CFS: Medschool

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybugmandy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

it is just me or is all this research giving anyone else a hankering to become a doctor? lol
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

we could all pool our resources and send you!

3. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Funny you should mention it ... I already wanted to go into medicine before getting sick, and after getting sick, doing TONS of research, having crummy experiences with MDs, finding a great nurse practitioner and getting better ... I now REALLY want to be nurse practitioner.

So yeah, CFS made me want to go to med school (or at least nursing grad school)!!!

Plus, lots of us are amateur health experts on a lot of things just by what we learn trying to get healthier!!
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

If I were thirty years younger without this DD and darn fogginess it would sound appealing.

Maybe I can have my FFFs (Fibro Fog Fairies), go to school for me. Since they have insisted on running my life, I have made them my personal assistants!! You have to work with what you have.

But it is fun to learn new things, eh? If I did have the money I would love to take a course, maybe in creative or therapuetic writing.

5. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

yes medschool is a little far fetched now...and it was before too..for other reasons.

sadly, i had NO interest in biology before this happened.

6. waltz

waltz New Member

Yeah, this gives us the motivation but we are too sick to go to med school.

I think if I do get well, I really will look into not an MD but something like an MS or PhD in a biomedical science.
  7. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

waltz...i was thinking the same thing.

if i become well, the LAST thing i would want to do is make my life stressful so medical school would be out of the question.

but maybe i'll study a little part-time while working.

it's just so funny...because my family would have LOVED me to go to medschool and would nag me about it (many family members are MD's) but i had NO interest in it at all until now.

all this medical stuff is actually pretty interesting! it's like detective work.

i often think how wonderful it would be to become the kind of doctor we always wished WE had had. lol
    [This Message was Edited on 09/12/2008]
  8. Catseye

Catseye Member

I am considering going back to school, but it would be a naturopathic school where I could study supplements, nutrition and how the body works. Medicine is useless to cure these diseases because doctors don't know anything about supplements and nutrition.
  9. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Actually just finished 2 years of premed and I am in the process of applying now.

It's going to be a stretch with my condition. I am on the more functional end of ME patients. I can work full-time, but barely (e.g. come home from work every day and dive into bed). Still, I had positive brain SPECT, tilt, etc.

I know I can handle the first two years. Whether I can go forward with this project will be determined by whether or not I think I can handle the 3rd year (clinical rotations) and the residency, when the hours crank up a lot.

I am going to need a pretty big break.
  10. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

great idea! integrative medicine will be a booming field, im sure.

yes..nuclear techs make good money and can work p/t...! i am very of luck to you!!!

i hope i get my mind back one day...i NEED to be able to learn agian :-/

11. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

This topic has played on my mind for years now. Not so much to become an MD, but more in the field of naturopathy or a biochemist etc. I have helped tremendous amounts of people due to the research already, which is rewarding, but it would be great to have a qualification.

I also simply can't believe how much more I know about certain things than alot of GP's. Take anti-depressants for example. I was helping my girl get some for her anxiety, and the dr knew barely ANYTHING about anti deps! I had to do most of the talking during the consult, and he kept pausing, then saying "thats a great idea actually", lol.

So yeah I'm only 30, so in theory i could do it. However, having this for 8 years, and its very severe for me, i cant work etc, and have crashes most days, so if i got well, not sure med school would be good for it. I mean you have to do residency - long hours working in ER's sometimes full days, then the next week full nights! So yeah pretty much one of the most stressful jobs around i'd say. If i could take med school and go straight to being a GP without all that hospital stuff inbetween i'd definietly consider it. It's more likely to be naturopathy or something similar though if it happens.