CFS: Menstrual Issues

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybugmandy, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. i have had CFS for over 15 years. just before and during my period, my CFS becomes much worse.

anyone else?

2. pluis

pluis New Member

I have been suffering from 1989, and I am 39 yrs old. My CFS becomes also much worse during and before my period. I really feel afwul!

What have you tried for relief?

I tried nystatin and this helped for one year. Now I am taking birthcontrol but I can't say it helps.

De Meirleir says it is your progesterone hormones which are totally out of control during that time. Dr. Enlander advised me to take birthcontrol, De Meirleir said it wouldn't help.... I am totally frustrated during that time.

3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I got severe endometriosis, PMS and ME/CFS at the same time when I was 28.

ETA: I think everything began following the triggering viral type illness but I cannot be sure I did not have mild endo symptoms or some degree of mild PMS beforehand.

There is a statistically relevant co-incidence of endo and ME. I wonder if there is one between ME and PMS? PMS was awful! B6 helped - a lot!

Hysterectomy for endometriosis which had grown through my bowel because my reports had been blown off for 5 years at 33.

My periods were hellish. They really were.

So, yeah!

It might help if you researched B6 which was helpful but which can cause peripheral neuropathy when really big doses are taken for a long time so must be taken within reason and correctly - the amount in a balanced Bcompex every day and additional B6 taken as needed and only when required.

I really hope things begin to go much better for you, Sue. You've certainly worked hard enough for it!

Peace out,

[This Message was Edited on 11/07/2008]
  4. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

This is definitely an issue for me. I feel i have a worsening of some symptoms during pms and my period(exhaustion, dizziness, weakness). Also, once my period is over...i have a worsening of other symptomsa(irritability, anxiety, foggy thinking, weakness). Its very predictable. Really, i tend to have about 1 decent week a month....that is not as horrible as the rest. I NEVER had issues like this regarding my period until I became sick with CFS. I know my illness is not soley due to hormones...but it is affected by them.

Good luck
  5. BeansMom

BeansMom New Member

Rafiki, I agree there is statistically relevent coincidences of endo and CFS (not sure what ME is...dumb me!) and FM.
    I was diagnosed with endo after a laproscopy. They also found fibroids and a cyst that was in the last stage of "draining" - it all started with painful cysts that were recurring.
    I had some relief after the surgery and then it started stronger and stronger, so I took the hormone injection Lupron for 6 months. I haven't had those really bad pains, but my periods are the WORST and my FM really acts up about 1 1/2 weeks before my period starts. I start getting worse leg pain, groin pain, and inner thigh pain.
    My sleep is out of whack - can't fall asleep, so tired when I get up. Extra emotional and aggitated. As if having FM and CFS alone isn't enough, right!

In fact, I'm about a week out right now before my cycle starts and I'm surely feeling it.
    In bed tonight with some good reading (trashy Jackie Collins!!), my heating pad, a nice cold drink, and my dog!

Have a good weekend ladies!!
  6. pluis

pluis New Member

I am really desperate that time. Before I was better right away when my menstuation was over, but that is changing and I have also about one decent week.
    I also never had issues like that regarding my period until I became sick with CFS.
    I tend to get even worse when the weather gets colder.

Wish I had a solution!