CFS Rapid Pulse

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Spring123, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Spring123

Spring123 New Member

All, Does anyone experience a very rapid pulse when feeling very tired? When i wake in the AM and get out of bed, i notice my pulse is beating out of my neck so hard & fast. Does anyone have that symptom? I am wondering if this is due to my CF.... No doctors were concerned since my BP was normal. My skin on my face also gets very hot like I need to put cold compresses on it. Anyone???
  2. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Do you ever have low blood pressure issues with your CFS? When I first wake up in the morning I experience that. When I wake up and get out of bed to go to the bathroom it feels like my heart is beating fast and hard like you said and sometimes I too feel hot.

For me it seems to be my low blood pressure/CFS. Before I even get out of bed I have to sit up for a minute to adjust. I think it is my body trying to compensate from laying down sleeping to getting up and walking.

I notice that if I give myself time to sit up and adjust it is much better.

Pam
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

Make sure you're getting enough minerals, electrolytes and that you're not dehydrated. When I took care of those, I stopped having this problem. If you are waking up dehydrated, is it because you're going to the bathroom alot during the night?

karen
  4. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

YES. This was one of my first symptoms when I got CFS back when I was 19 or so. When I got up in the morning...took a shower...etc - my heart would be racing like crazy. I did NOT have high blood pressure at that time, either. I had several EKG's during that time - heart was always ok, just tachycardic.

Fast forward to a few months ago - I wore a holter monitor and did a 24hr heart test. This is the best way for you doc to see what's going on with your heart. My doctor couldn't believe my results. ANY time that I was active (meaning not at complete rest) - my heart rate zoomed up to the 140's, 150's. Basically I was running a marathon for the whole day. With this and some other tests I was diagnosed with POTS. I'm on a calcium channel blocker; it's helping but not completely eliminating the problem.

I would really recommend asking your doctor if you can do the holter monitor test. BUT, yes, this is a symptom of CFS - but it can mean a ton of other things as well.

Also, whenever this happened to me - my body temperature would also increase and I'd have the flushed, hot face/skin, etc. Good luck - let us know what you find out.

--Tina
  5. Spring123

Spring123 New Member

Pam,
    I'm not sure if I have low Blood Pressure but i will find out. Its nice to know that I am not the only one with this. Sometimes it is fast even if I am lying down or sitting. Thanks for the reply...
  6. Spring123

Spring123 New Member

Karen,
    I do go to the bathroom a lot at night, 2 - 3 times. I drink a lot of water during the day though so why would I be dehydrated? How can I tell if I am depleted of minerals? What can I take for that?

Thanks
    Dina
  7. Spring123

Spring123 New Member

Thanks Tina! I will ask my Doctor for the holter Monitor. I have a lot of Heart disease in my family so this symtom really scares me.
  8. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Try to find out about your blood pressure. When I go to the doctor sometimes mine is about normal but most of the time it is low. Sometimes it runs 90s over 60s. I would have it checked.

Also Karen had some good suggestions. You may want to look up her posts about what helped her. She started taking lots of vitamins/mineral supplements along with a good quality electrolyte drink. That may help you as well.

Good Luck!
    Pam
  9. Catseye

Catseye Member

I asked about the water because sometimes the hpa axis is damaged in cfs people and the hypothalamus doesn't signal the pituitary to manufacture the anitdiuretic hormone at night. It's what keeps your kidneys recirculating water instead of puttting it into the bladder all night. I had that problem until I started taking desmopressin, the synthetic version of that hormone.

I was waking up every 2 hours at night with a full bladder and severe dehydration - each time I got up I'd have to drink a glass of water. It burned out my adrenals real bad and caused other problems. So I was just wondering if you were waking up dehydrated. My heart would beat fast whenever I was dehydrated. When you get up to go at night, is your bladder full and your mouth somewhat dry? And is your heart beating fast in the middle of the night? Another thing that could make your heart beat fast is adrenaline, which will happen if you're dehydrated. Also, do you ever feel like you're not getting enough oxygen even though you're breathing normaly?

It took awhile for me to figure out I had a mineral deficiency. The minerals that are responsible for the heart beating properly are particularly magnesium, calcium and potassium. I was eating lots of veggies which have alot of minerals but I still needed them from a bottle. So I started a good mineral supplement and drinking an electrolyte solution 2-3 times a day and I got over the heart palpitations and rapid beats. Make sure you take an easily absorbable form of magnesium like glycinate, taurate or malate, NOT magnesium oxide.

