CFS Patients ONLY Where did you grow up?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

People seem to be finding the fibro post on this subject to be interesting, and so I thought I'd try one just for people with CFS for comparison purposes.

If you have substantial fibro pain (regardless of whether you have CFS), please post on the other thread called "Fibromyalgia Patients Where Did You Grow Up?"

This is for people who have CFS symptoms (with minor or no fibro pain) only.

Did you grow up in the city, suburbs or country? Where have you lived since?

Have there been times in your lives when you've been exposed to a lot of pollution (from factories, automobiles, or other sources)? If so, when was that?

This is not going to be a random sample of the population, but it would be interesting to hear the answers.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/31/2006]
  2. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I think I should be on this post instead of the FMS one.

I have overwhelming pain at times, but I definitely have more CFS than FMS. I mainly grew up in the Northern Californian Suburbs. But for the first 3 years of my life I lived (in Oakland/alameda, CA) very close to industrial areas. Then I moved to Saratoga, Ca. and it is very suburban, complete with a small town feel. It is about 10-15 minutes from San Jose, Ca. San Jose is the 10th largest city in the US. We have high smog days, so called "spare the air days." We average from about 1-10 "spare the air days" a year. Not anywhere as bad as So. California.
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I was born in Cincinnati and lived there until I was 9. Cincinnati is a somewhat more polluted town than many, with cancer deaths a little higher than the national average.

My grandparents lived in a part of the city that had a lot of factory pollution. This was in the 1960s, prior to government regulation. Their "dust" at the time definitely had a lot of chemicals in it. (After my grandmother died, I realized that some of the dishes that she hadn't used since the 1960s had a slightly sticky dull-orange coating on them. Ick.)

I spent time at my grandparents' house throughout my childhood, but not a lot of time.

My grandparents had a flower shop and greenhouse adjacent to their house. On occasion, my grandfather sprayed the plants in the greenhouse for bugs. This was in the 1960s, which was before environmental regulations.

My siser and I made mud pies and played in the greenhouse where the chemicals had been sprayed. My grandparents also used paint sprays on occasion, and so I inhaled some of that when I was visiting. This was not terribly often though.

When I was 9, my family moved to the country outside of Indianapolis. We lived on the corner, and had cows across one road and a corn/soybean field across the other.

I recall a lot of manure smell from the fields when I was growing up, but I don't recall much chemical spraying. I would guess the fields around us must have been sprayed, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a whole lot or I would recall it. There's lots of rain in Indiana and so the dirt didn't blow around.

In high school and early college I did some darkroom work on a regular basis (a couple of hours, once or twice a week) for about three years.

I moved to the leafy moneyed north suburbs of Chicago for college and have been here ever since.

I got sick in 1996, when I was 32. I have CFS only, occasional stiff muscles (alleviated by yoga) but no other fibro pain.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/31/2006]
  4. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i also am in the bay area. 10 min north of san jose.
    although the generation (my mother) before me grew up in fresno with lots of pestisides. Alot of people are intruiged by that cause there is alot of health problems in that generation.
  5. mxmom419

mxmom419 New Member

Grew up in the country on a lake in northern Michigan then at 17 moved to Pontiac Michigan lived 2 miles from the GMC foundry and 7 years later moved to mid Michigan by flint in the country. Lived there for 8 years and moved here to sunny Florida. Midstate and country like. I really thought I had lymes because of living in Michigan and had been bit by deer ticks before. My tests came back neg. I've barely been diagnosed. I've been sick a year and do not know the cause of my CFS yet.
  6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

London in the 1950s was very smoggy because the government was selling all our country's quality coal abroad to pay off our war debt,leaving us with only highly polluting low grade coal to burn. We often had to go out with scarves over out mouths.
  7. Catseye

Catseye Member

Born in Venezuela, dad is from California, was down there working for an oil company and my mom was his secretary! Moved to NY, (Chappaqua of all places!, less than a mile from where Hilary has her house, I used to wait for the bus by her street; well, there went the neighborhood), when I was 4. Stayed there 'til I was 11, then moved to Miami, an hour south of "South Miami", not industrialized at all. That's when the hay fever and cat allergies started. Since my mom has hispanic roots, I probably should not have been drinking milk even back then, that's why I had the allergies. But in 1977, who knew milk was bad?

Graduated high school in '83, went to college in Gainesville, Jacksonville, Switzerland and Tallahassee. My parents went to Abu Dhabi for 5 years when I graduated from high school and I went there a few times (that's a whole other solar system over there). After graduating from FSU, lived in Tallahassee for awhile, then moved to Thomasville, GA, not too far away, not a big city. And then Dominican Republic last year, to get away from US to try to heal. I don't remember much "city pollution" that I was exposed to.

8. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Always lived in suburbs, but worked in the city for many years.

