CFS/ME and EFAs - helping with hypoglycemia, energy and dehydration

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by xchocoholic, May 21, 2009.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I thought you all might be interested in this ... I'm hoping this explains my constant dehydration. Marcia

6/2/9 - Edited to add that since posting this, I've found these supplements taken 3 times daily is helping me with my fatigue and hypoglycemia too ... I have to remind myself to eat because I just don't feel hungry all the time anymore. : )

Diabetes: An Essential Fatty Acid Deficient Condition

Diabetes is a serious disease with nasty complications. It is one of the many diseases that is caused by an essential fatty acid deficiency. Find out the difference between type I and type II diabetes, and what cell membranes have to do with this condition.

Diabetes Mellitus, Type I and Type II

There are two kinds of diabetes.

The less common type of diabetes is call Type I (juvenile-onset) diabetes. It is also known as insulin-dependent diabetes melllitus. This type of diabetes accounts for only one tenth of all diabetes cases, and is caused by the destruction of the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. These cells are called beta cells and in diabetes I they have been destroyed by the immune system.

You could conjecture that essential fatty acid deficiencies might be involved in this condition, since such an event in the body is an auto immune event and auto immune diseases are inflammatory diseases which, in turn, are often caused by an essential fatty acid imbalance. Type I diabetes symptoms require the administration of insulin to the body.

Ninety percent of diabetes cases are not of type I, rather, they are of type II diabetes. Type II Diabetes, it turns out, is a disease caused by compromised cellular membranes. Omega-3 fatty acid deficiencies in the body's cell membranes and the resultant loss in fluidity of the membranes is related to "insulin resistance" of cells.

This is the defining characteristic or type II diabetes which is usually seen only in middle-aged or older people. In type II diabetes the body produces insulin, but the insulin receptors on the cells do not work properly.

As a result, high levels of blood sugar and insulin will be observed simultaneously in the blood steam of persons with this disease, (by contrast, in persons suffering from type I diabetes while high levels of sugar are observed, low to non-existent levels of insulin are observed in the blood).

Diabetes II: How it Works

In Type II diabetes, insulin is produced in the normal manner by the pancreas when there is an increase in blood sugar levels in your body. Ordinarily, insulin which is released into the blood stream is received by insulin receptors on the cell membranes.

In this way insulin serves as a chemical messenger to the cells communicating to them that blood sugar levels have risen and they need to start taking in and storing these sugars.

If you have type II diabetes, however, the insulin receptors on the cell membranes apparently are not functioning (or perhaps they are simply not present in the usual quantities).

In type II diabetes, when sugar enters the blood steam insulin levels soar as the pancreas responds to increasing sugar levels but the cells do not respond by taking up the sugar.

This whole business can be most taxing upon the pancreas which will make more and more insulin in an attempt to take care of the excess sugar which is racing around the body, taxing the kidneys, which will end up excreting the sugar.

Meanwhile, the extraordinary amounts of sugar in the blood stream end up randomly attaching themselves to cell membrane proteins here and there. The body's immune system normally uses sugar sequences which are attached to cell membrane proteins to identify which cells are part of the body, and which are invaders.

When sugars randomly attach themselves to the body's cell membranes, bogus sugar sequences form and this confuses the immune system. What is the end result of this? Auto immune damage. The immune system mistakes the bodies own cells for invaders since they can not be identified properly anymore.

Omega 3 Oils and Diabetes

Diabetes is associated with increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, blindness, loss of nerve function and loss of limbs due to blood flow restrictions. These other conditions are also related to the problem of omega-3 fatty acid deficiencies in the tissues of these systems.

Both type II diabetes, and the associated conditions listed above result from, and are associated with essential fatty acid imbalances and deficiencies. Please follow the links in this article series for a more in-depth look at the relationship between diabetes, essential fatty acids and good health.

Murray, T. N.D. and Jade Beutler, R.R.T., R.C.P.,(1996). Understanding Fats & Oils, Progressive Health Publishing, Encinitas, CA.

Gordon, Garry, M.D., D.O., M.D.(H.), Herb Joiner-Bey, N.D.(2004).The Omega-3 Miracle. Freedom Press, Topanga, CA

Second section of the same article ...

What is Syndrome X and How Does Omega-3 Prevent It?

Syndrome X is the name given to the Pre-Diabetes state. You can reverse this state simply by increasing omega-3 levels in your bodily tissues. Here are some tips on what you need to look for if you are wondering about diabetes in your case.

