CFS Only - Does everyone have joint/muscle pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SoxFan, Oct 20, 2005.

1. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

I have some of the classic CFIDS symptoms, but I do NOT have muscle/joint pain. Is the pain ALWAYS (or nearly always) a symptom of CFIDS?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    - Susan
  2. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I occasionally have muscle and joint pain but this is only VERY seldom. Fatigue and the neuro symptoms far outweigh any pain I may feel.

meow
  3. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Hi. If you do have joint pain, it may be that you have Fibro as well as CFIDS. Usually, with CFIDS the main symptom is recurring flu-like symptoms which are debilitating and which are aggravated by even mild physical, mental, or emotional exertion. Make sense? Marie
  4. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I have sometimes achyness pain, gets worse when I have flares. I only get it in my thighs usually. Sometimes my arms feel heavy if i'm in a big flare.

Fatigue is the absolute worse for me!
  5. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

I posted this because the muscle and joint pain are included in the CDC criteria for CFIDS:

"Concurrently have four or more of the following symptoms:
    - substantial impairment in short-term memory or concentration;
    - sore throat;
    - tender lymph nodes;
    - muscle pain;
    - multi-joint pain without swelling or redness;
    - headaches of a new type, pattern or severity;
    - unrefreshing sleep;
    - and post-exertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours."

I just wanted to see if it is unusual it was to NOT have pain with CFIDS. It's tough to say if I have some of these. For instance, I have swollen lymph nodes, but they are only sometimes tender. I don't have a sore throat, but have red "nodes" on the back of my throat. I do have headaches from time to time, but I'm not sure that they're different from before I got this illness. Sometimes, when in a "good" stretch, I can exercise pretty vigorously with no ill effects. It's making me wonder if my illness could be something else??

My doctor has not labeled my illness as CFIDS. She says that it very well may be, but she's avoiding a concrete diagnosis. I know something is very wrong, I know the exact day I got sick, and that I can only handle half the activity that I used to.
  6. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Hey, Susan,
    The people who responded to your question and talked about the achy feeling that varies in intensity and is similar to flu aching are right on the money. That is how it feels to me and what I do is take half of a Darvocet about mid-way through each day and that seems to make coping with that symptom a minor problem. I have CFS and have the achiness, no joint pain or swelling, but do sometimes have some muscle tenderness or stiffness. None of this is worse than the fatigue, sleep disorder, anxiety, and general fogginess that goes on year after year. Those are the debilitating symptoms that have me on disability.

Stay strong -
    Harrysmom
  7. upnorth

upnorth New Member

I think that some people have different severities of the different symptoms.

Like you, I have almost no pain at all. VERY OCCationaly I get an intense muscle ache that is very flu-like.

I don't think one needs to have pain to have cfs/ME

For my cluster of symptoms, the most disabling are excruciating fatigue and muscle weakness and flu symptoms -lymph nodes, constant throat and low grade fevers, head pressure/aches. I also have allergies and IBS caused by CFS (didn't have this b/f)

Hope this helps.
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have more of deep bone ahces no muscle/joint pain..I agree with the other post my worst symptoms are the flu like feeling, fatigue, the mental fog and most of all the anxiety/depression..I call my mental Pain..

Good Post..
    phyl
  9. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

It really gives me peace of mind to be able to ask others with these DDs about their symptoms and experiences. I'm always learning more.

From reading the account of hangininthere and many others, I realize that different symptoms sometimes drift in and out of the course of this illness. It is sad to read about so many who have been ill for so long.

Think I'll start a thread about low grade fevers next. Although it isn't listed by the CDC as a primary symtom, I have heard it mentioned by a lot of people. In my humble opinion, the CDC doesn't seem to know a whole lot about these diseases!
  10. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I see what you mean about the symptoms listing joint pain, sorry about that, sometimes we (I) get a little tunnel vision, know what I mean? This is all so puzzling, confusing, and painful, isn't it?? My life has changed so much as has everybody else's on this board. I think that the FFC's are certainly heading in the right direction, so hopefully, as time goes on we can all get the treatment we need, instead of hearing all the time, "There is no treatment." Take care, and thanks for setting me straight. Marie
  11. kalaya

kalaya New Member

is absolutely not always a symptom of cfids,it is the main symptom of fibromyalgia.Be grateful that on top of the bone crushing weakness and neurological impairment we do not also have awful joint pain.You seem to be confusing fibromyalgia with cfids.They are basicaly one and the same with the exception that people with cfids and cfids only do not have the joint pain,but fibro sufferers have all the symptoms of people with cfids plus the joint pain.God bless.
  12. zerped

zerped New Member

Like you, I don't notice much "achiness" or joint pain; certainly nothing even close to as bad as the fibromyalgia people have. For the last two winters I've been getting cortisone injections in my right hip for what my rheumatologist calls "soft-tissue inflammaetion as a result of chronic fatigue." At my age (51) it wouldn't be a surprise if I had some arthritis, but he doesn't call it that. the inflammation in my left knee and right hip only hit me once the weather gets cool and damp. The rest of the year I have no joint or muscle pain.
  13. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Yes I've always had lots of muscle/joint/knots/cramp/spasms pains.
    Dee50
    Acute EBV CFS