels guidelines were set too high...or there has been alot of non-compliance by industries.....or both. But I see ALOT of government activity concerning mercury....They don't step in and cost alot of industries alot of money to change FOR NO REASON.........Food for thought...DJ
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2002]