Syndrome X

Since diabetes II is arising from an essential fatty acid deficiency, it is not surprising that a very large proportion of Americans are showing symptoms which portend the advent of this disease. Persons who could already be described as being " insulin resistant" account for fifty percent of the population in United States.

What people are at the most risk of getting diabetes? Virtually every one who is overweight and who suffers from high blood pressure. These people are all also insulin resistant. These remarkable statistics could be substantially improved simply changing the essential fatty acid status of these people - something that is not at all difficult to do.

This pre-type II diabetes condition is called "Syndrome X". If you have received the syndrome x diagnosis you will probably notice that you are unusually thirsty.

The high levels of sugar in your blood stream in effect create a situation of dehydration as far as your cells are concerned. If you respond to your thirst by drinking sweetened beverages your blood sugar will rise farther. You will have to urinate more frequently, and yet you will feel even thirstier.

Meanwhile, your cells will not be able to take in the sugar, since their insulin receptors are not working. You will feel like you are suffering the sugar blues, while your pancreas is going through a major panic, trying to get the message out to the cells to "get that sugar put away!".

You will likely feel apathetic, you might feel tingling or burning in your hands or feet and you may also experience reduced resistance to infections.

The tingling or burning in your hands and feet what you feel if you are experiencing diabetic neuropathology. Researchers have now shown this to be caused by the fatty-acid breakdown of the nerve cells.

How Omega-3's Can Reverse Type II Insuline Resistance
    Insulin resistant cells are really just insulin-non-responsive cells.

They aren't actually actively resisting insulin, they are simply not responding to insulin.

What researchers have noticed is that the less fluid a cell membrane is, the less responsive it is to insulin.

Fluid cell membranes have lots of omega-3 fatty acids in their structure. Stiff cell membranes do not.

Is it the cell membrane fluidity itself that is needed for the insulin receptor proteins to function properly or is it simply that omega-3 deficient cell membranes simply can't hold enough insulin receptors?

See "Cell Membrane Nutrition: Feed Your Phospholipids with Omega-3's" by this author for more information on this topic.

Whatever the case, the good news is that simply by increasing your omega-3 intake you will be able to correct insulin resistance in your own case.

Studies have shown that the frequent consumption of small amounts of omega-3 oils is all that is need to prevent insulin resistance.

And, even when insulin resistance develops in a person who's diet is high in saturated fats and omega-6 oils, but low in omega-3 oils, reversal of the condition requires only that omega-3 intake be increased. Insulin resistance can be reversed in such a case even with no decrease in saturated fat levels.

Other points to pay attention to would be:

Avoid sweets, processed foods, products bake with white flour
    Using whole grains and nuts and beans

Using high fiber cereals
    Consume lots of green leafy vegetables
    Consume lots of ocean fish

Use flax seed oil (one or two tbsp a day is the recommended dose, use it on toast, or on salad, or steamed vegetables)

Use only Olive oil and butter and coconut oil in cooking
    AVOID margarine (even ones that say omega-3 on them)
    AVOID supermarket refined oils

AVOID oil containing salad dressing (make your own with olive oil or use flax seed oil directly)

One interesting and beneficial side effect of this regime is that if you are overweight, you are very likely to loose weight, and if you have high blood pressure, it will be improved.

Murray, T. N.D. and Jade Beutler, R.R.T., R.C.P.,(1996). Understanding Fats & Oils, Progressive Health Publishing, Encinitas, CA.

Gordon, Garry, M.D., D.O., M.D.(H.), Herb Joiner-Bey, N.D.(2004).The Omega-3 Miracle. Freedom Press, Topanga, CA

[This Message was Edited on 05/21/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2009]
  2. quanked

quanked Member

3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Thanks quanked ... I wanted to come back and update this so others will see this too ...

This treatment has really been helping me with energy, dehydration and blood glucose / hypoglycemia symptoms.

Dr. Perlmutter (nuerologist) explains here how our bodies use fats to create prostaglandins. He says that these are responsible for calming and/or upregulating our immune systems. Prostaglandins 1 and 3, created from omega 3 and 6, calm the immune system while prostaglandin 2 created from saturated fats activate our immune system. There goes my organic bacon ... ; ),M1

Dr. Perlmutter has a lot of good info on the web about EFAs, but since this referred to upregulating the immune system, I wanted to make sure you saw this ...

I started taking Carlson's cod liver oil and Iceland Health omegas last week and my energy level has improved. : ) I started taking this because I read that it can help with syndrome X / diabetes and my blood glucose levels have been a problem for years. This article states that EFAs help our bodies process glucose. This is the first article listed here ...