Not sure what my exposures have been. But I do have a mouthful of mercury. Many amalgams. Plan to have them removed this spring or summer.
  9. elliespad

elliespad Member

Literally, 4 feet, from a Pesticide Company (see my BIO). Explains it all.
  10. KelB

KelB New Member

Apart from 3 years at uni, I've lived on the south coast of teh UK all my life - mostly rural or seaside towns.

However, during the years around my conception & birth, the military performed tests off the coast that involved them releasing chemical agents into the air from naval ships, to track which way they blew and how they were diluted in the atmosphere.

11. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Near 3 mile island also- PA. Jolielulu- Find another topic thread about the FFC in phili if you can- I'll post it.
  12. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I was born in Seattle and lived there till I was 10, and then we moved to Santa Barbara. So I wasn't exposed to heavy industrial pollution, although I had several mercury amalgam fillings. I did have severe stress growing up, combination of sexually abusive father, emotionally distant mom and Catholic schools.

13. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan, great childhood. But, I had multiple dental amalgam fillings (mercury) when I was a young teenager, so it turns out not to matter much where I lived, I carried my own toxins with me wherever I went. I have lived in small towns without much pollution since childhood. Marie
  14. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I was born in Chicago and lived on the southside near the steel mills. You could see them from my bedroom window. We moved out to the burbs and open spaces when I was eleven. Lots of allergies.

I lived in Michigan while in college. Allergies subsided with the fresh lake breezes.

Now I live in the Chicago burbs again, but it is much busier and more polluted. The whole area is.

15. lavender14

lavender14 New Member

Lived her all my life. I have lived in 3 different citys aroung here. None near chemical plants.

Although, I have given thought to all, and I mean ALL(a lot) of cleaners my mom used when I was growing up. She cleaned all the time. and back then there were no safe products for cleaning.

also, she smoked, so---maybe somethingg here too!!!!!

16. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Come on Ya'll there's gotta be more CFS people on this message board than this!

Peace and Love, Sean :)
  17. mdshrontz

mdshrontz New Member

Hi - my first post - Tom can't use the computer (can't sit very long and can't type) but he grew up in Akron, Ohio (Goodyear Tire Plants are in Akron) suburb, moved to East side suburb of Cleveland in 20's and got married to me - was a painter and wallpaper hanger as a livelihood. Got CFS 11 years ago at around 48. Could have been chemicals in paint, He feels he was predisposed to CFS. Also has upper and lower spine pain.
  18. genes

genes New Member

I grew up in rural Saskatchewan as well. People spray their crops, but not so often as say a nursery might, and I never worked directly with them myself. I stuck to livestock. Didn't have significant problems with illness or allergies or anything as a kid.

In 2002 I came to University in Southwestern Ontario. It's not far from Toronto, but we aren't fully under their cloud (ie, no smog warnings here) and I only spent one summer out of 4 here. I got sick just at the end of 2005, with epidsodes of severe weakness. I had a bad cough right before, but that is it.
  19. lrgatplay

lrgatplay New Member

I grew up in Wichita KS on the fringe of the city at that time. Not much nearby except the air force base. The B-52's would fly over several times a day. We used to play in a nearby creek that of course was the runoff for the streets. Back then more fish and frogs and tadpoles and crawdads still lived in it and it was fairly clear.
    Jordan lived there in the same house when my mom remarried and moved out to the country. I don't think he ever played in that creek though. It's pretty awful now. There are some huge turtles and fish in some spots but don't know about the others as the water is so dirty. Since then we've lived in a suberb south of the city.
    One time we got hit by a tornado, barely missed us but caused some damage. There was a lot of damage in the town, and they just made piles of debris and burned it. The smoke blew over us for weeks. Lord knows what was in that pile being burned. I'm surprised no one complained, that I heard of.
    When we moved out to a rural area a few years ago Jordans allergies definitely got worse. But there are so many simultaneous events. We're moving back into town now. Next month. We'll see if the seasonal allergies are as bad.

Sure would like to see a public registration list of all people who have CFS /FM. I think it would be eye opening.
    I met a guy the other day at Lowes who is also from Haysville. He was telling me about his Parkinsons but as we got to talking more I suspected he had something like CFS. He said he had only so much energy to use and needed to finish his shopping. When I saw him again at the checkout he looked really wiped out.

Have you noticed that there are more and more ads targeted to symptoms that many CFS/FM people suffer? The awareness is definitely getting around. Also the grocery stores carry many more organic items. Its a revolution.

We need to get LOUD.

Hope everyone is having a tolerable day. Take care.

20. grace54

grace54 New Member

NY adirondack mountains for 17 years then N. Michigan near the great lakes 35 years. Carpentry trade, handled treated wood with arsenic, lots of wood dust, paint. Workrd in manufacturing plant breathing coolants, cast iron dust, now that I think of it its a wonder I'm still here and smoked too many years.