All my tests from the doctors have always been normal so I just started figuring from my symptoms that I needed a lot more nutrients than I was getting from food. I was eating well but I obviously wasn't able to absorb and assimilate the nutrients from the food I was eating, my body just got too damaged.

best wishes,

karen
  10. Spring123

Spring123 New Member

Karen,
    Thanks for all the clinical info. You really know your stuff:) My bladder does feel full in the middle of the night, but I don't think that my mouth is dry. On occassion I feel the need to drink water at night but not a lot. I will try those supplements you suggested and let you know. Your much more helpful that my doctor!

Thanks
  11. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I have been dx with POTS as well, I am on a beta blocker. That has bought my pulse way down, more so than the calcium channel blocker,which I tried one time and set my heart racing again, which I have heard does not affect the heartrate as much. BUT, that is one on my worst sx, having the heart pounding thing in the am. The beta blocker keeps my heart rate and blood pressure down, but I can not get up out of bed without sitting or lying for awhile. Or I feel absolutely horrible. Including extreme shivers and trembles. I am actually being sent to John Hopkins in Baltimore as I have had this for a while and no one can figure it out! Apparently there are alot over 100 neuros there and my primary is thinking all of them in the movement disorders could maybe help figure this out. The weird thing is the deeper and better I sleep the worse it is! Also since I bought a blood pressure cuff, I found out my BP jumps all over the place. Like when my heart rate goes up it goes way up, then sometimes will be real low and usually normal in a Dr. office.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/02/2007]
  12. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Karen how much of the vitamins you mentioned to you take daily?
  13. Catseye

Catseye Member

Okay, it's alot. I have to get out all my bottles and add them up. This is just vitamins and minerals. If you want to know EVERYTHING I take, you can look at my What Worked For Me post. I started out with all of those and have cut back on alot because I'm feeling so much better. It's too much to list here. I have another post "quick relief plan of attack for cfs . . ." which lists ones to get you started.

I use 3 main ones for vits and mins:

This is the Daily Energy Enfusion powder I take everyday:

Vitamin A (50% as beta carotene and as retinyl acetate) 7,000 IU 140%
    Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) 750 mg 1,250%
    Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 600 IU 150%
    Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl acetate) 100 IU 333%
    Biotin 200 mcg 67%
    Iodine (as potassium iodide) 150 mcg 100%
    Magnesium (as magnesium glycinate) 200 mg 50%
    Zinc (as zinc sulfate) 15 mg 100%
    Selenium (as L-selenomethionine) 200 mcg 286%
    Copper (as copper gluconate) 500 mcg 25%
    Manganese (as manganese citrate) 4 mg 200%
    Chromium (as Chromium picolinate) 200 mcg 167%
    Molybdenum (as sodium molybdate) 250 mcg 333%
    Sodium 25 mg 1%
    Potassium (from whey protein, guar gum, potassium citrate, and potassium iodide) 50 mg 1%
    Whey Protein 7 g *
    Malic Acid 900 mg *
    Inositol 750 mg *
    Inulin (from chicory root) 750 mg *
    Betaine 750 mg *
    Hesperidin 50% (from citrus fruits) 500 mg *
    Taurine 500 mg *
    Glycine 390 mg *
    L-Tyrosine 377 mg *
    N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) 250 mg *
    Boron (as sodium borate) 2 mg *
    L-Serine 240 mg *
    Stevia (Stevia rebaudiana) Leaf Extract 15:1 70 mg *
    Boron (as sodium borate) 2 mg

I also use Kreb's Cycle Chelates:
    This is the amount in 4 pills but I usually only take about 3 pills everyday:

Calcium (as CFMSA chelate) 600.00 mg 60%
    Iron (as CFMSA chelate) 5.00 mg 28%
    Iodine (from marine organic minerals) 100.00 mcg 67%
    Magnesium (as CFMSA chelate) 400.00 mg 100%
    Zinc (as CFMSA chelate) 15.00 mg 100%
    Selenium (as CFMSA chelate) 75.00 mcg 107%
    Copper (as CFMSA chelate) 1.00 mg 50%
    Manganese (as CFMSA chelate) 2.00 mg 100%
    Chromium (as CFMSA chelate) 100.00 mcg 83%
    Molybdenum (as CFMSA chelate) 25.00 mcg 33%
    Sodium 10.00 mg <1%
    Potassium (as CFMSA chelate) 100.00 mg 3%
    Boron (as CFMSA chelate) 4.00 mg *
    Vanadium (as CFMSA chelate) 50.00 mcg

I also use potassium aspartate 220 mg and
    magnesium aspartate 300 mg

I actually forgot to take my Kreb's pills yesterday until about 3pm. Just got stupid and preoccupied. By 3pm I was feeling weak, irritable, more tired than usual and like I was starving. When I finally realized all this, what I do is look back and see if I was missing one of my supplements for that day. Sure enough, it was the minerals. So I took some and was back to normal (what is "normal" for me right now, anyway) within 2 hours.