Here's that article ...

Now I just have to figure out if I'm getting enough EFAs, DHAs, EPAs, GLAs, etc. Geesh, it's a lot to learn ... One report I read recommended taking 12 grams of fish oil daily for Raynauds (I have this too). Now that's a lot of fish oil. lol ...

HTH .. Marcia

Edited to say .. In case the long link for this book doesn't I found this by googling Perlmutter daily EPA. This was found on pages 555 and 556. This is the book..

4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Anti-inflammatory Effects Of Omega 3 Fatty Acid In Fish Oil Linked To Lowering Of Prostaglandin

ScienceDaily (Apr. 4, 2006) — Omega 3 fatty acids in dietary fish oil are reported to have anti-inflammatory and anti-thrombogenic and anti-arrhythmic effects in humans, but the biochemical basis for these beneficial health effects is not well understood. Now a University of Michigan biochemist reports that fish oil significantly diminishes the production and effectiveness of various prostaglandins, naturally occurring hormone-like substances that can accentuate inflammation and thrombosis.

Dr. William L. Smith described his findings on April 4 at Experimental Biology 2006 in San Francisco. His presentation was part of the scientific program of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB).

Dietary fish oil causes its prostaglandin-lowering effects through three different mechanisms, says Dr. Smith.

First, the much fewer prostaglandins are made from omega 3 fatty acids as compared to the other class of fatty acids in the body, the omega 6 family of fatty acids that originate in the diet from leafy vegetables and other plant sources.

Second, the omega 3 fatty acids compete with omega 6 fatty acids for the same binding site on the COX 1 enzyme that converts the omega 6 fatty acids to prostaglandin (which is why the COX 1 enzyme and its COX 2 cousin are the targets of anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen). The more omega 3 fatty acids present to block the binding sites, the fewer omega 6 fatty acids are able to be converted to prostaglandin.

Third, although omega 3 fatty acids also are converted to prostaglandins, the prostaglandins formed from omega 3 are generally 2 to 50 times less active than those formed from the omega 6 fatty acids from dietary plants.

The biochemical basis of other benefits of dietary fish oil -- for example, omega 3 fatty acids' impact on neuronal development and visual acuity -- are probably due to effects on biochemical pathways regulating nerve transmission. Understanding the different pathways through which omega 3 works to convert prostaglandin helps explain why the plant-based omega 6 fatty acids don't simply provide the same benefits. Because of omega 3 fatty acids' known benefits to health, especially cardiovascular health, Dr. Smith's advice is simple: eat more fish.

5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Fish oil tablets could fight ME

Chronic fatigue syndrome or ME may be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, according to doctors.

They have also suggested that taking certain fish oil supplements may help to alleviate some of the symptoms associated with the condition.

Chronic fatigue syndrome affects an estimated 243,000 people of all ages in the UK.

It causes a wide range of symptoms including muscle pain, memory loss, and severe exhaustion which can last many years and leave victims bed-ridden.

Dr Basant Puri and colleagues at Hammersmith Hospital in London used state-of-the-art scanning technology to assess chemical activity in the brain.

They examined a group of eight people who had been diagnosed with the syndrome and the same number of healthy people.

Brain chemicals

They found higher levels of two key chemicals - choline and creatine - in the brains of people with the condition.

Choline is important for controlling fat levels in brain cells while creatine provides energy.

The doctors said the findings suggested CFS patients had abnormal phospholipid metabolisms.

Phospholipids are special types of fats which are an essential component of cells. They are protected by certain types of fatty acids.

Doctors at Hammersmith believe fatty acid supplements could help to restore the chemical imbalance in the brain and alleviate the symptoms of CFS.

However, the supplements need to have high Eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA if it is to be effective.

Dr Puri said: "This study suggests that if patients with CFS take a high-EPA fatty acid supplement, then this should have a beneficial action on the chemical imbalances in the brain which we have identified."

But the charity Action for M.E. warned that the condition is complex.

Chris Clark, its chief executive, said: "CFS is a complex illness and all the evidence so far suggests that there's no single cause."

But he added: "We will look at this research with great interest."

The study is published in the journal Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica.

6. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Yes! I consider the EFAs I take to be among my most important supplements. And I do only cook with olive oil, butter, and coconut oil.

You might be interested in the Weston A. Price foundation website. There are some really good rants on there about fats and oils. Ever since I read the site, I haven't eaten transfats like shortening and margarine or rancid processed cooking oils.

