CFS or the FLU

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 19, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

How do you tell the difference between a cfs crash and the flu?

I had been having a good week until Thurs. night and suddenly it hit..I just started feeling horrible, with body aches, sorness, throat a little sore,chills, headache and just like I was in another world..No fever, slight cough, some sinus problems, which I always have..Not sure if it is the flu or a crash..Its so hard to tell since the symptoms are so much a like..If it is a crash it has been a bad one..So far am feeling some better today, just achy and weak...

Thanks,
    greatgran
  2. SueSnyder

SueSnyder New Member

It's funny, because I was just talking about this very subject last night with my husband.

Bad weather tends to bring on my worst crashes, and we've had storms playing around here for the last 3 or 4 days. I've felt "flu-ish": bad headache, all over muscle aches, mild nausea, chills, mild sore throat... but this is how I *always* feel in a bad flare.

I mentioned to my husband that I wished somebody would come up with a multi-symptom "Thera-Flu" type product for FM/CF, then I wondered aloud if Thera-Flu itself might bring any relief. He went to the store.

Turns out that the active ingredient in the flu meds for body aches is... Tylenol! Whoopee. The pharmacist suggested that he buy Excedrin Tension Headache for my head, and Swiss Medica's 024 "Pain Neutralizer" (http://www.024zone.com/) for my muscles. They didn't have the 024 "Fibromyalgia" in stock, but it can be ordered online. It's OTC, and has some decent clinical tests to back up its effectiveness.

I took the Excedrin, and he sprayed my neck/shoulders/back with the 024. Nearly froze me since it's got a lot of camphor, but over the next hour or so it did seem to take the edge off the ache, at least enough to let me get to sleep.

Back to your question... I have NO idea how to tell the difference between a flu virus and a flare, since from a symptom POV they're nearly identical. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, it sure is bad when you are so sick and don't know what is wrong..I haven't felt good in 5 years, even on good days..It sure gets depressing..the not knowing..

Have you tried plain oh vicks vapor rub in place of the 024, I use the vicks and it works as well as anything for me..but I haven't tried the 024..

Hope you are feeling better..I am going to try to make it to the shower I know my husband gets sick of looking at me, but when you don't feel well it takes energy to stay pretty..at least I will be clean...

God Bless,
    greatgran
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

The only way I can tell is if I know there's a flu virus around, otherwise I know it's CFS. I can have some really bad relapses and some mild ones but past year has been very bad for me.

Personally I dont think I get lots of viruses, I got mumps last March and had a sore throat virus which is doing the rounds and is particularly bad. Most winters I can escape flu but still get CFS crashes.

I'm blethering now, I suppose my answer is that its often hard to tell.

love
    Rosie
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Well, the flu bug has been raging here so I might have had both..I could have gone to the doc for the flu test but was to sick..

Its so hard for my family or anyone to really understand how bad we can feel with this dd..

God Bless,
    greatgran
  6. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Comman symptoms of the FLU, Fever, Chest discomfort, aches and pains, headaches, extreme fatigue, sore throat(but mostly colds). Almost identical to CFIDS except sore throat, I think a sore throat and swollen lymph glands are more common to CFIDS. It is very hard to tell. My own beliefs that many CFIDS cases are auto-immune. Since I have had CFIDS and FMS I have not had the FLU per se. I don't get colds and when I feel like I am coming down with the flu no one else in my household gets it. Also when I am around others with the flu I don't get it. Just some thoughts - Bobby
  7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

the only real difference would be a high (above 102) fever with a real flu.
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Not sure what I had but I am one of those that never run a fever since I have had CFS..Thats another puzzling thing of this disease..My temp. usually is 96 or 97 since the dd to my knowledge it has never gone higher.

Anyone never run fevers?

God Bless,
    greatgran
  9. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

My normal temp with CFIDS is in the 97 range. When I get to 99 ish I can feel it and know I have a low grade fever. Never a real high fever like with the flu or other infection.
  10. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Anything that it is in the anti-viral category is kinda scary. I am sure I would take something if I had help C or something that was life threatening. But I don't even want to take the flu shot. I have been keeping an eye on Ampligen which is an immune modulator and seemed to have a lot of promose for CFIDS but now they are heading in any direction to get their product approved. Now with the Avian Flu they mention that Ampligen can increase the effect of Tamiflu by 500% or something like that. Again I would save it for something life threatening; the same way I feel about anti-biotics. Scary stuff...