It's sad that doctors won't go over these simple deficiencies as part of their strategy for helping us. I think most people here are just starved for a few things and they assume, like I once did, that if it was something simple like a vitamin or mineral, the doctor would surely tell them. But no, almost 4 years after I first got sick, I have finally figured out what to do. And 90% of it is all nutrients, amino acids are particularly important. At least, if not moreso, than the vitamins and minerals.

If people would take the time to track down their symptoms themselves on the net and figure out what nutrients they're lacking in, they could really help themselves. That's what I did. Even if your adrenals are fatigued, let's say, you just take the nutrients they need, like:

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid and from rose hips) 150.00 mg
    Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl) 50.00 mg
    Pantothenic Acid (as calcium D-pantothenate, vit B5) 100.00 mg
    Adrenal Polypeptide Fractions† 400.00 mg *
    Betaine 250.00 mg *
    L-Tyrosine 250.00 mg *
    Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) Root and Rhizome Extract standardized to contain 5% glycyrrhizic acid 200.00 mg *
    Adrenal Cortex Extract 33.00 mg

These are the ingredient on the bottle of the adrenal support supplement I used before. Even Prohealth on this site has alot of great products if you just research and figure out what nutrients you need. I use their whey protein powder Immunplex for glutathione production (not alot, I have dairy issues) and their amino acid complex. I love their amino acid complex because it is dairy and gluten free.

good luck!

karen
  14. Spring123

Spring123 New Member

Nightngale,
    That is exactly how I feel with my racing pulse! I wonder if I need a Beta blocker??? I am so frustrated that no doctor seems to care about this. For 20 years I was made to believe that this symptom is no big deal. Please let me know how your apt. goes at John Hopkins...

Thanks,
    Dina
  15. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Spring 123 - Can you ask the doctor who prescribed the calcium channel blocker to try a beta blocker?Whoops I got you mixed up with someone else, sorry. I have to get a bunch of paperwork to the doctor at Hopkins before they even set up an appointment. I finally got a letter from my primary but it was worded all crazy, that I had been to their clinic, etc. So now I have to go see why they wrote that...I have been complaining about this problem for years and she is the first one to finally turn me over to someone who may be able to help. It has been exremely frustrating. I was looking at sx on the web yesterday and stuff abut temporal lobe issues started intriguing me. For partial seizures. Before the bb and xanax and clonopin sometimes I felt like I was going to passout I can't even describe how weird and awful it feels. I think i need a sleep study. You have to just keep trying and trying and changing doctors sometimes. I have even started saying to a new Dr. "so and so Dr. mentioed I may have (whatever)" inorder to get heard!!!!I know that is awful but I had the POTS symptoms for years and had to go through 3 cardiologists before I found one who knew what it was. By the way where do you live? I live in Maryland. Just wondering if I could help find you a doc here.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2007]
  16. nightngale

nightngale New Member

THanks, I know that was a big effort. Now is all that in one pill or each one separate? Or is all that powder stuff mixed into a drink? Wow that is alot of stuff. sooo tired and wiped out today. I had the whole day free and bought some quilting stuff of course I don't feel like doing it unless I have no time. I bought a cutting board, cutting wheel and ruler of some type. And borrowed my friends sewing machine. I guess I will try tomorrow. I had my 3 year old granddaughter Thursday night who always wakes up at night and I was feeling better yesterday! Even though It wipes me out her mom needs someone's help.She is a a bind right now. I guess I crashed. I love the little thing so much my little angel.

Thanks again I will check the other posts.

Peace to you tonight.[This Message was Edited on 02/03/2007]
  17. Catseye

Catseye Member

The first one is powder and the others are pills. I like powders. You can spread them out throughout the day and that seems to be better than taking everything all at once. Daily Energy Enfusion is a powder that Dr. Teitelbaum formulated. He had cfs himself when he was in medical school. It's really life-saving stuff.

best wishes,

karen