And if you happen to be detoxing, it's even more important to eat lots of natural fats.

7. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Ok, here's two more articles I found on this that I really liked ... I'm sure those of you with brain fog will understand how it helps to read multiple sources ... lol ... interesting to say the least ...

What can essential fatty acids do for you?

By Nutritional Therapist Linda Lazarides

In the early 1990s Professor Peter Behan from the Glasgow-based Institute of Neurological Sciences carried out a double-blind trial on 63 patients with post-viral fatigue syndrome, to investigate the effects of administering four grams a day of the EFA supplement Efamol Marine, compared with an inert dummy product.

After three months, 85 per cent of the patients on Efamol Marine reported feeling better, compared with only 17 per cent of the control patients(i).

But measuring the benefits of supplementation is not always straightforward, and in 1999 another three-month study carried out at the University of Sheffield found no significant clinical differences between M.E. patients on Efamol Marine compared with a dummy treatment(ii).

What are EFAs?

Essential fatty acids are molecules found in tiny amounts in oils. They come in two distinct 'families'. Nuts, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds are good sources of the omega-6 family, while soya beans, flax seeds and oily fish (sardines, salmon etc.) are good sources of the omega-3 family.

These fatty acids are called 'essential' because the human body cannot make them. It is essential to obtain them from your diet. Your body then metabolises EFAs to make prostaglandins ­ hormone-like regulators of many body functions.

There are far larger amounts of EFAs in nuts and flax oil than you could possibly pack into a small capsule, so why give Efamol Marine rather than simple dietary advice? In fact, the special qualities of this product (and similar ones) lie not in supplying EFAs but in supplying partly metabolised EFAs known as EPA and GLA (see sidebar).

Many people with M.E. seem to lack a vital enzyme called D-6-D which allows the body to use EFAs.

Giving them a pre-metabolised product can partly bypass this enzyme. The resulting health benefits could help to prevent a whole range of symptoms. In Professor Behan's study the patients experienced reduced fatigue, muscle pain, dizziness and depression, and their concentration improved.

Energy and your mitochondria

Some researchers believe that EFAs can destroy viruses and that viruses accordingly target and destroy the D-6-D enzyme to protect themselves. But there is a simpler explanation for the lack of D-6-D in M.E./CFS, and this involves the role of the mineral magnesium.

Take a look at Figure 1 on the next page. There is a growing consensus among expert biochemists and cell biologists that the primary pathological process behind this illness is 'mitochondrial dysfunction'.

Your mitochondria are the units within your cells which produce the energy needed for most body processes.
    The name which biochemists give to this energy is ATP, and the description given to processes which require energy is 'ATP-driven'.

Many nutrients cannot just passively diffuse from your intestines into your blood and cells. They use ATP-driven processes to push them across cell membranes. Magnesium in particular needs a big push from ATP to get it into your cells where it carries out its vital work, helping to make the electrical charges which operate your nerve cells, heart, brain and muscles.Without magnesium, the D-6-D enzyme cannot function.

But according to nutritional testing experts, magnesium deficiency is common in patients with M.E./CFS(iii).
    When you take partly-metabolised EFA supplements, you are conserving the nutrients normally required tometabolise EFAs.

This is of major importance if you have a deficiency of any of these nutrients. Magnesium
    conservation alone could account for many benefits derived from taking partly-metabolised EFA supplements, in particular the reported reduction in muscle pain and tension; these are classic magnesium deficiency symptoms. Your mitochondria also use magnesium to make ATP, so by taking partly-metabolised EFAs you could theoretically gain more energy too.

Why not just take magnesium?

Logically, it would seem simpler just to take magnesium supplements to help make D-6-D, to metabolise your EFAs and support your mitochondria. The problem is, without the ability to make sufficient ATP you can still have a severe magnesium deficiency even if you take a supplement every day.

Remember that reduced ATP levels mean a reduced ability to absorb and assimilate this nutrient. If you can only absorb 10%, for instance, of the magnesium you consume, you would need to take 3,000 mg magnesium per day to get the RDA of 300 mg.

It is virtually impossible to get 3,000 mg magnesium a day from food. There is also a limit to how much you can take as oral supplements, since excessive magnesium causes diarrhoea and unbalances the absorption of other nutrients.

Research into M.E. nutrition and biochemistry is painfully scanty, but since the late 1990s a number of scientific papers have been pointing to a new discovery which suggests that EPA and GLA supplements could have a hitherto unrecognised therapeutic value in the treatment of M.E./CFS. This discovery is the role of cytokines.

