CFS no exercise, FM exercise, what to do when you have both?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Aug 16, 2005.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I know with cfids exercise makes me worse now the doctor says I have fm and wants me to start some water program and to do some exercising when I get over my bronchitis..

Any input on this? Seems with what housework I can manage to do and grocery shopping is about all I can manage..

Has anyone with both found exercise helpful? I mean a very low impact exercise such as walking or some type of water exercise...

I feel I am becoming weaker and worse with this dd so was wondering if I should try to do more even though I think I can't...
  2. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I go to Curves 3 times a week as I can. Sometimes I only can make it twice a week but you can go at your own pace on each station and still work out. It has really helped me. I am still exhausted when i am done this is why I always exercise after work so I know I am just going home. But I feel my muscles aren't as tight and I ache less. Never am I pain free but it has helped it.
    The water work out is good also, just try it and know your limits.
  3. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

I did aquatic therapy 01-04 and it did help me. When you do it in therapy the therapist will not let you over do it. It toke some time to get some strength back, but in the end I was feeling much better.

I was feeling so much better that I got on a motorcycle and tried to ride and didn't make it 2 blocks from the house and had a near fatal accident.

So needless to say it has been 18 months since my accident and I probably am about as good as I will get from the accident. But I am very thankful to be alive.

But about the aquatic therapy it is good, but I later tried to do it on my own, since I had already been through the therapy and knew what to do, but I would always over do it and it wasn't good for me.

And I was already in so much therapy from the accident that I didn't want to use up all my therapy with insurance.
    Love Brenda
  4. davebhoy

davebhoy New Member

gentle yoga is a good starter for exercise when you have cfs. you can buold it up slowly
  5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

just listen to your body and always finish with some more to go!

as in what even you feel you can do do less eg i can do 40 sit ups confidently so i do 20-30

i walk,but i have 3 dogs so i have to walk every day also two kids so i have to get out and about w/them.

as for housework,i potter, a bit here and a bit there but the washer is always going lol.

all excercise is of help even w/m,e you cant just sit and fester.
    which is what my neighbour does! she sits and sits and sits and now has cankles! she has two young children who dont see the light of day unless its for school the third is old ebough to take himself out but is obviously scarred by his experiances-or lack of them and the youngest isnt yet at school.

the mother is diabetic but she also does a bottle of whiskey a day,through the day so if that were to stop then she and her kids would have quality of life.

even when we are at our worst there will always be someone worse off and this woman is missing out on a life and denying her children of their mother. that i wouldnt do!
  6. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

I have both, but my CFIDS absolutely will not allow the kind of exercise I used to do (Curves on steroids, basically). I would probably pass out and spend the next week or two in bed if I tried Curves, but I can do gentle yoga, so I do that when I am able. I think water therapy would be gentle, too, but as I can't swim, I can't do that. (yes, how embarrassing--26 yrs old and can't swim!) So, I would try the water therapy, just go slow.

best,
    Nicole
  7. sues1

sues1 New Member

We are lucky in my area as our YMCA has a heated pool that the bottom can be raised or lowered. They also have a regular pool.

The heated pool is used for Arthitis Exercise Classes. Not all have arthritis, which is okay, still good for the ones with other problems.

People can even come in wheel chairs and walkers and walk right out on the pool and then the pool is lowered to the shortest person or anyone with real fear of too deep of water.

No one needs to know how to swim for these classes.

The exercises are tailored for the ones with limited or painful motion ability. They always emphanize not to do something if it hurts. We walk around in the water and roll our arms and such. It REALLY helps. Nothing to much, it is low impact exercises.

We also have a great hot tub there and other things. Here it is either a Y membership or $3.00 a session. Well worth it.

I have extreme CFIDS and FIBRO and this helps me.

I hope you find something that helps. Blessings and Hugs.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2005]
  8. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

I know how you feel. On the weeks you can barely get out of bed, the idea of exercising is impossible. Driving to a place where you can do water exercise is work in itself.

When I was completely worn out and worried about muscle atrophy I did the following:

* sit on exercise ball while watching TV and bounce up and down on it for 4 min. a day. It's great for keeping the lymph glands drained and helps digestion. My ball is the 65lb pressure one. There's no pressure on your joints.

* use exercise bands and while laying in bed, hook one end under foot and other end in your hand and pull and release. Do as many or as few as you can on each side. I usually did about 10. I got the Denise Austin bands but there are lots of good ones out there. Some of them can hook to your door.

* while laying in bed turn over on side and do leg lifts. Lay on one side and lift opposite leg. I did about 10 -18 on each side.

* while laying in bed do sit up crunches. The mattress keeps your back from hurting.

* I took creatine, low dose. It increases stamina and there are some article saying that FMS/CFS folks are short on creatine.

If any of this makes you tired afterwords or the next day, be sure to reduce the amount the next time. You have to start really slow.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
    Hugs,
    Kris

P.S. One other item I have that works well is the Thigh Master. It's a small coiled thing that you can use sitting down. You just put it between your knees and squeeze. It also works to firm arms. You squeeze it between your hands as you hold it out in front of you. It's pretty inexpensive too.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2005]
  9. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Sues--that YMCA sound great! I wish we had a Y; we have a university in town and they have a pool, but they don't offer many water classes, and the pool is really deep all over, so I couldn't participate, but man--it would be cool to have something like that!

Krista--what great ideas! You gave such thorough explinaations. I think I will try them. I have a big exercise ball, and I have exercise bands and small free weights.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to post really helpful suggestions,
    Nicole
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to all for your excellant suggestions..Our rec center will soon be opening a pool for seniors for those with arthritis etc..but its a 8am I don't get going until a least noon but when it opens will give it a try..

I tried the tia-chia classes and couldn't keep up with a 88 year old woman..they were also at 8 am but after one class got sick and never went back..

I have just tried to cook dinner and do some ironing and now I am done for the day..Just can't do much at all...

How do you get down to sit on the ball and then back up ? haha I can see me rolling in the floor...The bed things I might can do..Gotta try...

Thanks