Understanding cytokines

Cytokines are chemicals made by the white cells of the immune system. They are produced during inflammation, and elevated amounts of them have been found in some patients with M.E., and certain other chronic diseases, e.g.forms of arthritis.

The long-term presence of excess cytokines is very damaging, and many scientific antennae
    are now tuned into cytokines as the factor which prevents mitochondria from repairing themselves(iv).

Major stimulants of excess cytokine production certainly include viruses and other infections, but once the infection has healed, cytokine production should cease.

In M.E., arthritis and other chronic diseases for some reason it appears that it does not. Candidiasis and other forms of dysbiosis (bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine) are
    of course types of low-grade infection. These plus inflammatory changes encouraged by food intolerances, pollutants, dehydration etc. may be able to keep promoting cytokine production indefinitely.

Fish oil ­ leading the fight against cytokines

Cytokine promoters must be addressed by means of dietary changes, but researchers have also identified supplements with natural anti-inflammatory properties that can fight cytokines.

Fish oil is the most widely-researched product. Other cytokine-reducing supplements are bromelain, GLA, nettle extract and ginger extractv. If the vicious circle of cytokine production can be stopped, this may give the mitochondria the opportunity to repair themselves.

There is now some new evidence to support this approach. In April 2004 Dr Basant Puri at Hammersmith Hospital published the results of a fish oil trial on M.E./CFS patients, and the results look very encouraging(vi).

If you are seriously ill with M.E., I have just one caution. Not all fish oils are the same. Barry Sears, author of The Omega Rx Zone, is an author whom I very much respect. Crude fish oil and cod liver oil should be considered the sewer of the sea, says Sears. Anything that is water-insoluble, such as PCBs, DDT and organic mercury compounds, will be found in it. He recommends only using products whose level of PCBs is guaranteed to be less than 10 parts
    per billion (ppb).

And, he says, some products contain oils extracted from krill or tropical fish. These are relatively rich in arachidonic acid, which will undo the benefits of consuming the oil(vii).
    Sears recommends only highly purified fish oil which he calls 'pharmaceutical grade'. His book contains some really interesting case reports, including a rapid reversal of an advanced case of Alzheimer's disease. Dr Basant Puri also confirms that since his recent trial was published, he has obtained even better clinical results using a pharmaceutical grade product against CFS(viii).

Partly-metabolised EFA products

Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is a partly metabolised form of EFAs from theomega-6 family. It is found in the oils of evening primrose, blackcurrant and borage seeds.

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) is a partly metabolised form of EFAs from the omega-3 family, and is found in oil from the flesh (not the liver) of fish such as salmon, pilchards, sardines, herrings and mackerel. GLA and EPA are found together in the combination products Efamol Marine, and in Biocare's Omegaplex (see page opposite ­ Ed).

Pharmaceutical-grade fish oil is available by mail order from the Nutri Centre, who offer a 25% discount to AfME members. Tel. 0207 436 5122 or visit Brand names include VegEPA (used by Dr Basant Puri and also incorporating virgin evening primrose oil ­ see, Eskimo 3 made by Nutri Ltd, and Arctic Omega. Overdosing with any supplement could unbalance your body chemistry, so always follow
    the manufacturer's directions and ideally supplement under expert supervision.

Prescriptions: If your local chemist stocks any of these products, you could try asking your GP for a prescription,but you may well get a refusal as local health authorities will make the GP pay if they do not believe the prescription is scientifically justified.

ATP: Adenosine triphosphate, the name given to raw energy made by the mitochondria

D-6-D (Delta-6-Desaturase): The enzyme which metabolises EFAs in the body.This enzyme cannot work without
    sufficient magnesium, zinc and vitamin B6

Dysbiosis: Overgrowth of harmful bacteria or fungi (e.g. Candida) in the small intestine

Candidiasis: A type of fungal dysbiosis

Mitochondria: The part of the cell which makes ATP (energy)

Why do we need EFAs?

The primary role of EFAs is to be turned into prostaglandins which help to regulate our water balance, blood
    pressure, blood clotting and inflammatory processes. Symptoms of severe EFA deficiency include itchy dry
    skin and eyes, excessive thirst and skin rashes. Milder deficiencies may go unnoticed.

Testing for deficiencies
    As low magnesium levels are common in M.E. and in turn cause poor EFA metabolism, essential fatty acid blood levels would probably also show up as low in many M.E. patients. For this reason tests are of limited value in my view. However, if patients did want to get nutritional status checks done privately, Biolab in London offer a blood-testing postal kit which you can take to your GP then return to them by special delivery the same day for analysis. A test for red blood cell magnesium costs £11 while the EFA panel is £48 and results must be
    sent to your doctor. To find out more, visit or tel. 020 7636 5959.

InterAction medical advisor Dr Kelly Morris comments:

The theory presented is fascinating, although without good epidemiology research, I cannot share Linda Lazarides' certainty that immune activation, mitochondrial dysfunction, or EFA and magnesium deficiencies are common to many people with CFS/M.E.

But as different lines of evidence converge, I am optimistic that these and other recurring
    themes represent final common pathways of the different triggers for chronic fatigue and related symptoms.

The pattern of dysfunction described here may be particularly relevant to people with an infectious or immunological trigger (e.g. vaccination), as these people are most likely to have chronic immune activation.

This may explain the discrepancy in findings between studies, since Prof Behan's group studied people with post-viral fatigue whereas researchers at Sheffield studied CFS, which could lead to large differences between studies in the number of people with chronic immune activation. Also, Prof Behan's study found 85% of people had deficient EFAs while the Sheffield
    study did not find any difference between patients and healthy participants.

Together with the research by Dr Puri, these studies suggest that people with an infectious or immune trigger, particularly those with proven EFA deficiency, might benefit from a 3-month trial of supplements.

The only prescribable UK preparations are Omocor and Maxepa, licensed for an indication other than EFA deficiency. Testing for red cell EFAs is not widely available though I would guess that a sympathetic doctor is likely to take more notice of a lab test indicating deficiency, especially when backed up by the reports of these three trials.

About the author
    Linda Lazarides is a nutritional health expert and author of seven books.Her latest: Treat Yourself with Nutritional Therapy (ISBN 0953804631) has an informative section on M.E./CFS, plus over 100 recipes for meals to help reduce allergies and cytokines. To find out more, visit her website at you decide to try taking pharmaceutical-grade fish oil, Linda would be very interested in a report from you on the results. Write to her
    c/o AfME at Box No. 4041

i Behan PO et al. Effect of high doses of essential fatty acids on the
    postviral fatigue syndrome. Acta Neurol Scand 1990; 82:209-216

ii Warren G, McKendrick M, Peet M. The role of essential fatty acids in
    chronic fatigue syndrome. Acta Neurol Scand 1999 Feb;99 2):112-6

iii Howard JM et al. Magnesium and chronic fatigue syndrome. Lancet,
    August 15 1992;340:426

iv Patarca R. Cytokines and chronic fatigue syndrome. Ann N Y Acad Sci.
    2001 Mar;933: 185-200

v Arthritis.

vi Puri BK. The use of eicosapentaenoic acid in the treatment of chronic
    fatigue syndrome.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2004

vii The Omega Rx Zone by Barry Sears PhD (Regan Books, 2003)

viii Personal communication, 19/4/2004

Increased Requirements for Essential Fatty Acids in Atopic
    Individuals: A Review With Clinical Descriptions

Leo Galland, MD, FACN, FACP
    Gesell Institute of Human Development, New Haven, Connecticut

This one is just too long to copy in but it's good too ...

Um, I guess this sums up what I've been researching lately ...

Not to sound like "Debbie Downer" from SNL but let's hope it lasts ... Marcia
  8. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

It's funny how we can miss info on this board even if it's right in front of us. I don't remember seeing your articles on EFAs.

I found this because I was googling dehydration and blood gluclose problems because I thought that there might be a link. I have been salt loading for my OI (orthostatic intolerance which is probably caused by low blood volume which is probably caused by dehydration) since May 08 and I finally decided it was an effective but dead end approach to to this problem. I was curious as to why our cells won't hold water or salt and it appears to be the lack of EFAs.

Good points on the chromium and diet. I already addressed those and this appears to be what I was missing ... knock on wood ... marcia
  9. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

That was a great article by Nutritional Therapist Linda Lazarides, but she left out something.

Having biotoxins circulating in one's body also causes one's cytokines to be high. It causes chronic immune activation because the immune system is constantly irritated.

And the best way to stop it is to remove the source of the biotoxins: to cure the Lyme infection or get away from the source of toxic mold. (or avoid whatever else is poisoning you)

I'm saddened that some researchers and doctors have understood what biotoxins do to the body for years now, and some other medical people have apparently not heard of them.